Author Topic: Tonnika Sisters coming?  (Read 42172 times)

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Tonnika Sisters coming?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2006, 01:19 AM »
Whoa..one sec i thought this was an official release! GREAT JOB on the custom and packing

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2006, 04:24 PM »
It seems that Hasbro still can't figure out the Tonnika mess.   :(

From a Weekly Hasbro QnA from SSG this week:

Q: Does Lucasfilm have the rights to the likeness for the Tonnika Sisters (ANH cantina patrons), and if so is there plans to create figures?

A: Thanks for the question, but that's not something we can comment on right now.

::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2006, 08:52 PM »
Yeah what a great answer Hasbro.   :P

:)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2006, 09:03 PM »
You would think that answering some of these questions would be a breach of national security for Hasbro :P

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2006, 09:36 PM »
I almost want to grab the guy by the neck and remind him that he makes TOYSSSSSSSSSSSS with an exclusive Lucasfilm license so nobody is going to come out with the Tonnika sisters and undercut them.  Oh well.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2006, 09:47 PM »
What a great answer! I'm so glad Hasbro never reveals any info so we'll be anticipating new news! Remember how bored we all were when all the ROTS figures were announced?

::)

But I guess "No Comment" is better than "There are no plans for this figure in the future."
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2006, 12:00 AM »
Eh, I don't think they will ever make those 2.  If they do great.  However, my enthusiasm for them has been diminished lately.  It's kind of like waiting to see if Lucas and Company will ever actually film that Indy 4 movie.  Believe it when I see it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2006, 09:54 PM »
I always try to hope "we can't comment right now" means they're working on it yet somehow I don't think that's gonna be the case on this. :)  The mystery continues...

Still it'd be nice if they'd at least say, "yeah we had likeness issues on these", even if they don't commit to saying they got that ironed out and are going to go forward with making the figures.

Oh and I still am not ga-ga over getting these two ever anyway.  Much more excited to hear about Elis Helrot or other freakish aliens...  The sisters just never were real high on my list.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2006, 10:12 AM »
I really wonder if there is any issue at all with them. They ar enot high up on my list either, but i would love to hear the true story behind this all.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2006, 11:13 AM »
Is it me or what? How can those 2 minor characters who the regular Joe cannot see anyway, have there own carved out rights to hold out on action fgures of themselves?
Why would the almighty bearded flanneled grandmaster himself grant these broads exclusive passes? They can make whoever they want. I think it was a matter of how exciting are they or not. I think they are cool and would love to add them to my collection. They are better than many of the terds who graced past blister cards.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2006, 12:47 PM »
I think that the likeness rights issue has been bunk all along.  I think that Hasbro and Lucas Licensing alike aren't thrilled with the prospect of making these characters.  And I think it all goes back to what they were referred to in the working script for the movie:  Star Whores. 

I think that both Hasbro and Lucas Licensing both want to avoid the kind of PR mess this could turn into by not making the figures.  Think about it.  A beloved film franchise and a toy company agreeing to make figures of characters that are known for being prostitutes?  They would have to be out of their minds!  This is the kind of thing that could get exploited by some whacko who has nothing to do with the toy industry, and as a result there's some kind of boycott and parents won't buy their kids Star Wars toys.

But what about the EU explanations about the Tonnikas?  That's all revisionist history, trying to clean up the original mess.  I'm sure that all came about because Decipher wanted to make CCG cards with the Tonnikas and wasn't thrilled with the prospect of "pros" being on their cards, either.  I think a realistic look at the situation will make things clear to everyone.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Who knows?    But yeah they probably are reluctant since they are female figures.  Hell they won't even put many Padmes out there.  I just want these 2 to round out the Cantina.  With Hellrot and that other thing coming out all I'd really like to see done now are the Tonnika Sisters and Bom Vimdin.  I'll pretty much be done with the Cantina then.  I just hope they somehow dump the U shape bar pieces in with some character. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2006, 09:18 PM »
Is it me or what? How can those 2 minor characters who the regular Joe cannot see anyway, have there own carved out rights to hold out on action fgures of themselves?

Well said.  I think this whole "rights" thing is Hasbro's lie for not making them.

:)

Offline Word_Weaver

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama! (Woah, that's what I was gonna put!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2006, 11:44 PM »
Based on their occupation, I wonder what Hasbro would put on the cardback if they did make them.  ;)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2006, 11:48 PM »
Personally, I don't see a need for them to describe these characters any more than what we know, which is that they took interest in Wuher's droid comment, and the saber confrontation.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke