Author Topic: Tonnika Sisters coming?  (Read 42157 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Tonnika Sisters coming?
« on: April 25, 2005, 09:18 AM »
http://www.galactichunter.com/

Scroll down and Gh.com seems to believe that the Tonnika Sisters might be coming at some point.  Interesting considering that Hasbro Q & A said no developements on that front. 

By the way.  Not sure where this would actuall go?  OTC or ROTS? 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Tonnika Sisters coming?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Man, don't I hope these are coming.  There's not nearly enough female figures made anyway, but to get the Cantina Hookers would be freaking awesome.  Not to mention a customizer's dream.

:P

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 11:59 AM »
Hasbro also hinted to me a confirmation of this when I spoke with their team leader on Saturday. Though, during the Q & A they avoided the question entirely.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 12:42 PM »
Hasbro also hinted to me a confirmation of this when I spoke with their team leader on Saturday. Though, during the Q & A they avoided the question entirely.

Yeah, during the QnA, they just went with "No Comment".

Buuuut, in private at the booth they sure did a LOT of hinting that the Tonnkia Twins may have something to do with the upcoming Distillery and U-Shaped bar pieces...  ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 12:46 PM »
Sandtroopers.com claims to have an actual letter from Chrisine Hewitt, the lady that played on of the sisters and who was at C3, saying she got word from Hasbro that her figure will be made.  I guess that is what they are saying?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 01:37 PM »
This is very good news.  They were super popular on many wishlists back around 2000 but continued denials from Hasbro about them ever having a chance of coming sort of dropped them down the wishlists.  The distillary and the U section sound like a done deal as well which means perhaps we'll be seeing these at a K-Mart near you next year (I hope!)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 01:41 PM »
Buuuut, in private at the booth they sure did a LOT of hinting that the Tonnkia Twins may have something to do with the upcoming Distillery and U-Shaped bar pieces...  ;)

Yeah, I stopped by and talked privately with Christine Hewitt on Sunday.  Here's exactly what she had to say on the matter:

She was NEVER opposed to Hasbro using her likeness for a figure.  Not back in the 70's, and not now.  It was the other Tonnika sister who made a big stink about it for some reason.  She thinks Hasbro or Lucas licensing must have been confused and just lumped the two of them together.

But Christine said she's been in a few discussions with the Hasbro reps recently, and they're well aware that they've got the green light on her figure.  She then added that she thinks all the collectors out there will be very happy pretty soon, as her figure is indeed coming...  8)

For whatever reason, Hasbro still treated the topic as if it was national security in their Q & A on Friday.  Even after I pointed out that Christine is heavily involved in the SW circuit now with the autographs and such, and that there's likely no way that she's opposed to having a figure made of her at this point.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 01:43 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 01:46 PM »
Sandtroopers.com claims to have an actual letter from Chrisine Hewitt, the lady that played on of the sisters and who was at C3, saying she got word from Hasbro that her figure will be made.  I guess that is what they are saying?

Phhttthht...

This is the very same Sandtroopers.com that did an entire interview with this lady several months ago, and didn't even ask her about the whole Hasbro figure licensing rights issue.  I thought they were a "collecting" site.  Duh.  ::)

Letter or not, she said it's coming, and a Hasbro rep later on at their booth hinted very much the same.  It's coming, and not 'cause Sandtroopers says so...  :P

By the way.  Not sure where this would actuall go?  OTC or ROTS? 

Let's go with OTC...  ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 01:49 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 01:47 PM »
Sweet! They really are the two characters that are noticably missing from the Cantina scene. I mean, I can live without a Swilla Cory figure, but the Tonnika Sisters are a must-have.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Yeah, for whatever reason I am all about getting cantina creatures or whomever made.  This makes me quite happy regardless of what the hell the ordeal is. 

I wonder if Hasbro just wanted to tell that lady in person before everyone else?  Eh, I don't know.  It's nice to here the rest of the freaking bar will be coming.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 02:25 PM »
I asked the actress that was signing autographs what the deal was with the rights and all that stuff.

She said that it was never true for her, but that the OTHER actress was witholding rights to the likeness.  She also said that she'd gone to the Hasbro guys the day before to let them know that they had permission to make the figure in her likeness.  She implied that they all but told her that they were going to go ahead and try to make ONE figure - then everyone could buy two.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 02:27 PM »
Here's a "Scott's Cantina Wishlist Update Post" In case you were wondering:

From my ANH Wishlist...I think the following 6 are must makes for the Cantina

Hem Dazon
Bom Vimdin
Dannik Jerriko
Feltipern Trevagg
Myo
Braniac

And seen just outside the Cantina...we still need

CZ Droid
Wioslea

If they make these I'll be happy...I've given up on the Tonnika Sisters, its not going to happen.  Second tier guys for me include

Garouf Lafoe
Hrchek Kal Fas (I have some pretty nice customs of the Kel Fas's)
Yerka Mig or Merc Sunlet
Cantina Dude
[/size]
In reality, if they do a Hem, Bom, Braniac and the Tonnika Sisters and finally get a Wioslea, Cz-3 and Tatooine Poncho Luke, I think I could be done with Tatooine from ANH.  I'd dig a new Anchorhead Biggs and new versions of Owen and Beru but we're already in gravy town and the big 6 above would be all that this guy needs

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 03:20 PM »
I asked the actress that was signing autographs what the deal was with the rights and all that stuff.

She said that it was never true for her, but that the OTHER actress was witholding rights to the likeness.  She also said that she'd gone to the Hasbro guys the day before to let them know that they had permission to make the figure in her likeness.  She implied that they all but told her that they were going to go ahead and try to make ONE figure - then everyone could buy two.

Is there an echo in here, Rob?!   :P

As for the bar, yeah, the Hasbro rep I chatted with at their booth confirmed that the U-shaped portion will be coming (as part of an overall 3-piece Cantina set), and that the distillery would definitely be included too, which was great to hear.  He said the sets were essentially ready to go, and that they were just waiting for a retailer to pick them up as an exclusive.  They wouldn't elaborate on any of the figure choices for inclusion though, and made it sound like that part of the set may still be up in the air right now.  I obviously pointed out that the Tonnika sister would be an obvious choice, since that where she was standing in the movie.  Though I'd prefer it if she was single carded instead.

One staff member from another site said that his friend had already seen these items back in Asia, so it sounds like they're very much already finished, and just sitting around waiting...

That would also seem to mesh timing-wise with what the Hasbro guys told me last year at Comic Con, which was that the rest of the bar was definitely on the way at some point soon...  So just a question of being patient and waiting it out.

I also pushed the obvious Hem Dazon/Arcona idea on them, and they said that it was indeed an obvious choice, and would unquestionably be coming sooner or later.  So no worries on that figure either, other than your patience level.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 03:24 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 04:07 PM »
Hey this would be perfect timing to throw in another Cantina Han.  Actually I heard the same rumor as Matt about finished product.  But I guarantee in order for us to buy this that Hasbro will throw in a couple of rehashes. Would be nice to see the other Duros and a Sauren thrown in.  They could be easily rehashed from previous figs.  But like most of you, Hem Dazon is the one fig i've wanted the most for almost ten freakin years now. Its strange because he is the first alien shown and for that he is stuck in most peoples minds when they think of that scene.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 04:09 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 04:13 PM »
Is there an echo in here, Rob?!   :P

Whoops - didn't read through the whole thread...