Author Topic: Star Wars "Role Play" Items  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Star Wars "Role Play" Items
« on: April 19, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Do any of you collect these, or even buy 1 or a few?  Have you bought any in the past?  With seeing a number of the role play items on the shelves for the ROTS merchandise release, I've been somewhat tempted to get a lightsaber or gun, or both, since this is likely the last movie push we'll see.  I haven't ever bought a modern "role play" item, and the only one I have is one of those vintage "the Force" lightsabers that were out when I was a kid (I have the red, Vader one).  I know that these are actually more for the kiddies, and I respect that fully. However, part of me thought it might be cool to get a lightsaber, or perhaps a blaster, and was considering some of the ROTS ones.  I know that Master Replicas makes a much better "replica" product, but these are more affordable, and more fun to play with with our nephews :).  Anyways, do any of you have any of these, or would recommend some fun ones to pick up...or accurate ones?  Has anyone picked up any of the ROTS role play items?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars "Role Play" Items
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 11:44 AM »
I bought the OTC Darth Vader electronic lightsaber.  Lots of fun!  It lights up and hums when "switched on", so I think 2 of these would make a pretty fun battle for kids (or kids at heart  ;)).  Even my 3 year old daughter thought it was cool.

Ultimately, I'm sure the MR ForceFX sabers are a lot more accurate.  But I doubt you can beat the "bang for your buck" fun of an eletronic Hasbro one.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 01:14 PM »
I have a lot of these types of weapons, but like lots of other things, I've been rethinking them.  I have the original Vader saber from the POTF2 release, orange box and all (does anyone else get reminded of POTF2 orange packaging by the ROTS stuff?).  I subsequently picked up the Luke saber and I think those were the only two originally available. 

For TPM, I picked up Maul's double bladed saber, but gave a big pass to Qui-Gonn and Obi's versions.  I picked up the AOTC Yoda saber and wanted to get the Mace saber, but it was impossible to find (judging by the stunning response in my thread on this board ::)) and no one cared about it. 

I'm very tempted to get the color change saber and the Mace saber, especially since Wally is selling them for only $20 ($10 below regular retail and $15 cheaper than TRU) but....

I'm leaning towards switching over to F/X sabers.  They're much nicer pieces and I'm at a point where I can probably afford them.  I only really want three of them, so I'm not sure.  That $20 price tag for the basic sabers is pretty darn cheap. :-\

We have a couple of the cheap sabers that were out for AOTC and are back again.  My daughter and I have had a lot of fun with those and they were worth easily what we paid.  Good solid toys for kids. 

Somewhere I have Han Solo's blaster, I think in orange POTF2 packaging and I have the stormtrooper blaster (white) as well.  Around 2002 I went on a big kick trading to get stuff that was less common like that.  The blasters are fine though.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 04:09 PM »
My modus operandi with the lightsabers was that I wanted one of every color and then I would be done.  So, I got the Episode I Maul and Qui-Gon sabers, the Episode II Anakin saber in the Clone Wars packaging, and that was pretty much it for me.

The more I thought about it though, the more I figured I should get a regular red lightsaber, so I picked up the ROTS Dooku saber a week or so ago at Wal-Mart.  It's actually different than the AOTC version, since this one has this motion activated lightsaber "WOM!" (that's my sad attempt at typing the typical lightsaber "whoosh" noise) that annoys the piss out of me every time I move it a fraction of an inch.  Still, it's a red saber, and the handle is cool, so unless they do a Mace Windu with an accurate handle (since photos make it look like they're still using that pseudo-Maul handle that he had in TPM photography), I'm finished with the role play stuff.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 06:14 PM »
I have the episode 1 Maul and Obi-Wan sabers.  I have a photo of a friend of mine back in Alaska dueling with me! ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.