Author Topic: Episode III - Preview Figures (SPOILERS)  (Read 26846 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Episode III - Preview Figures (SPOILERS)
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2005, 10:50 PM »
Just finished fondling my figures and I can't complain about any of the 4.  All of them are homeruns!

What torques me off is that they won't do this same quality for all of the ROTS stuff.  I see no reason why kids wouldn't want to play with these too

Best new feature:  R4 ( ::) I still hate calling this R2 unit R4) and the wind up center leg.  Amazing and it works so well that you can't even see it when its inside the body

I hate the Wookiee coloring but I'm still buying 2-3 more.  Which says a lot that I can overlook the shoddy paint job and admire the greatness of Wookiee Love.

Grievous may be the only Grievous I buy

Tion Meddon is also a great figure.  The headsculpt and nice articulation are great pluses

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Oh man! There's no Walmarts in New York City.

*Shakes fist at the sky* Damn you, Walmart!!!  >:(

When are these supposed to come out for us non-Walmartians?

There's some in Jersey  :D

That's true, but I live in Astoria, Queens, so I'd have to either cut across Manhattan or go through it. Still, I'm going to be heading into Jersey this weekend for a relative's birthday, so maybe I'll see if there's a walmart along the route.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2005, 09:37 PM »
TRU's usually good about not leaking stuff early so I'm surprised they have them too.  Maybe trying to beat otehrs to the punch.  Do you recall the price on them there Jared?

I hoped to find some at my nearest WM tonight but no luck.  I would've grabbed a Wookie and R4 if they had either...  Oh well, guess my local WM read the street date because other than ANH VOTC and a Felipern on the pegs, they really had nothing of note...

I'd dig more wookies, that's for sure.

I'm actually not wild about R4's "feature".  Guess I like the turning head more than one laden to a feature, but I'm sure he's a good figure either way... 

impressive to say, but I think standing General Greivous (not easy) is probably the only major negative to any of the figures.  None are perfect by any means, but they blow E2's entire run out of the water in my book.  If this is Collection 2's quality this year, then color me impressed.  It appers to be the case too, so I dare say I'm more excited about collecting this year than I have been in ages.  Figures I finally don't feel that I have to "fix" in some way or another... 

Looking at Aayla Secura's images, I'm already tossing the extra AS I got on clearance into my fodder bin for something else.  Hell, I even appreciate the AOTC AS even more now because she's cool for that one kicking pose, and I'll just dig having a fairly super poseable one for any dioramas I ever want to use with her in it.

Life's good...  I just now hope they carry this level of quality into the OT and start redoing things.  I'd take me some Classic army builders as nice as that Preview Wookie I know.  Rebels need that kinda quality, and a Death Star Trooper is sorely needing to be that cool too! :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2005, 04:22 AM »
Ditto.  I'll skip a fair number of these, even some of the Jedi (another Ki Adi Mundi I just cannot do, don't know why) but my maliase is over.  Spuffy has returned!!!   ;D

Now I just need cash.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2005, 07:25 AM »
Anybody have pics or ideas if the other Wookie Warrior to be released later will be the same as the Preview?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2005, 07:57 AM »
None of it have surfaced that I'm aware of...  Anyone else?  Tarful's pic has, and he's looking pretty cool I think too, and maybe reusing parts?  The warrior listed, I almost expect to just be a recard of this.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2005, 12:52 PM »
I'm convinced the 2nd Wookiee Warrior is going to be different in some way from the Preview version, even if it is just paint apps, a head swap, or armor variants. Considering the movie cards are exactly the same as the preview cards, they must plan on the two lines mixing together and it would be pointless to ship the same figure so quickly under a different collection and card number.

Oh, Jesse, the price on the previews at TRU were 6.99. Now you can pay a full 1.09 more than Wal-Mart for the experience of shopping in Toys R Us, where they aim to impress with dirt mall K-mart ambiance and service!  ;)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2005, 05:59 PM »
Stumbled upon these myself this afternoon at a Target...honestly I wasn't even looking for 'em (but once I'd heard the April figures had started to leak, I had to at least look...) I was really impressed with the looks of them, and picked up a Wookiee and R4.

R4 can be the standard for astromechs now...just sculpt up an R5-D4 head and get that thing on the shelves already! I'm really impressed with all of the features included:a retractable third leg that wont get loose, wheels that don't make the two-footed pose awkward, an unobtrusive place to plug in a hologram (which could easily become a standard astromech accessory), the extra detail on the foot wires (without paying ten bucks) clicking dome, light-up eyeport (though possibly they could've made that correct like R2-R9's, but that's just nitpickin'). I was fairly sure I'd buy this guy just for variety's sake--I love the astromechs--but this is "an extremely well-put together little droid."

