Author Topic: NBA - 2002/03  (Read 45178 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: The NBA Playoffs
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2003, 11:50 PM »
I was really hoping for a Dallas vs. Detroit final once the Lakers got bounced, but my losing streak continued and now we're stuck with the Nets and (YAWN) Spurs.  So all I've got to say now is GO NETS!!!  I can't stand the Spurs.  With the occasional exception of Tony Parker, this has got to be the most boring team in NBA history, with the most boring superstar in the history of sports - Tim Duncan.  So I don't want to see them win it since they've got no personality.

ROFLMAO there buddy.  You just finished cheering for one of the two MOST boring teams to ever reach an NHL final and now you complain about this?  Bwah ahahahahaha.   Sorry dude, you deserve a boring final for making us put up with the quackers.  Didn't you know, defense wins championships ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2003, 04:00 PM »
So the Spurs won, and nobody (anywhere) seems to care...   ::)

It was the lowest rated NBA Finals in the history of the Nielson ratings, which goes back 27 years.  That's pretty bad, especially considering the series showcased 2 of the best players in the NBA today - Duncan and Kidd.  Guess they just needed those "flashier" L.A. guys like Shaq and Kobe in there, huh?!   8)   ;)  Speaking of which, I assume some of you might've heard that Kobe just had shoulder surgery last week.  Turns out he was pretty badly injured for the last 10 games in the playoffs, which explains why he couldn't shoot too straight...   :-\

Back to the Finals, New Jersey barely even made a showing.  Kidd was off a fair amount, and K-Mart brought nothing in the last 2 games whatsoever.  They just couldn't get their fast break going enough to handle the always fundamentally sound, yet mind numbingly boring, Spurs.  There were several scoring futility records set in the series as well - by both teams.  Just some really dreadful play on both teams parts, which meant that the defense of the Spurs finally won out.

Oh well, at least there should be a pretty exciting free agent market in the offseason now!  Looking forward to where a lot of these guys wind up next season, but I'm praying that Karl Malone doesn't wind up in L.A. (even though he'd probably help fill a glaring hole at the power forward spot for us)...

From CNNSI.com:

2003 Free Agents:

The Superstars:
Elton Brand
Jason Kidd
Jermaine O'Neal
Tim Duncan

Secondary Stars:
Andre Miller
Brad Miller
Lamar Odom
Michael Olowokandi
James Posey
Jerry Stackhouse
Jason Terry

Rising Studs:
Gilbert Arena
Corey Maggette

Oldies but Goodies:
Karl Malone
Reggie Miller
Alonzo Mourning
Gary Payton
Scottie Pippen

Role Players:
Darrell Armstrong
Jon Barry
P.J. Brown
Elden Campbell
Derrick Coleman
Lucios Harris
Juwan Howard
Stephen Jackson
Rasho Nesterovic
Ira Newble
Kenny Thomas

B-Listers:
Kenny Anderson
Raja Bell
Calbert Cheaney
Speedy Claxton
Antonio Daniels
Kendall Gill
Dion Glover
Adrian Griffin
Othella Harrington
Tyrone Hill
Lindsey Hunter
Jim Jackson
Tyronn Lue
Jerome Moiso
Lee Nailon
Eric Piatkowski
Erick Strickland
Gary Trent
Charlie Ward
Scott Williams
Shammond Williams
Walt Williams

Jango Fettish

« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2003, 04:08 PM »
Looks like Robert and my Bobcats could really clean up with that kinda market!  :o

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2003, 11:25 PM »
So the Spurs won, and nobody (anywhere) seems to care...   ::)

Well, I have to deal with the Nets losing.  Again.  And then the whole "Will Kidd come back thing".  Uggghhh.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The NBA Draft
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2003, 05:13 PM »
NBA Draft tonight, every year my Brother, his roomy and me get together and conduct the Scott E. Roth Memorial Cup For Excellence in Mock NBA Drafting.  We pick the first 13 picks (the Lottery) whoever wins gets the trophy

Here are my choices for tonight

#1 LeBron James
#2 Darko Milicic
#3 Carmelo Anthony
#4 Chris Bosh
#5 Kirk Heinrich
#6 TJ Ford
#7 Dewayne Wade
#8 Maciej Lampe
#9 Chris Kaman
#10 Jarvis Hayes
#11 Reece Gaines
#12 Nick Collison
#13 Mickael Pietrus

The T-Pups pick at #26 I'm hoping they do pick Troy Bell, it would be a good fit!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2003, 06:10 PM »
I sure hope the Bulls pickup someone worth while... especially since Jay Williams will be out for the entire year (and his career might be over).  It sucks that they're down at #7.
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2003, 07:20 PM »
YAWN.

Since the college ranks are so totally depleted nowadays by all the high schoolers and underclassmen jumping ship to the NBA so early on, and since I'm not too familiar with most of the foreign guys, I just don't get into the drafts much anymore.  Used to throw NBA draft parties a while back, when it was much more of an exciting and suspenseful event.

