Author Topic: What happened to Chewie?! Photo archives question  (Read 5470 times)

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
What happened to Chewie?! Photo archives question
« on: April 9, 2006, 10:03 PM »
From JD's photo archives:

Is that a custom? He definately looks like the VOTC body, but where the heck is the head from?? ??? This was the only picture of him, from the VOTC Han archive.

Sorry if this is off-topic, in the wrong forum, or bad to post about in general :( I was just looking through and saw this image and was puzzled.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Chewie?! Photo archives question
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2006, 10:21 PM »
That looks like the Early Bird set Chewie.  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 03:42 AM »
That'd be correct.  That's the early bird Chewbacca figure, which uses the VOTC sculpt except a new ANH/ESB styled Chewbacca head.  A really great figure overall.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 05:26 PM »
Oh, okay. :) He is kinda cool, between the two figures you'd have a SA, high-detail Chewie for every occasion. The early bird figure seems to be pretty rare though so I'll probably just be aiming for a VOTC Chewie and a ROTS Chewie.

I find his expression interesting, though- he's got this closed-mouth grin. The majority of Chewbaccas seem to have this whole "arrrrr!" thing going on.

Personally I kinda like how Falcon Mechanic Chewie and his many merry reprints did it, though- that expression was the most neutral/multipurpose I think.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 06:19 PM »
EB kits have been clearancing like mad...  The due-date has come and gone though now in just the past couple weeks here, but I wouldn't put the "rare" lable on that figure at this point.  I'm sure someone otu there has a number of that Chewbacca available.  Honestly I'd like a couple more but the one I have will suit me...  The sets were in massive abundance around the country though, and many clearanced low quickly, so I'm sure the figures from the set will become available via trades.

Put it on a want list, you may get a taker.  You figure if someone got the set on clearance, they'd perhaps sell the figures for what average retail is on figures...  That's not a bad deal for everyone involved.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 01:24 AM »
He's one of the best SW figs ever.  I absolutely love him, and wish I had more.  I hope Hasbro sees fit to put him back out there in some capacity.  I currently have a vintage Yoda riding on his back.   :)

Online Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2006, 06:57 AM »
Yeah he really is a great figure. I was lucky to pick up several EB kits on clearance for $5 each so I have, 3 of that particular version of Chewie to fill out my dioramas.

On the other hand I'm still looking for a loose VOTC Chewie...
"This is the way."