Author Topic: Food Promos  (Read 8076 times)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Food Promos
« on: March 22, 2003, 07:52 PM »
Continuing my "Other Collectibles" trend:

Do you collect any Star Wars Food Promos? If so, what? Got any favorites?

I've collected different items since around special edition, and have collecting things such as cards and stickers, to pens, wrappers, boxes and other food related stuff. I went all out with AOTC, and got all of the General Mills and Frito Lay promo items (did anyone else order the promo cd from Frito Lay? Mine never arrived), as well as all of the packaging such as wrappers (including the 17 GoGurt wraps) and cereal boxes. One of my favorite items is the mega sized Clonetrooper Starpic, which was given to me by a Frito Lay distributor. He also gave me some life size standups, as well as a huge POP overhead display! :) I also have sets of TPM Pepsi cans from about 6 countries now, and would love to build a set from every country. Also trying to find the rest of the Gold Yoda cans I need (Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mt Dew and the ultra rare Storm).

The best part about food promos? They're free (generally anyway)!
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
Re: Food Promos
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 01:08 AM »
As I've said on other areas of this board, I collect anything Star Wars.  I have all the US Pepsi cans from Ep1, including the Storm ones, excluding the Gold Yoda.  I have a bunch of Doritos and other chip bags from the U.S., England, and Spain.  (I don't recall a CD offer, though).  I have some chocolate and biscuit wrappers from Spain and England.  One of the plastic chip buckets from Target, the 3 metal "popcorn" Frito-Lay tins from Sam's Club (one sans lid, that one came from a K-B Toy outlet).  The small collector tin from Pepsi and TRU.  Bunches of Pez dispensers; almost all the Kids Meal giveaways, bags, cups and so forth from Tri-Con Global.  And going back a ways, all the original glasses from the Burger King days.  Lots of the new cereal boxes and a few of the vintage ones.  Some of the fruit roll-ups (yep, I saved the peel-off strips with the messages on it), Go-gurt boxes and I rinsed out the tubes.  Pizza boxes from Pizza the Hutt (the manager at our local store must have thought I was crazy - my mom had bought a carton of blank pizza boxes once when they sold framed pictures, because people wanted boxes to wrap them for gifts.  Well, I took in one of these empty boxes and said, "Put my pizza in this, I want the box clean."  They wouldn't use my box ever, but they did give me a "plain" box with the pizza in it and gave me the clean Star Wars box, so I have most of those grease-free.  

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Auriette

When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Jango Fettish

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 01:21 AM »
Included in this pic are the following:

Jango Fett Movie Cash
Japan Pepsi Jango Fett Can
All 3 Japanese Jango Pepsi Caps
All 4 Jango Fett Star pics
Canadian Rubix Cube Jango/Clone Trooper
Ruffles + Doritos Jango chip bags
Cap Candy Lollipop Bust from US + UK
US Bagged Jango Pez
US Carded Jango Pez
Japanese Wrapped Pez
Japanese Xylish Gum Dispenser
French "Hollywood" Mini Gum Box w/ Jango Fett

Now, I know these aren't exactly premiums, butthey are food related. I also have 9 cereal boxes from all over the world featuring Jango.

I also have the Jumbo Yellow Clone Trooper Star Pic from Frito Lay, Jango Fett Frito Lay Stand Up x 2, German Jango Fett Pencil Topper, and a Hungary Jango/Mace 3D Lenticular Card.  ;D  :P
« Last Edit: March 24, 2003, 01:25 AM by Jango Fettish »

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 01:33 AM »
Hey, Jango, You have a nice collection there.  The item I'm most curious about is on the corner of one of the Ruffles poster - is that a glass mug?  Is that a foreign item?

Auriette

When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Jango Fettish

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 01:36 AM »
Thank you, Auriette.  ;D

The glass stein is actually an officially licensed, US item, by the same people who made the ceramic figural mug, and the the black coffee mug in front of it.

