Author Topic: NBA - 2002/03  (Read 45190 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The NBA Draft
« Reply #150 on: July 7, 2003, 02:07 PM »
Yeah, I was ticked when McHale said there is no way a 40 year old Power Forward could help the Timberwolves...hmmm.  One of the best Power Forward in the History of the Game?  I'd sign him in a heartbeat.  I've always liked the Mailman and he still has some gas left in the tank

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: The NBA Draft
« Reply #151 on: July 7, 2003, 02:26 PM »
Ah McHale.  Loved the guy when he was playing.  Went to a couple of basketball camps at U Minn (Jim Dutcher) and he was there.  Have an autograph somewhere.  Huge man.  

That said, methinks he's bitter at Malone for beating up on him while they were playing at the same time ;)  Poor choice to not pick hiim up if only to teach the younger guys.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Payton in a Lakers' Jersey?
« Reply #152 on: July 8, 2003, 09:28 PM »
Gary Payton Signs with the Lakers...

From Yahoo! News...

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Gary Payton reportedly has reached a verbal agreement to join the Los Angeles Lakers , who can use some good news.

ESPN reported Tuesday that the veteran point guard will accept the National Basketball Association team's mid-level exception, believed to be Los Angeles' limit of 4.9 million dollars.

Nothing can become official until July 16. That's when teams can begin signing free agents.

The Lakers are well over the NBA's salary cap of 40-plus million dollars, but Payton's agent - Aaron Goodwin - told ESPN that his client still will sign a multi-year deal with the dethroned champions.

Goodwin told ESPN that Payton has chosen to accept less money to join the Lakers. He said Portland was interested in acquiring his services in a sign-and-trade deal with the Milwaukee Bucks .

Payton has been a member of the All-NBA First or Second Team seven times, was named to the league's All-Defensive First Team a record-tying nine consecutive seasons from 1994-02 and is a nine-time All-Star.

But Payton has never won an NBA title, leading Seattle to the Finals in 1996.
dustrho

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The NBA Off Season
« Reply #153 on: July 9, 2003, 04:29 PM »
Hmmm, so their starting 5 could be:

Kobe
Shaq
Glove
Mailman
Maybe new draft pick Brian Cook

Not to bad :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #154 on: July 9, 2003, 07:20 PM »
This is certainly going to be interesting, to say the least...  When's the last time a team has had FOUR future Hall of Famer's in it's starting lineup?  Can't think of that ever happening, at least not in the last 30 years or so...

Sounds like a potential recipe for disaster, if you asked me.  Four big time superstars, with four big time egos.  But if those four all have the same single goal, and are willing to sacrifice some of the limelight along with their stats for the sake of the team and winning, then it could make for one helluva run this upcoming year!

There's no way in hell anyone else but the Lakers could be considered the odds-on favorite to win it all if they ink both Payton and Malone (despite their age) next week, as expected...  I think my biggest concern is that Malone is avidly chasing Kareem's all-time scoring record, and keeping up with last year's 20 points per game average - he'd be able to accomplish that within a couple of years.  But not getting the rock enough and being only the third or fourth option in the offense might wind up creating one disgruntled Mailman, if his scoring average dips too far next season...

Plus, Karl's already had a pretty serious publicly aired beef with Kobe following that All-Star game ruboff of Kobe's from a few years back.  Not to mention Malone said some less than positive things about Magic Johnson (current part owner of the Lakers), back when Magic first contracted HIV...

I dunno...  They could completely implode.  Or they could surpass the Bulls 72 wins mark for a season, and then go on to win it all for the 4th time in 5 years...  Who knows?  Hopefully it's going to be the latter!  Either way, it should be an exciting season for my boys!  8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 9, 2003, 10:44 PM »
Four future hall of famers starting?  

Lakers early 80's?  Nixon, Jabbar, Magic and one more?  Not Rambis (6th) but who else started?

