Author Topic: Post your ROTS reviews and thoughts!  (Read 32973 times)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Post your ROTS reviews and thoughts!
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2005, 12:54 PM »
I really enjoyed it. Its probably the best of the PT. Although I have alot of questions and statements.

They never brought up Sifo-Dyas.

Why was Padme still pregnant looking in her casket?

Why didnt we get to see more of the Jedi Purge? Its mentioned alot throughout Star Wars.

Like Diddly said about Zett Jukassa. Why was he so good in the Jedi arts when Aayla Secura just got taken out. Surprise my ass, Jedi can sense things.

The 2 Duels should of been seperate. Going back and forth for an intricate part of the whole story made them seem short and not at all really important.

Why give the Battle Droids emotions?

Why not give the Jedi Masters who approach Palpatine a little more screen time before they die? They've been fighting in the Clone Wars, they should be able to take a few lightsaber swings at them.

Where were Shaak Ti, Barriss Offee?

They should of at least shown Qui Gon Jinn. Even Liam Niesson said he was in ROTS.

No Dagobah? Why did Luke say that it looked familiar?

How does Leia remember her "real mother" when Padme died after child birth?

I know most of these are nit picky but some are warranted.

I remember my dream now.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2005, 01:43 PM »
They never brought up Sifo-Dyas.

This bothered me, too... in AOTC the whole Sifo-Dyas thing was made out to be such a huge mystery that the council would be looking into, and none of it has been touched since... unless I've missed some EU stuff.

Why didnt we get to see more of the Jedi Purge? Its mentioned alot throughout Star Wars.

I couldn't stand seeing many more Jedi being killed, honestly... but I would liked to have seen the Jedi at least put up some sort of fight. That I can remember, everyone basically went out like a weak little bitch, except for Ki Adi Mundi.

Like Diddly said about Zett Jukassa. Why was he so good in the Jedi arts when Aayla Secura just got taken out. Surprise my ass, Jedi can sense things.

I thought that Zett's scenes were decent, if you look carefully he does more running than anything else... in fact he doesn't fall until he tries to deflect shots and get fancy. The thing that irritates me is Lucas gave his kids more screen time than the god damn Jedi...

There was a particular expression on Aayla's face that I took as her realization that she had been betrayed, but maybe I'm making excuses... Do take into account that all of these Jedi were on the battlefield already, so they may have been so preoccupied facing the frontlines that they weren't attuned to what was behind them.

Why give the Battle Droids emotions?

I cannot come up with a bull**** excuse for this, no matter how hard I've tried.

Where were Shaak Ti, Barriss Offee?

Deleted scenes, I suppose? Hopefully we'll get all of those cut scenes in the DVD...

Perhaps she was speaking of Bail's wife, who could have passed away while she was still young...

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2005, 01:50 PM »

I couldn't stand seeing many more Jedi being killed, honestly... but I would liked to have seen the Jedi at least put up some sort of fight. That I can remember, everyone basically went out like a weak little bitch, except for Ki Adi Mundi.

Perhaps she was speaking of Bail's wife, who could have passed away while she was still young...

I didnt like seeing the Jedi Purge that much either, but I wanted them like you said to put up a fight. Ki Adi Mundi looked to be the only one watching his back.

As for Bail's wife, that could be a answer but Luke says. "Leia do you remember your mother your REAL mother?"
I remember my dream now.

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2005, 01:51 PM »

I thought it was an effort to hide the children, so that the emperor would receive conflicting reports about whether she gave birth or not.  So according to witnesses, and probably officially, she died before giving birth.

Yeah, that's some memory she has. 

A hole, small one though,  in the story as far as I'm concerned.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2005, 01:53 PM »

I thought it was an effort to hide the children, so that the emperor would receive conflicting reports about whether she gave birth or not.  So according to witnesses, and probably officially, she died before giving birth.

