Author Topic: Episode III - Preview Figures (SPOILERS)  (Read 26840 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Episode III - Preview Figures (SPOILERS)
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2004, 11:30 AM »
I think you're meaning, these are official pics...not these were found in stores...right?

Either way, these look a ton better than the Episode II preview figs, can't wait to get them all :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2004, 11:33 AM »
These do look nice, and I really like the looks of Anakin's starfighter as well.  Can't wait for these to start to show up.  I'm really enjoying all of the early looks at things thus far, but it just makes me want to see more :).  I saw on that little preview "pamphlet" shown at RS, that there is a Wookiee supersoaker.  Might be a fun "odd collectible" to pick up.  Always wanted a supersoaker in the house anyways, for spraying the nephews when they visit and such :P.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2004, 11:42 AM »
I think you're meaning, these are official pics...not these were found in stores...right?

Either way, these look a ton better than the Episode II preview figs, can't wait to get them all :)

Yeah, not out in stores yet, but fully flushed out in official Hasbro pictures...

They look pretty good, much better than Episode 2, I agree.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2004, 01:48 PM »
Rebelscum now has a little bigger, clearer picture of the preview figures' (R4-G9 in particular) cardback.  Check it out at the linky.

SilverZ

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2004, 12:15 AM »
What's with these waves leaking so early and into website's hands?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2004, 12:44 AM »
Great stuff...

The Anakin fighter, if to-scale, could be incredible.  I was always a little disappointed in the E2 fighter that it was too "action feature" layden like all the figures, and they passed on it having working rear landing gear.

If it did it'd have been a very accurately scaled ship.  Damn that "attack mode" feature though, that wasn't anywhere in the film.   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline stormtripper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2004, 01:44 AM »
I think that anikans ships looks far too predictible, I mean I wasn't surprized at all with its shape. I didn't and don't like the looks of the jedi star fighters either. I have always thought that the naboo fighters were awesome looking. So with that being said I will only buy 1 LOL ;D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2004, 08:35 AM »
Galactic Hunter has some closer, clearer shots up of the Preview Grievous.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2004, 04:17 PM »
Yeah, uh, is that a peg thtickin outta his hand? 'Cause I think thats disguthtin.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 1, 2004, 10:45 AM »
As Jesse mentioned on the front page, the latest issue of Star Wars Insider has some nice images of the four preview figures, as well as the preview vehicle (Anakin's Starfighter).  Everything looks really good from what I can see, and I can't wait until these start hitting the pegs/shelves (supposedly by Feb 1st, 2005).

Also of note, they have started a "feature" within the Jabba's Collection section (that covers Hasbro's products) entitled "Making the Figure" and covers the production of the ROTS figures from start to finish.  Within this first installment, they specifically mention the action features..."This topic is a source of much debate within the Star Wars collector community.  Relying on what it had learned about the Episode II lineup - mainly that kids enjoy action features while collectors aren't as fond of them - Hasbro took a new approach when conceptualizing those feature."  It also goes on to say that "squeezing the legs together will activate most action features, which means no more buttons protruding from their bodies to mar the aesthetics."  It also says that figures will be "amply articulated" to "fit inside vehicles".  Just thought that might be of interest...you can check out the entire feature in Insider # 79.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 1, 2004, 12:41 PM »
Well we shall see if the figures can actually fit in their vehicles or not this time around.  They also claimed the figures could be fitted into vehicles before by saying you just needed to  "work them into" the vehicle.  Ha-ha!  Ok Hasbro.  Whatever you say. 

Yep, it's a fact.  Kids love the action features (rolls eyes).  Regardless it sounds like an interesting article. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: December 1, 2004, 06:22 PM »
The making-of documentary's really good for people to learn the process they make figures by.  It's been posted on the net before how it's done, so most folks enjoying hte hobby know the general routine, but the Insider's showing a lot of stuff unseen to most before so I think the article will be informative for the majority.

I've seen every production process's step at one point or another for various toy lines (including Star Wars), but I still found this article pretty enjoyable.  It's neat seeing the concept drawings and how the designers envision the toy much the same way film-makers draw out a sequence of events on storyboard for a film. 

it's a neat read even if you just check it real quick at the newsstands.  And it's only part I of a multi-part mini-article, so check it out if you have time.

The shots of the preview wave that we've seen so far online don't do the figures justice, judging by the shots in Insider.  Really nice stuff shown there, and the Wookie and Greivous look ten times better than before IMO.

The Jedi Fighter (Anakin's) I'm not sure on.  R2 looks like he just plugs into this ship, but that it doesn't have a bottom to it and like R2's lower half is just gone...  This makes me think the ship is way underscale, but I don't know enough about it to say at this point.  If it is though, I'm disappointed because NO fighter should be underscaled given what is put out by other companies.  Plus this thing DOESN'T look big in any shot I've ever seen, so I don't know.

Just seems odd.

Oh, and Obi's Astromech has the hoses on his feet.  I didn't notice that till now, but he's a really nice looking figure.  Best astromech ever possibly.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 1, 2004, 11:15 PM »
I was thinking that R2D2 didn't look just right in the pic in the Insider too.  He definitely looked like he was cut in half. 

As for the preview droid - yes the hoses on the feet look great.  Too bad the only R2 like that (at least that I can think of) is the VOTC R2D2 - and I don't like that figure at all. 

Sail Barge R2D2 is the best of him to date IMO.

:P

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Sneak Preview At Walmart
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2005, 03:33 PM »
Great to see this on the front page - nice to see these have shown up already somewhere!

That Wookie looks huge and tough... I will buy many of these...

:P

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: Sneak Preview At Walmart
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2005, 05:46 PM »
I'm so psyched for these I could crap my pants!  ;D

I'm really loving Grievous, more so than I even thought I would. Bring 'em on!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram