Author Topic: Your Favorite Star Wars Figure Line?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Your Favorite Star Wars Figure Line?
« on: March 22, 2003, 02:04 AM »
What's your overall favorite Star Wars figure line?

Mine would have to be Vintage, because I truly think they look the best.  I'm not all for the "action" figures of today's standards, and I love how my Imperial Soldiers stand perfectly at attention.  They're not all humped over, or in some stupid pose.  They also bring back so many memories of growing up and playing Star Wars with my little brother.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2003, 10:53 AM by dustrho »
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Your Favorite Figure Line?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2003, 02:32 AM »
Not sure if you're referring to just Star Wars figure lines or any figure lines Chris, but since I only do SW anyways, no worries for me at least.  Shoot...  That's a tough call, and it really depends on how I look at it to figure out what my answer is.

The Vintage line would probably barely win out due to pure nostalgia for me.  The "play" factor was top notch, since I was still a kid, and especially with all those cool different vehicles and playsets.  Fun times.  Best cardbacks of all time as well...

But the POTJ line has to run a very close second though.  Totally collector oriented - new figures, background/obscure characters, heavy in OT, great sculpts with neutral stances, finally accurate scaling, etc.  As far as figure quality goes, this line wins hands down with me.  But it just can't quite squeeze past the Vintage nostalgia though.

Perhaps the upcoming "POTJ2" line later this year (really the Saga line after the split from the Clone Wars line) might climb up the ranks as well, depending on what else Hasbro's got in their bag of tricks for the next couple years 'til Ep. 3 hits...  Hopefully some really cool stuff!

But the bottom line is that I really love them all!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2003, 02:43 AM by JediMAC »

Jango Fettish

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2003, 09:48 AM »
POTJ, and I just echo the sentiments of Matt, there. Just a superior line of figures, whos quality I HOPE we will see again someday soon.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2003, 10:25 AM »
Within Star Wars:

Favorite line in packaging: Vintage! Still has the most interesting packaging to date, they are pre-equipped with great checklists, have a very true-to-Star Wars design, and now they also pack a lot of nostalgia! :) Not to mention all of the fantastic pictures

Favorite line out of packaging: POTJ! Pretty much for the same reasons above. These are some of the best figures in the Star Wars line, a lot of awesome characters represented, a few really cool EU items, and great sculpting!

Outside of Star Wars:
Palisades "Jim Henson's Muppets". These are fantastic toys, with incredible playsets, lots of fantastic details, and all around fun!

Palisades "Urbanimals" line may put Muppets at a run for their money in terms of favorites though, when they are released
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 10:47 AM »
Well my favorite Star Wars line will always be vintage. Followed by POTJ & Saga. As Matt mentioned, I really love them all. I'm just a sucker for anything that comes out.  ;)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2003, 10:53 AM »
Perhaps the upcoming "POTJ2" line later this year (really the Saga line after the split from the Clone Wars line) might climb up the ranks as well, depending on what else Hasbro's got in their bag of tricks for the next couple years 'til Ep. 3 hits...  Hopefully some really cool stuff!

There's a POTJ2 line coming out?????  I don't recall ever hearing of that anyhwere.  Is Hasbro truly going to package their figures with the title "Power of the Jedi" again?  I do like their figures a lot, but too bad they're not easily available.
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Your Favorite Star Wars Figure Line?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 10:54 AM »
I'll tell you the one line that I never particular cared for, even though I love them in packaging are the POTF2 figures.  They're packaged nicely but most of the figures just look like they're on steroids or something.  The ones that make me laugh are Han Solo, Lando and Luke.
dustrho

Jango Fettish

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2003, 01:59 PM »
Well, with the newer figures, we've seen some actual POTJ quality stuff, i.e. Darth Tyranus, Lama Su, Aayla Secura.

Also, favorite non SW toy line would be WoS Simpsons figures, by Playmates. I have all 72 carded figures, and still going strong.  ;D

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2003, 04:18 PM »
Vintage for me. All the memories of my childhood. They are still my main focus.

As a second easily for me is the POTJ line.

I am waiting to see what the upcomming issues with out action features will be like. Some of the new stuff is nice as well
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2003, 02:53 AM »

There's a POTJ2 line coming out?????  I don't recall ever hearing of that anyhwere.  Is Hasbro truly going to package their figures with the title "Power of the Jedi" again?  I do like their figures a lot, but too bad they're not easily available.
Well, not exactly Chris, that's why I put POTJ2 in quotes there.  Symbollically though, we've finally (almost) gotten to the sequel to POTJ, which essentially just means that Hasbro has come out and said (and shown) that they will now be gearing their line towards the adult collecting fanbase again.  They've been aiming at the younger folk over the past year in the Saga line, since it's a movie year and the kids have been into the figures (or so Hasbro says).

But many of us having been begging for "POTJ2" for quite a while - which essentially is just a return to the traits that made the POTJ line so great, which I listed above.  This will basically occur when the Clone Wars line debuts, though that line is NOT what I'm referring to here.  When the CW line comes out, the Saga line will then change gears (per Hasbro) to this POTJ quality that I'm talking about.  But it won't be named POTJ again.  It's still going to be called Saga.

Hope that clarifies things, rather than just confuses things further...   ;)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2003, 09:36 PM »
Vintage, followed by POTJ.  :D

Offline Depmode

• Jedi Initiate
  • Utinni!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2003, 10:46 PM »
I find that the SAGA figures look better than the potj. But then again, i dont have many potj. after i get them all, maybe my view will change. for now, my favorite line is saga, just cause they all look so groovy. I like the vintage stuff too, i'm just not into it like i used to be :)
James
DepmodeETS@aol.com
AIM: DepmodeETS
My lego collection: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Depmode

Offline Depmode

• Jedi Initiate
  • Utinni!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2003, 05:18 PM »
As an update... I have aquired some more POTJ figs. I have determined that I do indeed like the POTJ line also :) lol.
James
DepmodeETS@aol.com
AIM: DepmodeETS
My lego collection: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Depmode

Offline Zuckuss44

• Youngling
  • Let my hands speak for me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2003, 07:08 PM »
Well, I don't know about POTJ. I didn't get a whole lot, and most of the ones I got where the crappy ones because they were pegwarmers.

My favorite figure came from POTJ, though. Good ole Snaggletooth. Can't go anywhere without him.

Best line has to be Vintage, I guess. I mean, there were figures I loved from all the lines, even Episode I. Vintage easily surpasses that and POTF2, because it was the one I started with. And yes, I did grow up with POTF2 as well as Vintage, so it doesn't mean I grew up back with the Vintage.

Now, there were good parts to all the lines. Though POTF2 had its bulky beginnings, it did come out with a few good figures. The original C-3PO was fine, Garindan and the first Ponda Baba were good. Umm......I'm sure there were others......anyway.....Episode 1 had your Senator Palpatine, Valorum, and Gasgano. POTJ had your Snaggletooth, IG-88, Boba Shek, and many many others. Vintage started it all, and had as many figures as they could pull out. Shame they only didn't have Aunt Beru, Uncle Owen, Wedge, and Tarkin. Yeah, there were a few others missed, but can you go wrong with figures like Squid Head, Prune Face, and Big Blue Snaggletooth? Then there's Saga. Yes, we're in the age of the twenty Anakins, but we've got a Coleman Trebor and a Wat Tambor coming out. How obscure can you get? We've gotten Ephant Mon, Lott Dod, and a dozen new Jedi. We've got these 3-Packs coming out that have Oppo Rancisis, Even Piell, San Hill, and Poggle the Lesser in them! And with a third TV show coming out, we're getting the Clone Wars at our fingertips. And yes, even Durge looks good to me. Boy, it's a great time to be a Star Wars collector!

So, I guess the answer to your question is that I have no favorites. I just love the thrill of the hunt. Oh, and Vintage. Definitely Vintage.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2003, 01:46 PM »
I'd also say POTJ, some of the most obscure characters as well as finest mix of sculpt and articulation there has been so far.  I also adore the Vintage line but for different reasons :-*