Author Topic: How are Hasbro's "Other" Lines Doing?  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
How are Hasbro's "Other" Lines Doing?
« on: April 21, 2005, 10:58 AM »
It seems that with the OT push last year, and now the big ROTS push this year, we've been seeing a lot of product lines emerging from Hasbro.  Obviously, the basic figure line is their bread and butter, and most widely known, but they continue to try to break into other arenas as well.  I was curious how some of you think the "other" lines are doing....do you like them...will they survive and continue on?  Here's the ones I can think of off the top of my head, and have seen at retail recently:

Unleashed - I really enjoy this line, despite the space it takes up ;).  It seems to have its own collector base at this point too, and overall does pretty well I think.  It is unreal to see what some of the older pieces go for on ebay right now.  Apparently it is picking up steam.

Jedi Force - The initial waves seemed to do pretty well, but are sitting fairly heavily now.  I personally have a few (Chewie, Droids, Vader), but I don't know if I'll buy any others.  Our nephews (ages 3 and 5) seem to really like them.  Curious to see how they do, and they seem like basically the same thing as.....

Force Battlers - Basically same scale as Jedi Force, but a little bit different style.  They seem to have a pretty good push behind them, because they are warming the pegs nicely at both Wal-Mart and Target in our area.  I have seen lots of the Vaders sell, and he might even be a tougher find in some stores, but the others seem to go untouched.  I personally don't have any, although I have considered buying the Vader one.  $10-ish seems high though.  I will likely get the upcoming Chewbacca if/when I see it though.

Galactic Heroes - With the exception of the 1st Wave of ROTS ones, which are WAAAY overstocked at Wal-Mart and TRU...these rarely sit around here.  I personally have collected all of the new ones (not repacks), and really like this line overall.  Like I said, with the exception of the ROTS ones sitting now...these usually fly off the shelves around here, and seem to do reasonably well.

Attacktix - When I first saw this line, I thought "meh".  It does seem to be gaining a little steam with people though, and I have seen a couple of kids buying these at retail on occasion (usually the AT-RT one).  I personally don't have any, but I see some of you here seem to be enjoying them.  Although not entirely the same, they do seem similar to the....

Star Wars Miniatures - Not technically a Hasbro product, or is it?  Either way, they seem to be competing with the Attacktix, although I don't think the games are at all similar.  I really know very little about either line though, so I can't talk.  I don't have any, other than promo freebies, but they don't interest me much personally.  I know once in awhile when I stop in the local comic shop to pic up a book or two, there are a definite group of people that are buying these up like crazy there, or at least it seems like it.

Titanium Series - I've started to see a TON of these at Wal-Mart as well.  I haven't picked any of these up either, but the packaging looks kind of spiffy.  I don't really know much about this line either, but I'd consider getting a Falcon possibly.

Micro Series - Target Exclusive, thus far, from what I know.  From the pics recently put up on GH, it looks as if there are some spiffy playset/vehicle combos coming up...which remind me of the vintage micro collection stuff.  I never had any of that when I was a kid, but had a friend who did, and thought they were pretty cool.  At least they have mini figures that come with the ships/sets.

There's probably a couple other lines I'm leaving out, so feel free to add any others.  It just seems like Star Wars might be getting spread sort of thin right now, with so many product lines.  Many of them seem to be competing with each other, but maybe that is just my opinion.  I guess at least there is "something for everyone" in a year like this.  Which of these lines do you think will hang on, or is doing well/bad in your area?

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
Re: How are Hasbro's "Other" Lines Doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 07:37 PM »
Alright, here goes...

Unleashed -
Do I have any?: yes, lots
My opinion: Love 'em!
Doing well?: yes
Survival?: long long time

Jedi Force -
Do I have any?: no
My opinion: Blech!
Doing well?: not really
Survival?: a little while, but not long

Force Battlers -
Doing well?: no (except Vader)
Survival?: very limited

Galactic Heroes -
My opinion: look kinda cool
Survival?: They'll stick around a while.

Attacktix -
Do I have any?: yes
My opinion: love 'em
Survival?: a couple more series at least

Star Wars Miniatures -
Do I have any?: yes
My opinion: they're alright
Survival?: several more expansions

Titanium Series -
My opinion: They look pretty sweet.
Survival?: not sure, probably not real long

Micro Series -
Doing well?: no
Survival?: not long at all

8)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 09:16 PM »
starwax, I'm stealing your format.  Lo siento mucho, mi amigo, but I'm too lazy to type it all out myself. :)

Unleashed -
Do I have any?: all but three (RH Vader, Yoda, Jango)
My opinion: Best thing out there right now IMO.
Doing well?: Very well.
Survival?: Until Hasbro decides to do Luke and Leia Unleashed coming out of Padme's womb

Jedi Force -
Do I have any?: Vader
My opinion: Vader is cool, as are the droids, but the humans look awful.
Doing well?: Vader and Yoda are, at least near me.
Survival?: The end of this year.  The fact that they are repainting Luke and Anakin already doesn't bode well.

Force Battlers -
Do I have any?: Vader (see a trend here?)
My opinion: Waste of plastic
Doing well?: Not at all.  Even Vader is starting to hang around.
Survival?: They'll be first to the clearance aisles come January.

Galactic Heroes -
Do I have any?: A few.  The Bounty Hunters and Vader/Ben.
My opinion: They look great and tempt me daily.
Doing well?: Despite the glut of ROTS first wave at WM, they seem to be doing very well.
Survival?: As long as the regular line keeps going, I think the GH stuff will keep going.

Attacktix -
Do I have any?: No.
My opinion: Waste of time, plastic, and money.  YMMV.
Doing well?: Not in my area, unless you consider occupying more shelf space per square inch and not moving any product since the product launch a success.
Survival?: I think the one OT expansion will be it, but might be my crankiness making that prediction.

Star Wars Miniatures -
My opinion: No real opinion.  I've intentionally stayed away.
Doing well?: I wouldn't know, as I don't pay attention.
Survival?: Probably a long time, I would guess.

Titanium Series -
Do I have any?: Slave I (which can sit on its stand in the flying position; this makes my nerdiness go into overdrive)
My opinion: They look great, but I try to not look at them.
Doing well?: Moderately well.  Certain ones sit for a long time, but others (Slave I, ISD) fly off the shelves fairly quickly.
Survival?: I'll give them one wave at mass retail before they go the way of the dodo and/or Force Battlers.  Pity too, as they are nice items.

Micro Series -
My opinion: Waste of time and plastic.
Doing well?: I have yet to see them move.
Survival?: Clearance aisle by the time Target does their fall reset.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 04:13 PM »
Now that the big ROTS "push" is starting to die down a little bit, how do you feel the different lines are faring?  I was starting to think about what lines might be kept around after Star Wars eventually goes back to its "non movie year" position and space in the aisle.  Which lines do you see continuing or disappearing?  Which would you personally like to see stay or go?  I guess the main question would be, what would you like the Star Wars section to look like in 2006?

As far as how they are doing around here...as far as the "other" lines.  Force Battlers seem to be sitting pretty well, although they have disappeared from Target now.  I'd kind of like to get a Vader, but I haven't seen one in over a month.  Grievous is gone too I believe, although I'm not interested.  Obi-Wan and Anakin are all over the place, particularly at Wal-Mart.  Galactic Heroes continue to sell pretty well here, and the second ROTS wave is showing up in greater numbers now.  Jedi Force is hard to gauge in a way.  In both Wal-mart and Targets around here, it is in an area seperate from the rest of the Star Wars aisle.  It seems like the basic figures sell somewhat regularly, but they aren't exactly flying off the shelves either.  I can't judge Attacktix too well, I haven't kept much of an eye on them.  It seems like they are starting to disappear from the display regardless of if they are selling or not.  Anyways, how are things looking around you...and how would you like to see the "Star Wars brand" condensed at retail after the movie hype?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 04:34 PM »
Ok...

Unleashed - stronger than ever, but will be hampered by lingering ROTS Anakin/Obi/Grievous.  Retailers will take it as an indication they don't sell, reducing their intake of the much cooler second wave of "ROTS" Unleashed.  Hasbro will interpret it as a failure saying kids don't really like them.

Jedi Force -  Crap, pure crap.  Some have sold, but I've yet to see a restock.  I can see the appeal to kids but otherwise nope.  Hasbro will insist it's a success until Walmart and Target tell them to shove them.  That will be soon.

Force Battlers - Same as Jedi Force.  A not bad idea, but kids don't care about Star Wars that much anymore and are seemingly more fickle.  Hasbro will claim resounding victory.

Galactic Heroes - Same boat as Unleashed.  A good, succesful, well executed product.  Sadly our retailers overordered the early ROTS stuff and we've not seen the second wave.  Only TRU has previously carried these and once again they completely do not understand the limitations of the market coupled with a price fully 1/3 higher than their competitors.  Net result is these are sitting with even Boba hanging on the pegs.  Hasbro will steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that OT product outperforms PT product.

Attacktix - dead as a doornail.  And for once I think that's a pity.  I don't think these are all that horrible.  I can really see the appeal and they have decent enough sculpts and good playability.  But they shuffle about more than move off the shelves.  Hasbro will claim resounding success.

Star Wars Miniatures - A really, really nice product and one that has enjoyed some success; I think moreso south of the border, but I do see them in lots of places here.  A bit hampered up here by a stupid postal system where it costs about $6 to send one somewhere else in CAnada ::)  But a fantastic product.  Hasbro will.....oh wait, this isn't theirs :P

Titanium Series - uh, what?  Not in Canada nowhere.  Based on what I've seen at Targets they sold well, at least in North Dakota and Minnesota.  But I don't think large numbers moved.  Probably die fairly soon.