LeBron's already a lock and the Lakers are nowhere near the top - so my interest in it is pretty much dead...   :-\

Good luck with the Scott E. Roth Memorial Cup For Excellence in Mock NBA Drafting though Scott!   :-*

Offline Sith Bounty Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hunting new figures daily
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2003, 01:17 PM »
I was dissappointed that a Kentucky player didn't get drafted in the first or second round >:(. I cant wait to get my hands on a LeBron James jersey, thats why I'm going to finish line today :).
Dont under estimate the power of a sith lord

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2003, 08:03 PM »
Here are my choices for tonight

#1 LeBron James
#2 Darko Milicic
#3 Carmelo Anthony
#4 Chris Bosh

#5 Kirk Heinrich
#6 TJ Ford
#7 Dewayne Wade
#8 Maciej Lampe
#9 Chris Kaman
#10 Jarvis Hayes
#11 Reece Gaines
#12 Nick Collison
#13 Mickael Pietrus

Looks like you got 6 out of 13 right Scott, and just missed on most of the others.  So...  Who won?  How'd you do?  Don't leave us hanging in suspense like that - we must know where the Scott E. Roth Memorial Cup For Excellence in Mock NBA Drafting trophy will be residing for the next year!

That had to have been the most boring NBA Draft in history.  Not even a single trade went down involving a "name" player, even of the most minor degree...   ::)  That was as boring as the Spurs winning the championship.

So, on another ugly note (to ME at least), anyone catch all this freaking crazy hoopla about Kobe wanting out of L.A.?!?   :'(   >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2003, 10:43 PM »
Interesting, where would he go?  Minnesota ;)

REally though what are his options given what he's become accustomed to in LA?  The lifestyle means pretty much only New York.  Maybe other geographically close cities on the Eastern Seaboard but I don't see him enjoying that lifestyle.  Sacramento?  The Clippers :o

Maybe just a ploy to get a whole lot more money?  I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #145 on: July 7, 2003, 12:50 PM »
Well, I won!  I lost for the first time evr last year so the cup is coming home to Papa.  I really need to take a picture of the bad boy.

Anyone remember Scott Roth?  He was a horrible garbage player on the first couple of Wolves teams that were equally horrible

So...we might as well talk about this too.

Kobe Bryant accused of sexual assault

This was a complete shocker and something I hope isn't true because by all accounts he actually is a nice guy.  My hate of him on the court is one thing but if they have some pretty good evidence (I'm talking Physical) then they need to lock him up.  If it turns into a battle of character then I'm inclined to be on his side.  

This is going to be a Media Zoo, which I hate :'(

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 7, 2003, 12:55 PM »
Honestly, it really would surprise me if this is true.  However, I was surprised Sosa would use a corked bat (although it probably was a mistake).  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #147 on: July 7, 2003, 12:58 PM »
I'd also like to congrat the Wolves on dumping two stiffs in Peeler and Joe SMith and picking up Sam Cassell, that was a coup!

I hope they can do the same with Terrell Brandon soon!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #148 on: July 7, 2003, 01:31 PM »
Yeah, that Kobe story is a major shocker knowing his character.  I can only assume that it's not true, and that the lady is just trying to get rich/famous off of riding a celebrity's coattails down the drain...  But if it is true, which I doubt, it will certainly add to Kobe's Beyond the Glory show for ESPN (or is it Fox)...   ;)

That Sam Cassell pickup was indeed a nice one for you guys Scott, but you've still got a ways to go...  On the flip side, things are looking more and more like the Lakers might very well land both Malone and Payton.  I don't like Malone, so I'm not too excited about that, but even at their ripe ol' ages of soon to be 40 and 35 respectively, they've got to put the Lakers back in the drivers seat for next year's Championship.  Of course, with four future Hall of Famers and pretty large egos on one team, it's also a recipe for disaster.  If we do land 'em both, it'll certainly put Phil's "Zen master" philosophy to the test...

I'm also concerned about Malone, 'cause he's got a bad history with both Kobe (a few all-star games back) and Magic Johnson (over the AIDS things).  Not to mention that he's very much interested in going after Kareem's all-time scoring record over the next couple years, and as the 3rd or 4th option in the Lakers offense, that could certainly lead to him causing some waves if he's not getting the rock enough...   :-\

P.S.  Congrats on the Scott E. Roth Memorial Cup For Excellence in Mock NBA Drafting trophy Scott!  Well done!   8)   :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 7, 2003, 01:56 PM »
Tough call with Kobe, that's for sure.  It's very difficult to not side with the woman, but more and more these sort of "stories" seem to crop up with the rich players.  I hope for his sake he is innocent and given that he has not yet been formally charged it does look better for him.  Turning himself in immediately was also a smart move.  If he did anything dumb, it was let himself get into a position where the story could be plausible.  I thought he was married, if so, what in heaven's name is he doing alone in a hotel with a woman other than his wife? ???

Malone could be a nice addition Matt.  Shaq at center, Kobe playing shooting guard (why not) with Payton on the point and Malone at power forward?  It could work.  And I suspect his real reason for going to LA would be to get a ring, scoring title or not.  I'd be surprised if he wouldn't put that goal aside for a championship.  And the Lakers might only sign him to a two year deal at best, given his age.  

How far behind Kareem is he?