Author Topic: ARC-170 Fighter  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
ARC-170 Fighter
« on: April 30, 2005, 06:37 PM »
Now that I finally have some pilots for this fighter, I thought I'd write a small review of it.

Scale:  I think this vehicle is in perfect scale for the 3 3/4" figures.  The three pilots fit in it quite well, and so does the R4 unit (I put in the ROTS Preview R4 unit).  From the footage of the fighter in the trailers, I think Hasbro got this one dead on the mark.

Detail:  There's a lot of detail in this fighter, but I think there could be more.  They gave quite a bit of decals for this, but in the second seat (the Nav/WSO/EWO guy), there's two raised spots on the console, but there are no decals for them.  I think they would've been perfect for some kind of decals for some displays, but there are none.  There is also nothing in the tailgunner position, but I tink if there was actually something in there, the figure would not fit.

Playability:  I think this is one of Hasbro's best works to date!  There's tons of it for a kid to do.  The most interesting feature is the handle that actually folds into the ship, and was not made as part of the landing gear that has been done in previous vehicles (the Imperial Shuttle readily comes to mind).  There is also a trigger on the handle that drops the proton torpedo "Bombs" and the large wing-mounted guns also have firing projectiles that go pretty far!  (Another feature that scared my cat!)  My only complaint here is that the socket for the droid is a little too big, so the droid can fall out if you invert the fighter during a dogfight.

Overall:  This is the best vehicle Hasbro has made in the ROTS line that I have pilots for!  I'm guessing that the Obi-Wan starfighter will surpass this one once I get a pilot for it, but until then, this one reigns supreme!  5/5!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: ARC-170 Fighter
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2005, 11:31 PM »
Matt, good review...  Very thorough.

I agree on the ARC being pretty good for playability.  Lots of features, size, fun, fun, and more fun...  All 3 seats are a good thing too and working astromech sockets are always fun.

I'd disagree on scale...  It's pretty off from the film ships, especially if word on a 22m wingspan is true.  It'd be one hefty craft, which a $30 toy does not translate to generally.  The ship seems, on one hand, to be quite accurate but as more images of ARC's have shown up I'm leaning more towards it being substantially underscaled yet.

The cockpit features are great though, and I wish the Jedi fighters fit astro's as well as the ARC does.  I'm still trying to decipher if they fudged how that works and the toys are legitimately to-scale (IE: pinning the blame on Lucasfilm's designers not making a ship function in reality since they just animate it), or if Hasbro messed up the scale.  If that Jedi Fighter is on though, I'm buying up some extras for repaints I do believe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TT8L

• Youngling
  • subtle hint...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 12:59 AM »
My only complaint about the ARC-170 is that the lines and form of the whole thing look a little cartoonish to me... I don't know if that makes sense, but when I look at my X-wing it looks like a replica of something real that people broke sweat and likely some fingers to scrap together to fight the empire while in comparison the ARC-170 seems like..... a clean crisp CGI flashbang (i.e. bright and shiny, though it hasn't got much personality).

This could be a result of my bias against CGI, but I still feel like the ARC-170 lacks the grit and human feel that some of the figures have had.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 04:25 PM »
got one of these for my son recently and it is a blast! one big fereakig ship too!
it's actually little heavy for my 5 year old but just fine for me  ;)
only thing I don't like is the manual wing flaps you have to open up yourself because the bottum ones pop out :o
but overall, I rank it right up there next to the awesome republic gunship as a favorite big ship.  I recommend it if you got the space.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline bobafett1121

• Youngling
  • Boba Fett Rules!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 10:31 AM »
the arc 170 to me is one of the best made ships in a long time. and I think that the cartoonish look it has is from the bright red paint job that the ship has.
Boba Fett Rules!!!!!!

Offline JediSpyke

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2005, 04:46 PM »
I just got my ARC170 out of lay-a-way and put it all together last night. Like I expected, this is one cool ship! I did notice I had to tighten the mounting bracket for one of the main cannons, but that wasn't a big deal.

Like others have said, I wish there had been more control display stickers, but over all, I think this is really one of their best efforts. I really like how the handle folds into the ship so it's out of the way. One thing that doesn't really make sence is the front landing skid. It really does nothing more than give the impression that the ship is resting on something other than its nose. I do like how it folds cleanly away though.  I've not put an astromech in the socket so I don't know how that fits yet.

It would have been nice if the wings poped open with a button, but there's only so much we can expect at the $28 price mark. As it is, I think you really get a great ship at a great price. This would really be a great one to build a squad with if they ever mark them down. Given the value of the ship though, I doubt there were be many left to mark down.

Jedi Spyke

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 01:43 PM »
this ship is totally a must have for star wars fans. this thing is huge and fun to play with. if u dont have, go get it NOW!!  :P

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Excellent execution and a great scale.  Love the fact that it can hold three figures (BTW, who should man the turret)?

A must have vehicle for every collector (especially the openers).

My only complaint - the decal instruction sheet is a big pain the ass to decipher.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 03:58 AM »
Really loved it!! My son plays it up often ..it looks really good w/ 3 black pilots in it! Our r2 unit never falls out when he inverts the ship. It's the earlier r2d2 in the ROTS line. I like how the wings break down and it's not as bulky in the car for road trips!