Author Topic: Evolution: Silver now Holo  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Evolution: Silver now Holo
« on: April 21, 2005, 12:29 PM »
So I assume that this is now going to become the normal for the next few years?  First the Silver figs now the Holo?  The idea is okay with me, but I would rather see them concentrate on Holo characters as they appeared in the movies first.  Seeing the Leia with her pistol just doesnt look right for movie accuracy. 

If Hasbro wanted to do something really exclusive, I would of loved to have seen one new VOTC style figure put out each year instead of these.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Evolution: Silver now Holo
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 12:34 PM »
Jeff actually presented that idea as an exclusive (more VOTC figures) to the guys at Target last fall.  I think Hasbro and retailers know how well those things did, perhaps we will see them in future.  One can hope at least.

Here's a list of possible Holo Figures I made last week:

Nute Gunray (Mini) Episode I Talking to OOM-9
Rune Haako (Mini) Episode I Talking to OOM-9
Darth Maul Episode I Talking to Nute and Rune
Darth Sidious Episode I Talking to Nute and Rune
Sio Bibble Episode I You must contact me!
Dar Wac Episode II Chancellor Palpatines office
Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode II Holo TransmissionMace Windu Episode II Holo Transmission
Holo Leia Episode IV R2 Transmission
Dejarik Pieces Episode IV Millenium Falcon
Darth Vader (Mini) Episode V AT-AT
Spirit of Obi-Wan Episode V and VI
Imperial Commanders Episode V Star Destroyer Chase
Emperor Episode V Giant Head
Luke Skywalker (Giant) Episode VI Jabba Palace
Spirit of Anakin Episode VI Endor Celebration
Spirit of Yoda Episode VI Endor Celebration

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 01:26 PM »
Good list Scott.  The Vader and the Dejarik pieces have all been at the top of my most wanted list for years now.  Plus havent a couple on the list already made the proto stage?

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 02:44 PM »
Anyone else notice that the Holo Leia shown at C3 is sporting the OTC cardback?  Will these be returning?  That would be sweet.

Too bad the fig does not match the cardback. I dont mind Leia having the gun but it would of looked better with the commtech hooded version.  This Freeze Frame version is being rehashed now on the same frequency as the cantina Han.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 02:57 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 12:30 AM »

We finally get Leia with her gun from the Tantive IV instead of a Stormtrooper blaster. Yay!

But it's a holo version. Boo Hasbro! Boo!

I was one of the people pissed that the VOTC wasn't a little more V in the weapon department.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 10:33 AM »
Ok - this is going to sound stupid but, where did this figure come from?

Who's going to have it as an exclusive, how much, when is it available?

The thing that is starting to freak me out re: the stuff shown at CIII is that labels on stuff that I didn't even think were out yet are indicating "AVAIL: NOW" - which to me means Available Now! Stuff like:

Target Exclusive SA Clone
TRU Exclusive Jedi Starfighter w/Anakin
Unleashed Wave 2

etc...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 07:52 PM »
I don't mind holo figures because you can use them in dioramas or displays, unlike the silver ones which are pretty looking but basically a gimmick.

I'd love many of the ones Scott listed (Holo Sid being at the top of my list), but Hasbro needs to be careful about accuracy--for example, putting the hood on Leia. And when they start cranking out holo versions of characters that never appeared in this form (i.e. Holo Wicket), then it becomes just another gimmick.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Ok - this is going to sound stupid but, where did this figure come from?

Who's going to have it as an exclusive, how much, when is it available?

See HERE.

It is this summer's convention exclusive figure and will be on StarWarsShop.com in the fall...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 04:09 PM »
I've said it once and I'll say it again, this one doesn't make much sense to me.

Leia was never a large scale holograph and now they show the figure and it's not accurate at all.

No hood, a blaster - egads!

If you can't get it somewhat right, try different subject matter.

They don't even have the right tooling to do this figure - nevermind the scale difference.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 04:11 PM »
On a side note, whats everyones take on the package?  Will the OTC cardback make a return this Fall or in 2007?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 04:20 PM »
We already have a movie accurate Holo Leia....it came with an R2-D2 (complete with CommTech chip!)

Nice List Scott, I think the Dejarik pieces would be really tough though.  I know there was one (or two?) on the Dejarik Board that came with the Chewbacca, but I don't see Hasblo making anymore.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 05:08 PM »
On a side note, whats everyones take on the package?  Will the OTC cardback make a return this Fall or in 2007?

The other side of the card was blank/white, so no one knows for sure yet...

I think the OTC cards will re-surface again for this exclusive at least, just like the Holo-Emperor had.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 05:15 PM »
I think I like HOlo better...  Though the quality is sketchy at best, as with the Emperor.  Part of me would like to take a GG bust and cast it in translucent materials to make my own giant Holo Emperor head. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Jeff - I had figured that out a day or so later....

I'm mixed on these Holo figures...

To me, I would have thought they would have started giving us Holo versions of Jedi that sit in the council as holograms. That is the nicest thing about the Yoda - he DOES appear as a full-size hologram sitting in his regular chair during a Jedi Council meeting in the movie.

So does Ki-Adi Mundi and I believe, Plo Koon.

To me, regular-size holos of these figures made so you can make a Jedi Council scene with masters in attendence via Holo MAKES SENSE.

A regular size holo of Jedi Luke for your Jabba's palace sorta makes sense because R2 projected Luke a tad bit bigger than human size, but since you don't really want a 7" holo Luke, a 4" one is just as fine. So again, makes sense, I'm all for it.

Darth Maul in his cloak with the hood up and arms crossed appeared as a lifesize holo to Nute Gunray - so again, this figure makes sense.

A regular figure size holo of Leia or Qui-Gon Jinn or whoever appeared as a small hologram display DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

They already got the holo of Leia from ANH right - with the R2-D2 figure! They already got the holo of Obi-Wan from AOTC right - the display base that came with the Saga version of Bail Organa!

To me, a holo Leia like this just is un-necessary. Personally, I would have preferred a Holo Ki-Adi Mundi to add to my ROTS Jedi Council Scene. Just make the figure out of the Saga mold and make sure he can sit - should have been easy AND it's a ROTS based exclusive. The card for this Leia has me confused - I guess they really do intend on changing the packaging once the line starts including OT characters again... oh well, just when I started to really like the ROTS cardback...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 06:24 PM »
Jeff actually presented that idea as an exclusive (more VOTC figures) to the guys at Target last fall.  I think Hasbro and retailers know how well those things did, perhaps we will see them in future.  One can hope at least.

Here's a list of possible Holo Figures I made last week:

Darth Maul Episode I Talking to Nute and Rune

This one actually got made, Scott.  It's the WalMart exclusive holographic Darth Maul that was offered along with the holo Qui-Gon Jinn.  It may not have been part of the basic figure line, but it is Darth Maul exactly as he appeared as a hologram in TPM.

Holo versions of Ki-Adi Mundi and Plo Koon would be welcome in my book.  Especially versions that can sit in the Jedi Council chairs.  As things stand now, the holo Yoda that was offered cannot sit in his Council seat, so I'd like to see that, too.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 06:26 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback