Author Topic: Hi! I'm a newb so......  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Hi! I'm a newb so......
« on: May 4, 2005, 03:12 PM »
A few questions, but first: 

Awesome customs dudes!  Someday, hopefully I'll be as skilled.

K, with the questions:

1.  What's the BEST tape to use for straight lines on figs?  I've tried blue and regular masking tape, electrical, duct, but none seem to do the job.  Perhaps it's in the application of the tape, or how long to let the paint dry?

2.  When to sand?  Before, after each coat of paint?  I always sand and clean w/windex prior to painting a fig, though.

3.  DD mentions white spirits and someone else (Chewie?) mentioned mineral turpentine as great ways to remove stock or acrylic paint from a fig without damaging the plastic.  Where do you guys get these items?  No one at hobby stores,  or craft stores around here (Utah) knows what I'm talking about when I ask.  Might they be at a hardware store?

4.  Some of you dremel out helmets so you can give clones/ARCs a head.  I have a dremel, and before I go to buy some more bits/sanders for it I'd like to know which ones work best for this task.

Any help would be appreciated

bjardkerr

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Hi! I'm a newb so......
« Reply #1 on: May 4, 2005, 03:22 PM »
1.  What's the BEST tape to use for straight lines on figs?  I've tried blue and regular masking tape, electrical, duct, but none seem to do the job.  Perhaps it's in the application of the tape, or how long to let the paint dry?

When you find an answer to that let me know. ;) I've heard of using paper as a straight edge instead of tape.

2.  When to sand?  Before, after each coat of paint?  I always sand and clean w/windex prior to painting a fig, though.

I usually sand before I start, though sometimes when I'm feeling lazy I don't and it isn't too much of a problem.

3.  DD mentions white spirits and someone else (Chewie?) mentioned mineral turpentine as great ways to remove stock or acrylic paint from a fig without damaging the plastic.  Where do you guys get these items?  No one at hobby stores,  or craft stores around here (Utah) knows what I'm talking about when I ask.  Might they be at a hardware store?

I'm sure they would have them at hobby stores, they do near me. I know for sure that Home Depot has them, in a couple sizes and varietis, and I'm pretty sure any paint store or other hardware store would have them, they aren't uncommon.

4.  Some of you dremel out helmets so you can give clones/ARCs a head.  I have a dremel, and before I go to buy some more bits/sanders for it I'd like to know which ones work best for this task.

I used to use a drill bit and then my little bullett sander, but someone borrowed my dremel and tried to drill using the bullett sander and completely stripped it. I haven't been able to find one since. Then while at C3 Doug from FFURG turned me on to routing/engraving bits. They come in diiferent sizes from large to very small. These are so versitile and the smallest one is amazing. I'd sugget these now, you can be very precise with them and they are small enough to only remove what you want removed.

Hope that helps! And Welcome!! ;D :)
« Last Edit: May 4, 2005, 06:29 PM by Sith Lord Chaos »
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2005, 05:15 PM »
I think SLC did a good job answering your questions... and welcome here!

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2005, 06:34 PM »
Oh one more thing, related to sanding, I always seal My figures when I'm done using Testors Dull cote spray. It eliminates the shine and seals the paint so it woun't chip or rub off as easy. But to be sure it won't rube off or chip you have to make sure you do a good job with prep work and pick a good brand of paint that is flexible and can bend. JesseJames and a few other guys recomend Tamayia, I have tried them myself but I plan on picking some up this summer.

And I editted my answer to the dremmel question. I meant a routing bit not an engraving bit. They are very similar though and both work well.
"This is the way."