Ah! Okay I get it now. That would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 01:53 PM by MetalJedi »
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2005, 01:59 PM »
Ki Adi's death was the one that affected me most...Then Aayla. The way Ki's was shot (esp. with that planet's environment) was so heartbreaking for some reason. And then how they just kept shooting and shooting Aayla got to me.

Interestingly enough, the small boy talking to Anakin didn't really have an effect on me. It seemed fake---Acting wise.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2005, 02:03 PM »
Shaak Ti was in the Council Scenes, you can see her in the Holo representation on Kashyyk...Barriss I don't think was ever confirmed as being in the movie...

Saw it again last night and I loved it just as much as the first time I saw it... :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 02:06 PM by Scott »

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
I saw it at 12:01 am on Thursday morning....
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2005, 02:33 PM »
And, of course, I've been thinking about it a lot ever since (even drove right past my husband's work when I went to pick him up.... and he thought I was *joking* when I said I was thinkin' about SW!)

First, I agree with those who say that the acting and the dialogue are much improved in this film. It was one of my first comments when it was all over with, and it’s what I’ve told all the mundanes or muggles or whatever you want to call them who’ve asked me about the movie (heck, two people at my work, who are acting all excited about “Sith” said they never even saw Ep2 because they didn’t like Ep1).  I have also defended the acting and dialogue in Episodes 4-6; it’s just amazing to me that people are suddenly criticizing the original trilogy.  I didn’t have a problem with anything (well, a couple of scenes in “Jedi”, but hardly enough to say that all the SW films lack quality acting and writing).

I liked the opening sequence visually, but a lot of the time, Anakin & Obi-Wan's ships seemed to be flying a routine; I didn't feel like they were actually dodging other ships and blaster bolts "on the fly."  (no pun intended)   And speaking of puns, I had to hold back a laugh after Anakin cut off Dooku’s hands and killed him, then said he shouldn’t have killed an unarmed prisoner.

I was near tears throughout the movie, every time someone said or did something that we, the audience *knew* would push Anakin closer to the Dark Side.  I wanted to should "Noooo" when Mace told Ani, basically, that he still wasn't sure he could trust him.

I wanted to see more of Padmé as a senator, and in reviewing the script on SuperShadow.com, I see that several scenes that involved her, Bail, and Mon Mothma were cut, perhaps because of complaints that Episodes 1 & 2 were “too political.”  Other
Deleted scenes would have set up Anakin’s jealousy over Obi-Wan, which as it is, seemed to come out of nowhere.

I noticed the Falcon (or another similar stock light freighter) in the lower right part of the screen as Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Palpatine were returning to the Senate after the rescue from Grievous.  In a way, though, seeing it kind of pulled me out of the movie for a moment.

Tim's been saying from the beginning that Palpy was going to turn out to be Anakin's "father" and apparently Palpy did create him. I almost wish he'd come right out and said it, though -- or that Anakin put two-and-two together (but does Ani know that he was an immaculate conception?).

I was surprised when Ani told Padmé he could defeat Palpy and they could rule the Empire together.  Later, when I thought about it, it makes perfect sense -- Ani's been a slave his whole life, always having to call someone else Master -- and he just wants to run his own life for a change.

Another thing that isn’t clear in the film, I don’t think, is that Grievous is the Vader prototype.  We only get a few close-up shots of the General’s eyes, showing they’re not droid eyes.  I don’t get the cough, either; I don’t have access to television right now, so I missed Clone Wars 2 (I’ll get the DVD).  I had thought maybe it was George’s attempt to show it’s a living being, not a droid.  And maybe he likes a death stick after a good fight.

Bob Crane: I, too, hated to see Obi-Wan leave Anakin there to die in pain.  If only Anakin had landed somewhere that Obi-Wan couldn’t get to, perhaps across a river of lava.  Or if Obi-Wan had thought Anakin was dead and didn’t see him trying to pull himself up the lavabank. It just seems so cruel to leave him suffering.

Cine and I agree -- the "birth" of Vader was too rushed.  Here's what I would've preferred -- the physical transformation takes at least a few months.  During that time, he can sense that Padmé is alive.  Padmé and Leia are in hiding with Bail; Obi-Wan has already taken Luke to Tatooine.  During the time, as Vader gains strength, Padmé weakens and she dies of a broken heart.  Leia has some time to "remember" her mother (though I don't have any memories from my first three or four *years*, we'll say it's The Force), so the line in ROTJ makes sense.  And just as Vader's about to get mobility again -- he senses Padmé's death and does the freak out thing (which Tim said immediately should have been longer).

It disappoints me that Padmé lost the will to live when she had just given birth to two children; she should have wanted to live to take care of them.  If she's going to die right away, it should have been from the injuries from Vader.  It would have been the ultimate irony that in doing anything to save her, he ended up being the cause of her death.  And how would killing Padmé have made him any more of a bad person than slaughtering the younglings?

Tim's major criticism goes back to the whole "midi-chlorian" explanation of the Force.  In the second trilogy, Lucas created a religion and the Force was mystical.  In the first trilogy, it's biological, and becoming an "angel" (as Ben did after ANH) is something you learn, not something you earn.  And yeah, why didn’t we see Qui-Gon there at the end?

Jokabofe, I think R2 and 3PO have always been Abbott and Costello.  I was just pleased they didn’t have the one-liners in this one that 3PO had in AOTC.  I just wonder how Bail knew he could trust R2 not to say anything to anyone – obviously he wasn’t concerned with wiping R2’s memory banks.  As for the banter during battles, I’ve never been in a war situation, but I work in the news business and when we have breaking stories, even tragedies, people make all kinds of joking comments. It helps relieve the stress.

Valin Kenobi, a lot of cineplexes use the same projector for multiple theatres, which would explain why the meltdown happened everywhere.  Good thing they had an extra print lying around, or perhaps they just cut out the burned part and patched it. I heard about a problem with the 12:30 screening in Pensacola; thank goodness our screening went off without a hitch.

Herbert, I can see Anakin in the Vader suit in Episodes 4-6.  The crying (mourning) will end soon, and he’ll simply be left with numbness, pain, and anger.  To me, Ep3 explains why Vader was running around killing so many Imperial officers in ESB; he’s found out that his son is alive and he’s frustrated and angry because if he’d known that 20 years earlier, perhaps he could have changed his life.  He feels more manipulated than he has in a long time.  Or maybe I’m just reading too much into it. <G>  (My husband said, too much is left to us fans to figure out or create our own explanations for.)  I agree that the lightsaber fights are too fast – but that’s a complaint we have about many movie fight scenes these days.  The fast-paced action that began with Ep4 has gotten more intense – every film wants to outdo its predecessors – to the point where you can’t tell what’s going on or appreciate the training and choreography that goes into a good movie fight.

Overall, I was very, very pleased with the film. I think it’s tied with “Empire” for second place (Ep4 will always be my favorite), and I might even like it a little better than ESB.  I need to see it again. And again.   :)
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2005, 03:01 PM »
The whole pregnant and dead thing- nope... because they would have tried to remove the babies had she died in childbirth, in order to save them... and had they died they weren't going to "stuff" them back in her- they would have their own funeral...
She may have been just "puffy"- it's not like it goes back flat immediately... you still have swelling, etc...
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2005, 03:11 PM »
I did not even notice Padme's belly at the end.  My friend thought it was also an attempt to make it look like she was still pregnant.  So everyone would think her twins died with her as well.  Kind of cool if that was the intent. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2005, 04:32 PM »
I did not even notice Padme's belly at the end.  My friend thought it was also an attempt to make it look like she was still pregnant.  So everyone would think her twins died with her as well.  Kind of cool if that was the intent. 
That was said in the novelization I believe...Yoda says something to the effect that it should appear that she died pregnant to help hide the children

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: to the point
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2005, 05:37 PM »
Not to sound like a dick here but I highly doubt you remember Star Wars at 2 years old.  Most childhood memories do not form til the age of 4 unless they are traumatic.  I hear people all the time that they saw Star Wars when they were 1,2 and even 3.. Sorry I dont buy it.  Begging your Father to take you?  You must of been a prodigy who had great skills in the English language at that time.  I think some people just wish they were part of the original generation that saw SW on the big screen for bragging rights. 

I was 4 in '77, and I distinctly remember seeing parts of ANH on TV in a movie-program, namely the Stormtroopers falling over the place when the first torpedo explodes, and Luke taking of his helmet.

So, being very young, you can still remember some things very clearly without them being traumatic.

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2005, 01:00 AM »

Not just any friend either...it was me!   ;)

I loved the film.  Check out my review if you get a chance.
http://blogs.starwars.com/Jedidz23StarWarsBlog/5

As far as Leia remembering her mother, she just remembers images of her.  If you recall, in ESB, she knows at the end to go back to Bespin to pick up Luke off of the Cloud City weather vane, and at the end of Jedi, she has a feeling that Luke wasn't on the Death Star when it blew up.  Essentially, she is strong in the Force, but doesn't have it honed by any means.   She probably got a sense of her birth mother in this way as well.   I suppse the same is true of Luke when he first gets to Degobah, he says there is something familliar about "this place."  He is probably just sensing Yoda, since Yoda was present for the birth.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 01:06 AM by Jedidz23 »

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2005, 06:46 AM »
As far as Leia remembering her mother, she just remembers images of her.  If you recall, in ESB, she knows at the end to go back to Bespin to pick up Luke off of the Cloud City weather vane, and at the end of Jedi, she has a feeling that Luke wasn't on the Death Star when it blew up.  Essentially, she is strong in the Force, but doesn't have it honed by any means.   She probably got a sense of her birth mother in this way as well.   I suppse the same is true of Luke when he first gets to Degobah, he says there is something familliar about "this place."  He is probably just sensing Yoda, since Yoda was present for the birth.

Sorry, but that is really really grapsing for straws.

What happens at the end of TESB is Luke sending out a message to Leia via the Force, Leia is not receiving that due to her alleged Force-abilities. She was not scripted in TESB to be Luke's sister, she didn't have any link to any Force-abilities whatsoever in TESB.

Her sensing Luke at the end of ROTJ is there to amplify her being Luke's sister.

And if Leia knows about her mother through the Force, why doesn't the Force let Luke know about his mother? Why didn't he pick up anything at the same time Leia supposedly did?

No, Leia remembering her real mother is just plain impossible. The only explanation can be that Bail tells her a lot about Padmé, trying to make her grow up with the values and ideals that her mother held high, so that she could become a great ally for the Rebellion through political means.

Luke, on the other hand, appears to have been tuck away to be trained as the warrior Jedi, the one to directly challenge the Sith.

Off course, all this is due to GL's decision to wrap it all up in ROTJ leaving some awkward plotholes behind.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: to the point
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2005, 09:38 AM »
Not to sound like a dick here but I highly doubt you remember Star Wars at 2 years old.  Most childhood memories do not form til the age of 4 unless they are traumatic.  I hear people all the time that they saw Star Wars when they were 1,2 and even 3.. Sorry I dont buy it.  Begging your Father to take you?  You must of been a prodigy who had great skills in the English language at that time.  I think some people just wish they were part of the original generation that saw SW on the big screen for bragging rights. 

I was 4 in '77, and I distinctly remember seeing parts of ANH on TV in a movie-program, namely the Stormtroopers falling over the place when the first torpedo explodes, and Luke taking of his helmet.

So, being very young, you can still remember some things very clearly without them being traumatic.

Like I said in my post.  Memories start forming at age 4.  No way a movie would be remembered at 2.