Author Topic: Hardest Episode 1 figure to find?  (Read 22651 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Hardest Episode 1 figure to find?
« on: May 5, 2005, 11:36 PM »
I'm in the process of packing up my collection room for the time being ( :'( ) and was looking at some of my figures... and I was just wondering, what Episode 1 figure did you have the hardest time finding?

For me, since I'm a variation collector, I would have to say the Yoda w/Episode 1 Text was by far the hardest figure for me to find. Even though I am still trying to find an affordable loose Amidala Ascension and Pit Droid 2 pack, I could have had 20 of each back in the day, but didn't feel like paying the $10 each price at FAO Schwartz (if I only knew then what I know now, eh?)....

So what figure was the hardest for you to find?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Hardest Episode 1 figure to find?
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2005, 10:44 AM »
My "hardest to find" Episode 1 Figure was the stupid "Swimming Jar-Jar".  I think he was 1-per-case in that box and I kept just missing him.   :-\

I'd find Soft Goods Qui-Gon and Damaged Droideka, but that dang Gungan eluded me to the very end.  I lucked out and stumbled into a cache of the HTF Collection 2 and 3 figures (Sio, Ascention Maidala, Pit Droids, R2-B1, TC-14), but that stupid "swimming JarJar" took a while.

The worst part is I was stressing over not having a JarJar figure...  ::)

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline YodaCollector

• Youngling
  • Yoda I am
    • View Profile
    • www.yodacollector.com
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2005, 11:26 PM »
The episode 1 with text was a bit of a pain but it was those darn non-us figures that were hard. I only collect Yoda and have been working to get a complete run of the Epsiode 1 yoda figures.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 12:06 AM by YodaCollector »

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #3 on: May 8, 2005, 06:41 AM »
As far as the regular release single packed figs, for me the hardest would have to be (in order with 1 being hardest):

1)Amidala ascention
2)TC-14
3)R2-B1
4)Sio Bibble
5)Pit Droid 2 pack
6)Battle Damaged Droideka
7)Swimming Jar-Jar
8)Holo sidious
9)EP I text Yoda

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: May 8, 2005, 05:28 PM »
TC-14 and R2-B1

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2005, 10:46 PM »
Darth Sidious - Holograph
Pit Droids (2pack)
Queen Amidala - Battle
Qui-Gon Jinn - Jedi Master
R2-B1
Sio Bibble
TC-14

... cuz I'm still looking for them.  At prices below eBay right now.   ::)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 02:28 AM »
I had to order TC-14 and R2-B1 from an online store since I never found them at retail. Never did see the Yoda with Ep. I text.

I found Amidala w/ Ascension Gun, Sio, and the Pit Droids on sale at Target for $3 a piece, and they had a bunch there. I bought two sets, and traded off the Pit Droids for a Mynock Hunt set that I couldn't find during the Great Purge. I stumbled onto Swimming Jar Jar easily too. I actually had a harder time getting the Droideka from that wave.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 12:40 PM »
Darth Sidious - Holograph
Pit Droids (2pack)
Queen Amidala - Battle
Qui-Gon Jinn - Jedi Master
R2-B1
Sio Bibble
TC-14

... cuz I'm still looking for them.  At prices below eBay right now.   ::)

Does that mean below retail? :P

These were never available in Canada, as I'm sure Jesse knows.  Another example of Hasbro Canada dumping the line before it actually stops, most infuriating. But once I began trading I ended up with very few problems finding any of these. 

Amidala was tough and she didn't come cheap trade-wise, though I only paid $3 CAD for my loose version. Actually I got the entire Ep I run for $3 CAD per figure, so while I inherited a lot of crap with it, it balanced out quite well in the end.  I traded a lot of the commons 2 for 1.  One what?  Red ARC trooper. ;D

I've had six holo Sidious go through my hands at one point or another.  I'd always take this kind of stuff as trade fare and he seemed remarkably common on the secondary market. 

The only thing I paid above retail for was the pit droid two pack, the last piece I needed.  Then I got my loose version in the set I bought.  Sio was kind of tough, I've only ever negotiated for my loose and one carded.  Never had extras of that.  Never had extras of the swimming Jar Jar either, but never wanted them.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 09:19 AM »
For me it was pretty much that Sio Bibble, Red Goatee Naboo Guard, Holo Sidious wave.  I did see it at retail once and bought it.  I didn't like the ascension gun Padme or pit droid 2 pack and left those.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 11:19 PM »
The last wave of each collection was universally hard to find, and if you're going to go with the accesory sets as well, since they have the same card size, the second wave is harder to find than any of the figures.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 11:23 AM »
My order went like this (found all of these at stores) I always hit the local 24 hour Wal mart at 2 Am when these got stocked.

Swimming Jar Jar
Tc14 and the astromech
last wave (amidala ascension)
yoda w/text
Holo sidious wave (with red guard)
flat bubble r2

I only saw the Jar Jar wave once in any store; the amidala wave I saw everywhere-I have an extra set of those- I saw the droid wave in 2 different Kmarts- I had a chance to get 4 sets of these but one store got a damaged case that crushed all the cards and bubbles.

Offline Ranat

• Youngling
  • Giggity Giggity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 5, 2005, 11:24 PM »
The Fambaa is giving me a hard time to locate at a "reasonable" price. And when I say reasonable, I don't mean $120 plus shipping on Ebay. I hope to get mine for around $90.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: August 8, 2005, 12:53 PM »
The Fambaa was expensive when it came out. I bought it at retail. To be honest with you i totally forgot about it until reading this post.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline TheBlackDog

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 9, 2005, 11:39 AM »
Swimming Jar Jar. I picked him up at Disney Orlando's Star Wars store when I was living at Jacksonville at the time. Paid $10 for him.
" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #14 on: August 9, 2005, 01:40 PM »
I would have to say that Light Up Holo Darth Maul.  Although not necessarily considered one of the 3.75" figures, I never managed to get one.

As far as standard carded figures, I would say the later waves (Sio Bibble, Battle Amidala TC-14) were the toughest, but that was when I was ordering cases of figures from Newforce, so it wasn't too hard for me.
This is the way.

I have spoken.