Companys name would be NECA. They are also the same ones that issued the Clone Trooper ceramic figural mug, the latest R2 ceramic bank, and the Jedi Starfighter vs Slave 1 large sized snowglobe, which is in my closet due to being out of season.  :P
« Last Edit: March 24, 2003, 01:38 AM by Jango Fettish »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2003, 02:16 AM »
I dabble a bit in the food promo stuff I guess.  I don't really go too much out of my way to hunt it down, but I'll grab SW related food stuff whenever I see it.  Let's see, I've got:

• Most all of the fast food premiums from the SE's and TPM (Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut)
  • Various chip bags, cereal boxes, candy, and other random food wrappers/boxes/containers
  • The complete Pepsi can run for TPM (sans Gold Yoda)
Then if you want to go all the way back to the Vintage era, I've got to include one of my all-time favorite collecting subsets:  The Burger King glasses! - complete set of all 12.  Had them all as a kid, but they were one of the few SW items of mine that actually found their way into our garage sales unfortunately.

But about 4 years ago, I started scoping out the eBay auctions for some new ones to replace them, and totally lucked out by winning a complete set of 12 perfectly mint ones for just $45 from someone who lived just 20 minutes away from me here in L.A.  Met up in person, so I didn't even have to sweat the risk of them being shipped.  Just love these things!  A great collectible that I'd recommend others look into who were around way back then (and for those who weren't as well)!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2003, 02:41 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 02:05 PM »
Thanks for the info on the mugs, Cory.  I've done a quick search and found some things to order already, but ugh, I have to leave for work soon, so I don't have time for all the research.

I wish one of the Tricon restaurants would have done glass glasses for the new trilogy.  I know they were trying to avoid glass for the safety reasons, but BK did glass mugs for Lord of the Rings and McDonalds had glass mugs for one of the Batman films, and I think maybe the Flintstones, too.  So, there's no excuse!

Auriette

Offline RJP

• Youngling
  • Hi! I'm Tammy from CA
    • View Profile
    • RJP'S PAGE
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 10:19 PM »
I have 3 of the glass mugs. Got them at Suncoast Video in Southern CA for $2.00 on Clearance! One features the Jedi, One the droids and Padme and the other the villians. They are cool. I use them though. After loosing my glasses in the 94 earthquake I don't collect much breakables anymore ;D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 01:34 PM »
I have the Canadian exclusive Clone Trooper Helmet with cereal. I also have one loose that I ordered.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 01:45 PM »
Did those 6 double faced Rubik's cube Canadian "thingees" come out of cereal boxes?  I can't recall, but I think they may have.  Brent (Morgbug) hooked me up with a complete set of those.  Interesting little gadgets...

I also just remembered that I picked up a set of those 3 small die-cast racing cars (with OT, TPM, and AOTC designs on them) from that U.S. cereal promotion running at around the date of release for AOTC.  I never once saw the promotion running on any cereal boxes in SoCal, but a nice guy up in the Bay Area shot me one of the order forms for them, so I snagged a set.  They were only a couple bucks total - not a bad deal for 3 little SW Hot Wheel type of cars!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 01:57 PM »
Ah yes, the Rubik's cube Canadian "thingees".   ;D
Yep, right out of the box. You had no idea what cereal box contained a cube. You just had to buy them & hope for the best you did not double up on any. Then if you did, traders.
I'll tell you, thats alot of cereal for the next while.   ;D

Here's a complete list of different cereal premiums from around the world. Neat stuff.

The Comprehensive Star Wars Cereal Premium Checklist

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 02:01 PM »
Ah yes, the Rubik's cube Canadian "thingees".   ;D
Yep, right out of the box. You had no idea what cereal box contained a cube. You just had to buy them & hope for the best you did not double up on any. Then if you did, traders.
I'll tell you, thats alot of cereal for the next while.   ;D

Well then, I must thank that silly Celtics fan Brent for eating one helluva lot of cereal for me!   :D   Thanks B!

Jango Fettish

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2003, 12:54 PM »
hey Adam,

Do you happen to have this? I picked it up this morning on eBay for $40, BIN. It was an impulse buy, with my girlfriends full support.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2003, 01:14 PM »
Hey, that's a sweet set Cory!  Where'd it come from?  I've never seen one...  I've got 2 or 3 of those lightsabers, but looking at your set there makes me want to complete my lightsaber collection.  Nice score.  Very cool...

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2003, 06:35 PM »
Ah yes, the General Mills AOTC Press Kit. I had wanted to get one, but never got around to it. Still want one, but just dont have the scratch for it right now with everything else Im trying to get
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."