Celtics early 80s?  Bird, McHale, Parrish, Dennis Johnson?  A couple of stretches there maybe.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2003, 03:28 AM »
Nope.  The Showtime Lakers had Magic, Kareem, and Worthy - but no other HOF'ers, including Norm Nixon.  The Celt's had Bird, Parrish & McHale, but DJ definitely ain't going to the Hall, nor is Ainge.  I guess technically, Bill Walton played with those guys for a short stint, but he didn't start, and he wasn't even a shell of his former playing self at that point.

Maybe the Celtics or Lakers of the 60's could put together a HOF foursome, but that'd be it (aside from the Minneapolis Lakers, but that's so long ago it doesn't even count).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2003, 09:39 AM »
(aside from the Minneapolis Lakers, but that's so long ago it doesn't even count).

It does to count!!!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2003, 12:09 PM »
I'll admit that I've never been the biggest Lakers fan, but if they are able to ink both Payton and Malone they are going to be TOUGH.  I do actually think that Payton and Malone will be willing to sacrifice a little for the good of the team too.  Lakers fans should be happy, this could be an amazing team.  Personally, I don't want to see them eclipse the Bulls' victory mark, but that is just my opinion.  I followed the Bulls for many years, actually several years before they won their first title, and that 72 win season was an amazing accomplishment....especially with the players they were able to do it with.  Beyond Michael and Scottie, those teams were basically role players, but one of the best teams ever.  Anyways....back to topic, these are some great signings by the Lakers, and should definitely make them the favorite.  Payton alone could do that though.  Should be an interesting off-season and regular season, with many people changing teams....Lebron and Melo coming in.....and all kinds of shakeups.  As a big hoops fan, I'm looking forward to it.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Malone commits to Lakers
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2003, 10:08 PM »
By KEN PETERS, AP Sports Writer
July 10, 2003

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Free agent Karl Malone, the NBA's second-leading all-time scorer, committed Thursday to join the Los Angeles Lakers, giving them a lineup with four superstars.

``We've agreed to it; he's going to become a Laker,'' Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, said Thursday. ``In his mind, he's already a Laker. He's very excited.''

Malone joins Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and another newcomer, Gary Payton, a nine-time All-Star who agreed earlier this week to play for the Lakers.

Even though Payton and Malone have reached agreements with the team, the first day free agents can sign contracts is Wednesday.

The Lakers, who won three consecutive NBA titles before losing to eventual champion San Antonio in the second round this year, probably would have been a clear favorite to win it all next year merely by getting Payton. Malone obviously makes them even more imposing.

``They have a Hall of Fame team in the making,'' New Jersey Nets assistant coach Lawrence Frank said. ``They have an outstanding team, an outstanding system and an outstanding coach.

``You always try to keep up with the Joneses and try to win in this league, but it's hard to keep up with that. We have to look for improvement from within.''  

Neither Malone, a two-time league MVP, nor Payton have played on an NBA championship team. Both were willing to take big pay cuts to have a shot at a ring with the Lakers.

Malone, who turns 40 on July 24, made it to the NBA Finals twice, in 1997 and 1998. Both times, the Jazz lost to Michael Jordan and Chicago. The Bulls' coach was Phil Jackson, now coach of the Lakers.

Malone averaged 20.6 points last season to lead Utah for the 17th consecutive year. His average of 7.75 rebounds was the team's highest for the 18th straight year.

Before joining the Lakers for next season, Malone has committed to play in his third Olympics.

Malone apparently was most interested in playing for the Lakers, but Manley said, ``He was exploring a lot of options up to the last minute.''

Although Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller was sorry to see Malone go, he understood his championship hopes.

``I don't think it's in me to deny him that, even if I could,'' Miller said Thursday, adding that joining Los Angeles' other three superstars seems a good bet for Malone to get a ring.

``If you've got to go with the odds, that's not a bad place to go,'' Miller said.

