Author Topic: Spiderman 2 Movie Thread  (Read 6589 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Spider-Man 2!
« Reply #45 on: July 5, 2004, 02:09 PM »
They did set up the villians for the next several films, like Dr. Connors (Lizard), and Venom/Carnage (John Jameson brings the symbiotes from space).

Okay, this is a source of some confusion for me.  I recall the Venom symbiote/black costume originating in the Secret Wars limited series.  Granted, I quit collecting comics a couple of years later, but what gives?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: July 6, 2004, 10:24 AM »
They did set up the villians for the next several films, like Dr. Connors (Lizard), and Venom/Carnage (John Jameson brings the symbiotes from space).

Okay, this is a source of some confusion for me.  I recall the Venom symbiote/black costume originating in the Secret Wars limited series.  Granted, I quit collecting comics a couple of years later, but what gives?

Correct at least as far as the origin goes.  I didn't read Spidey at all but didn't Reed Richards find out that the costume was more than it appeared and he found out how to remove it from Peter?  It then possessed someone else who became Venom

How did the Ultimate Spider-Man Venom origin work?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 6, 2004, 10:46 AM »
Never read the Ultimate stuff, almost $10 an issue for that up here :o  No thanks.  

Richards discovered that sound was required to get the symbiote off spidey.  I still have all those issues somewhere around.  

Good movie, BTW.  Enjoyed it quite a bit, aside from the usual buffoons behind that think your row of seats is their personal leg press machine ::)

spoiler-like discussion
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
I am really very tired of them having Mary Jane get married (almost) in every show.  People really aren't like that, are they?  Ooh, I can't have who I want, I'll marry you.  Geez people, weak part of the story.  

Also not keen on the re-emergence of the Green Goblin with junior.  Oh I know, it's true to the comic books and that is great, but I really don't need to see a revamped version of the first movie.  Even the comic book was unable to sufficiently distance itself from the original GG idea and was at least subtley repetitive.  The Spiderman/Marvel universe is so rich with potential villains that going back to a Green Goblin story line would be disappointing, at least to me.  If it's peripheral as an unresolved issue, so be it, but go with someone else.  Mysterio, Venom, Black Cat (who I presume is out since it looks like MJ and Pete may now be together), Lizard.  

Dang it, bring on the Sinister Six.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 6, 2004, 02:44 PM »
Hey, if you guys have not seen LEGO's Spider-Man: The Peril of Doc Ock, give it a watch. It's a hoot!  ;D

The Peril of Doc Ock!

I just saved the target to my PC.  ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 6, 2004, 03:24 PM »
Just watched it, thanks for posting that DSJ...that was pretty funny, and entertaining :D.  Might have to save that myself.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 7, 2004, 08:14 AM »
Saw it last night and thought it was great.  Alfred Molina was perfect as Doc Ock.  Wish he had more screen time.  The train fight was outstanding, as was any scene with JJ.

And they really set up the next movie with any four possibities, although the last two are probably stretching it - Lizard, Harrygoblin, Man-wolf or Venom.

Definitely want to see it again.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 7, 2004, 07:13 PM »
How did the Ultimate Spider-Man Venom origin work?

if i'm not mistaken, the symbiote is an oscorp project in the ultimate series. they could easily work that into the storyline, with harry taking over oscorp for his dead daddy. i know it had something to do with eddie brock and peter, with eddie showing peter the symbiote because it was his destiny or something? i think in the ultimate universe, eddie brock's dad works at oscorp. i'll have to go and dig out those issues and take a look.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #53 on: July 7, 2004, 09:52 PM »
IIRC, the Ultimate version of the symbiote was a project Peter's and Eddie's fathers were working on to cure cancer. I think it was for Oscorp, but I can't remember.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2004, 12:06 PM »
Finally got around to seeing this on Sunday...

Very good movie.  I really liked it, and I think I liked it better than the first one.  I can see that they are really thinking ahead, because (as others have already said), there were lots of little clues/foreshadowing for upcoming events.

I liked the way Molina handled Doc Ock.  I also liked the way that Molina "fit" the Doc Ock persona.  No need for a rippled-Ab super-villian, Doc Ock had all the extra flab a sciencey-type dork would have ;)

Anyway, just wanted to add on my kudos on a job well done.  If you haven't seen it yet, add my name to the growing list of those who highly recommend it!

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender