Author Topic: Dark Forces Mod for Jedi Academy!  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Dark Forces Mod for Jedi Academy!
« on: April 30, 2005, 06:13 PM »
I stumbled across this while downloading a patch for Battlefront.  It's the first few levels of Dark Forces but created for the updated grapics of Jedi Academy!  It's not without a few bugs, as read about on the page, but it still looks pretty interesting.

You can view/download it here.

Anyone try it yet???
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Dark Forces Mod for Jedi Academy!
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2005, 02:04 AM »
I actually did play some of it...  Followed it a while but I haven't really looked at it of late.

The reason I really didn't care for the conversion was that the physics, especially those related to ranged combat, of the JO or JA engines are so outta whack and generally piss-poor that it didn't have the same "fun" to it that Dark Forces did.  The balance just isn't there.

Ranged weapons in JO and JA have SUCKED, and I've yet to see anyone able to really adapt it so they ever equaled the quality of JK or DF.  JO and JA expect you to go hog-wild with the saber and force powers more than using blasters and such, so the blaster dynamic just never got the attention it deserved.

That's why I long for Lucasarts to do a NEW game for Katarn's storyline, but set somewhere either prior to DF in timeline, or just after it and before the JK storyline.  Really work on blaster weapons and things, really make us feel like that JK/DF feeling where any weapon was useful...  well, practically.

The conversions are good for a trip down memory lane though, if you can't get DF to run on your system.  I can't get DF to run with sound, but I can get the game itself to run.  For some reason though, and I've tried everything under the sun to fix it, that sound just won't work for me.

I was really hoping that Rep. Commando was gonna usher in a new age of "realistic" shooters for Star Wars, but I was let down to see that they had "super" enemies, unrealistic powers, many relatively useless weapons, etc...  Not at all what I was hoping for since I was rather wanting a "Tom Clancy"-esque type of shooter instead, with some tactical elements mixed in.  It was a much more watered-down version of that with poorer weapons in the game I felt.

Fun to run through on a weekend, but not gonna make SW first-person gaming like it was back when Jedi Knight came out.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77