Micro Series - Huh?  Oh yeah, the other stuff I saw at Target.  Neat concept but I think MicroMachines are done.  They had their day.  About 6 years ago.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 3, 2005, 12:50 AM »
Hasbro out to be forced to spin off all the good companies they've sucked up and killed!

I want Galoob back (micro machines & Action Fleet & DIE cast)
I want Kenner back (3.75" lines)

Hasbro can keep their sorry Rescue Heros copouts, and 6 inch copies of the 3.75 in line, and that dumb Attactrix game thing.

Really, what did Hasbro make before buying Kenner and Galoob?
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: July 3, 2005, 05:48 AM »
Transformers and GI Joe.

I noticed the first wave of ROTS Galatic Heroes are long gone from here. The second wave is out there, but they're nothing compared to the insane amounts of OT repacks currently warming local pegs.

I'll never see the next Unleashed wave, so meh.

Jedi Force, Force Battlers, Attacktix-- I don't give a flipping **** about these lines, but I have seen the second wave of FB around here.
I still can't figure out why Hasbro wasted plastic on these that could have been better used for Clones, AT-TE Gunners, and Royal Guards of both flavors.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 3, 2005, 04:17 PM »
You are so right!

The Force battlers and Jedi Force sets are nearly the same size too, why have two lines?

My sister picked up the entire Galatic set from Wal-Mart a couple of days ago, for my nephew's chirstmas gifts.  Oh yeah, we didn't find any of the clone trooper two packs, but got all the rest, including the Falcon (the bum reissue one without a stormtrooper...CHEAPO's)

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 3, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Oh and I think Hasbro made He-Man too! =)

Transformers are good, so was GI Joe.  I still have mine in the basement.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 3, 2005, 08:34 PM »
Oh and I think Hasbro made He-Man too! =)

Actually, Mattel was the toy company responsible for the MOTU figures, both good and bad.

Hasbro, at one point, controlled the license for the Batman franchise, which they managed to completely botch as well.  A friend of mine used to (attempt to) collect the Batman figures, and would constantly talk about how a case of figures included 7 Batman repaints and 1 villain, and that villain was only if you were lucky and they decided not to include a Robin repaint instead.  So, Hasbro lost the license for Batman toys to Mattel, and Mattel has proceeded to do practically the exact same thing with their line(s): endless Batman repaints with the occasional rare villain thrown in.

With as much **** as I give Hasbro (I rationalize it by saying turnabout is fair play, ha ha) for their frequent incompetence with the SW license, all I have to do is realize that LFL keeps them on something of a leash in terms of original concepts, and it makes me feel a little bit better.  After all, we haven't gotten Zip Line Luke in a Bat Suit yet (although the Silver Vaders are getting ridiculous).

As a follow-up to the earlier posting I made a while back about the status of Hasbro's other lines, Force Battlers, Jedi Force, Attacktix, Darth Tater, Titanium Series, and the Target Micro Series are all DOA as far as I can tell these days.  My WM has at least 300 of the 04/02 Titanium vehicles, and when a Yoda (Jedi Force) and a Clone (Force Battlers) don't move after sitting on the pegs for two weeks, there might be a problem.

Hasbro's problem is that they are less concerned with a proven formula that works (the 4 inch line) than they are finding new ways to package their past failures.  Unleashed succeeded in spite of itself (and is my favorite line right now) but it was nothing more than a "hip" update to the Epic Force concept.  Hasbro has tried several times, starting with Epic Force, to launch a "mid scale" line, and it always fails.  Force Battlers will be no different. 

If Hasbro were smart, they would stick to the basic action figures as their main line, do the Unleashed as the collector line, the Galactic Heroes as the kid's line, and release a vehicle every so often instead of spending money on development and marketing for new lines that compete with one another and take away resources from stuff that would sell.  But since Hasbro will never admit that something failed, this will never happen.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 5, 2005, 09:48 AM »
If Hasbro were smart, they would stick to the basic action figures as their main line, do the Unleashed as the collector line, the Galactic Heroes as the kid's line, and release a vehicle every so often instead of spending money on development and marketing for new lines that compete with one another and take away resources from stuff that would sell.  But since Hasbro will never admit that something failed, this will never happen.

Although I think we all like seeing more Star Wars on the shelves, I really like this idea as well.  Stick with the basic figure line (including vehicles, beasts, playsets, etc.) as the "main" line, and then continue Unleashed as the "collector" line and Galactic Heroes as the "kid" line.  That would be a nice mix that could satisfy all the various markets.  All three of these lines seem to be popular, at least around here, and would probably sell the best overall.  Nice idea.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 5, 2005, 09:06 PM »
LOL I completely forgot about Mattel!  Hasbro isn't the only game in town.

I liked MotU lol

yeah you are right about not wacked out Luke's.  The First deluxe figures were pushing it though.

Yep all those lines are so stinky.  That one that's like Rescue Hero, but Star Wars I just don't get.  ah well