And now the Wookiee. First off, I'd seen the size comparison pictures here, but I was still impressed when I pulled him out of the package. I think that was by design--he actually stands pretty low in the bubble, almost to disguise his height on the card, but when you pull him out, you can see his feet go all the way to the bottom of the package--outside the insert plastic, in fact. It makes for an impressive removal from the package.

His face reminds me of Chewie's wife, his gun looks goofy, his helmet won't stay on. I like his bandolier/armor--especially the fact that it is removable. I may wind up repainting his arms a more even shade. That's the one big gripe I have about this guy--VOTC Chewie's multicolored fur worked well because of the joints used. If the back of this guy's arms are black and front are brown, then how are we supposed to use the angle joints correctly?

As for the packaging, I liked the looks of it to begin with, but in person the lava is a little busy for the eyes. Vader pretty much disappears when the figure is in there. I'm impressed with the cardboard inserts...I had no idea there were two separate pieces in there, they work well, and the big picture cards may make nice little side-collectibles to save alongside those Force Files and Commtech Chips. I can fully see this package being used for non-ROTS figures soon enough--all they need to do is swap out the "Revenge of the Sith" title on the bottom, and it would work.

I may yet pick up Grievous--he looked good. Just didn't feel him at the 6.99 pricepoint. I may even get another Wook, if/when I see them at Wal*Mart's cheaper price. I had not planned on getting more than the droid, so Hasbro has succeeded in reeling me in, anyway. That's a feat.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 06:09 PM by Muftak »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2005, 11:17 PM »
I snagged a Greivous and a Tion Medon by pure luck and chance. It was a lucky day all around. I got a call back for an interveiw, got to go to dinner, and then we headed out to Wal*Mart. Rather than pay me 20 bucks for shoveling I asked "If they have a couple Star Wars figures out, can I get those instead of money, is that ok?" And with a dash I sprinted to the toy isle, and saw a plethora of Wookie Warriors, one Tion and no General Greivous.

There were 2 fresh cases of Clone Wars 3 toon figures, and a stray CW Greivous on the shelf. I grabbed Tion, and rooted around for the Astromech with no luck. I kept looking at that lone CW Greivous, and finnaly I decided to put it back with the others (all due to the OCD in me.) and I found 2 General Greivous Preveiw Figures.

I'm pleased with both figures, especialy Tions blaster.

:)

I'm back in the buying game gang!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2005, 10:33 AM »
You know, we were at Wal-Mart over the weekend, and I had found the Preview figures there earlier in the week (in an odd area of the toy section, the Star Wars area didn't have pegs up yet).  Now, when we went back this weekend, the pegs were up, but only two Grievous figures were there.  I went to the area where I found them earlier, and they were gone from there and replaced with some other miscellaneous toys.  I find it very hard to believe that they sold out (there were TONS) when I picked up my set of four, so maybe they heard about the Feb 1 release date and took them back in.  Just curious if that is what happened, or if they really sold that well.  I'm thinking about picking up a couple more wookiees once they show again, I've got two so far, but a few more would be ok.

Also, on a side note, do you think we're going to see Anakin's fighter tomorrow?  I don't think we've heard any reports of this showing anywhere in the US, so I'm wondering if it will be delayed a bit.  I'm kind of hoping it will show up, but we'll see.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2005, 01:05 PM »
I hit wallyworld, target and TRU but didn't find anyting other than the flacon at WW for $18!
But the stores did have empty peg hooks and targets said ep3 preview on them for $6.99. Will probably go to ww for them.
I'm looking for GG and R4
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2005, 04:28 PM »
Alright, once and for all, what the heck is WallyWorld??!?!!?! ???

SilverZ

« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2005, 04:30 PM »
Also, on a side note, do you think we're going to see Anakin's fighter tomorrow?  I don't think we've heard any reports of this showing anywhere in the US, so I'm wondering if it will be delayed a bit.  I'm kind of hoping it will show up, but we'll see.

I was just wondering the same thing. I'm excited to finally get a new ship that's not a lame turd like the Sandcrawler.

SWS.com says they'll have it tomorrow. But aside from those plans (if true) the only place I've even seen shelf tags for the thing is Kmart of all places. You'd think people would be finding these pretty easy by now if the figures have been leaking constantly for 2 weeks. So I think the chances that these have been locked up safe and sound for a strict street date are pretty slim.

I have this feeling we'll all hit the stores and find that not a single thing has changed since today. Empty pegs and pegwarmers. No masses of Preview figures, and certainly no sign of the Starfighter. Then it'll trickle in over the next few weeks.

Except for TRU, who will get it just before Christmas time. That would because they suck. Suck, suck, suck, suck, suck, suck, suck, suck, suckity, suck, suck, suck.

SilverZ

« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2005, 04:36 PM »

I drove there once only to discover that they were closed for 2 weeks!  >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2005, 04:41 PM »

I thought they close down Wally World in 1983 after that freak almost killed the guard with a pellet gun

I think Wally World usually means...