Author Topic: Ever have anything stolen?  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Ever have anything stolen?
« on: May 11, 2004, 08:16 AM »
Just got some stuff taken from my unlocked car.  My own fault but it still sucks.  I was thinking of other times in my life where things have been stolen.  The only other time was in my sophomore year of college.  Someone broke into our apartment and opened my bedroom door.  My room mate was staying at his girlfriends and I sleepily said "trevor???"  I heard the guy say **** and start running I was up chasing after him in an instant.  It was winter and I was in my undies and t-shirt so I wasn't going to chase after him in the snow.

All he got from us was some CD's but it was still pretty freaky

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
Re: Ever have anything stolen?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 10:24 AM »
Nothing stolen from my house or anything, but once when I was 15 I bought a laptop computer "from a guy in the back of a truck"... should have known better.

For my $140 I got a nice box with a brick in it...

Oh well, at least I talked him down from $500... live and learn.
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 11:05 AM »
Oh Lord, yeah.  

Car Stereo.  Four times >:(

Twice in the driveway of my parents house.  Once at my first apartment.  Once in the parking lot at the University.  

My car was also broken into in the underground parking garage of my third apartment.  So much for secure parking.  They couldn't take the stereo at teh time because I had moved to a pull out deck.  

Five broken windows >:( >:(  They were all taken from my Honda CRX which had an alarm in it.  Fat lotta good it did.

My bike was stolen when I was in grade 7 or 8 too.  It was locked but they cut and left the lock.  

That about cuts it.  I refuse to put high end stereos in the car now (Nissan Altima) though I have upgraded the deck (removable face plate) and am about to upgrade the speakers.  The first stereo stolen was simply beautiful.  Harmon Kardon deck and amp to run the front speakers.  Front speakers were also Harmon Kardon.  Blaupunkt amp to run the rear Bose 101 speakers.  Far and away the best car stereo I ever owned.  

:'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:46 AM »
Yep, back in 91. Went to go fishing with a friend of mine & stayed over at his place that night so we could get an early start & save some time driving across town to pick him up. I had the trolling motor on the back seat covered with a blanket.

We got up at 3 am & went to the car & we could see something was wrong. The left rear window was busted & the motor was gone & so was my camera in the glove compartment. So much for that trip!  >:(

Then 3 yrs later I got home from a late night fishing trip & put the car in the garage. I was still living with my parents. Dad woke me up & told me the garage was broken into.

There goes the trolling motor again, they took it from the storage in the rafters. Also taken were 2 fish finders, assorted fishing equipment, various garage tools, loose change from the car, 2 pks of smokes & my leather jacket.

My parents went on vacation for 3 months after that & in that time, I put bars on the windows & an alarm system in the garage & house.

Peace of mind I guess.  :-\

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 12:42 PM »
I have had nothing stole from me except for a few toys back in third grade from some classmates.  
My work has been affected by thefts though since we base hours on who much stuff we sell and since we don't sell what they steal I lose some hours.  Its fun to see this theifs get caught though and get a chance to see who it is like the guy who was caught yesterday stealing a $5.00 steak.  Then again you get the guys who carry knives and other weapons like the guy yesterday who pulled a knive on Loss Prevention because he was stealing baby fourmla which he got away with doing yesterday, he was caught by the cops and is still sitting in The Twin Tower jails.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 02:13 AM »
I once had a PFD (personal floatation device) stolen from the backseat of my car. It didn't fit me anymore, but I still hope the f--- who stole it drowns because he forgot to put it on.

Things are damn expensive. I got a better one, but the thought still pisses me off.
At least they didn't try stealing my Sea-Doo.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 02:24 PM »
Let's see:

2 lawnmowers
2 chainsaws
3 ceiling fans (uninstalled)
toolbox
2 car stereos
bag of guitar stuff (effects, tuner)
tons of cds, from my car and from a "security" storage site

I dunno, that's all I remember now, though I know I've had other stuff ripped off.  The worst is the damage from thieves - like smashing my car window to get a case of CD-Rs - all just worthless. The best is when the joke's on the thieves - like they also hauled away two TVs from my storage space - both broken!  Haha.  Its usually so aggravating, but its just stuff.  Maybe if I'd get out of the hoods I'd have better luck.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 04:45 PM »
Pokemon cards. Laugh all you wan't, but then, they were great to me. They stole two cards I had a sale worked out for, at 150 each. >:(

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 04:53 PM »
Hmm...  Three car break-ins for me, as far as I remember:  2 stereos, one Swiss army knife, one power drill.  Good thing I don't keep anything more exciting in my cars than that!

I've also lost a lot of CDs and cassettes to people I've loaned them to in the past.  Not technically stealing, but when you don't get a good 40 or so albums back over the years, it still sucks.

Had the family's house broken into when I was about 14 as well, right in the middle of a Saturday afternoon no less.  They swiped a TV, some jewelry, and a few other random things.  Fortunately, the cops caught the bastards shortly thereafter, and we got all our loot back.   8)

I think that's about it.  Not too bad, all things considered...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 04:54 PM »
I've had my car broken into three times since last September.

Stereo once from work
Stereo once from gated secured parking garage complex
Stereo and box of European travel mementos from car in ultra tight new condo garage (face of stereo was in the glove box but they got it - video footage of criminals and liscence plate, but no footage of the actual crime.

The last incident was in Feb.  I've left NOTHING and I mean nothing in my car since then.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 04:58 PM »
I had my whole entertainment center and CD's and DVD's swiped from my house when I was on vacation.  I still can't believe I didn't hear him, sucky thing was it was in the winter and the broken window left the apartment mighty cold.  Kudos to the neighbors for helping out on that one ::)
Bang Bang

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 12:19 AM »
The crime rate by my work has gotten pretty high in recent days first the shoplifter with the knife and today some lady got her car stolen from our parking lot.  Luckly nothing has happen to me or my property yet.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 12:25 AM »
The crime rate by my work has gotten pretty high in recent days first the shoplifter with the knife and today some lady got her car stolen from our parking lot.  Luckly nothing has happen to me or my property yet.

We're having similar problems around my work.  I work right in downtown Dallas - and in the last 3 weeks, we've had one guy's car broken into, one guy's car stolen, and one guy assaulted by one of the many homeless guys who hang out in the area.

This is all right in the same spot that break-in number 1 of my 3 happened.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 10:40 AM »
Well, lets see...

I had a cd discman and some cds stolen from my car, so I stopped putting anything of any value in my car. Then, from time to time I would find my car door ajar, and the loose change would be gone. That only made me smile, because I would imagine some crackhead was speeding towards his demise because of my "contribution". F--k him.

I was robbed at gunpoint while walking to the subway. That sucked, but the dirtbag only got $11...and my old cellphone. I followed him down into the trainstation, since there's been cops down there all the time since Sept 11, and I thought maybe I could corner him with a cop (I was pissed off), but he got out another entrance.

About a month after that, I went outside and my car was gone. That sucked. The cops recovered it in Brooklyn (a few miles away from my apartment), and of course then there were all sorts of fees to pay.

I've moved to a better part of town since then.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline jkno

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
stealing from you
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 04:14 AM »
Did you ever have stuff stolen from you? From your house from your car?

A friend of mine when returned home from vacation found his car broken in and everything of value inside stolen. This hapenned yesterday. Or at least thne he saw the missing things from his car.

I have also a funny story about this. 4 years ago I was working at Spiru Haret high school. They had there lots of dogs from the street and they took care of them. Before going to work I stopped by in town to buy something (doesn't matter what). In my old car (in those days I had a really old car) I had a bag with food for the dogs, bones etc. When getting back from the store I saw that the bag with the dog food was gone. Everything else in my car was there, not touched. So the thief wanted that food...