Malone's 36,374 career points trail only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 38,387. The record is still within range, but sharing the offense with Bryant, O'Neal and Payton will cut into his 25.4 career scoring average.

He is the only player with 35,000 points, 10,000 rebounds, 4,000 assists and 2,000 steals. His 1,434 games played is fourth on the all-time list.

The league's MVP in 1997 and 1999, Malone averaged at least 25 points for 11 straight seasons (1987-98).

Malone, who made $19.3 million last year, reportedly will get the veteran's minimum salary of $1.5 million with the Lakers.

The 34-year-old Payton, dealt by Seattle to Milwaukee at last season's trading deadline, would be limited to earning $4.9 million with Los Angeles in the first year of a multiyear contract. He earned $12.6 million.

O'Neal will make $26.5 million this season and Bryant will get $13.5 million.

One of the league's best defensive guards, Payton has averaged 18.3 points and 7.4 assists since coming into the NBA with the SuperSonics in 1990.

With a lineup of four players who all will probably end up in the Hall of Fame, the Lakers will be one of the NBA's most imposing teams ever.

``It looks like they're putting together an All-Star team over there,'' Nets guard Tamar Slay said. ``That's crazy, getting all those guys. In this league, everyone's competitive, but it looks like they've made a major step.''

The 1984-85 Lakers featured Magic Johnson, Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy and Bob McAdoo. Boston had Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton and Robert Parish the following season.

AP Sports Writer Doug Alden in Salt Lake City contributed to this report.
dustrho

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Off Season News
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2003, 10:50 PM »
Dang, thanks Chris.  Maybe I should get a job as a sports writer.  Oh sure, I had a couple of names not quite there, but had the years and the teams pegged.  

Matt, I assure you I wasn't thinking of Danny Ainge (though if he coaches long enough, he may make it in anyway) but DJ won a title over in Seattle too, so you never know about that.  He was better prior to coming to the Celtics.  Walton was well past his prime by then too as you accurately pointed out.  But couldn't we say the same about Malone?  Oh sure, he's not near as bad as Walton relatively speaking, but he ain't no spring chicken and won't be firing up 25-30 shots a game.

Forgot about Worthy which is funny.  He was my favorite North Carolina player until he went and played for the Lakers :P  That was a pretty awesome North Carolina lineup back in the early 80's :o

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2003, 11:39 PM »
A 40 Year Old Power Forward is worthless :-* :-*

Up yours Kevin McHale :-* :-* :-*

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2003, 09:30 AM »
This is certainly going to be interesting, to say the least...  When's the last time a team has had FOUR future Hall of Famer's in it's starting lineup?  Can't think of that ever happening, at least not in the last 30 years or so...

This article basically answers my question...

ESPN: Are Lakers most star-studded team ever?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 09:34 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2003, 11:29 AM »
Up here in Seattle a bunch of fans have been calling sports radio and are pissed about Payton signing with the rival Lakers.  They think he's some how betraying them.  For me, I think it's great!  Let's see, you tell your current team for almost 2 years that you want a contract extension so that you can end your career with the same team.  The team keeps saying no, then they end up trading you off at the trade deadline to the other side of the states away from the family.  When your contract is up with that new team, what are you going to do???  Re-sign with whoever you choose, and you have no loyalties anymore because nobody showed the loyalty to you.  He's now back on the West Coast close to his family, and at LEAST he didn't sign with Portland!!!  Now THAT would have been the knockdown blow followed by a golden shower!

As for both players latching onto the Lakers so they can get a gold ring, I think it stinks.  I can't wait till Kobe becomes a free agent and leaves LA, some other team will get all the foul calls.....can't have basketball's favorite son sitting out during the playoffs can we? ::)?

I think the worst of the offseason by far is Jason Kidd's comments(if he actually said them) about coming back to New Jersey only if Byron Scott is fired.  I hope New Jersey owners show some balls and do not bow down to one stinking players(even if he is one of the best PG in the game right now) big mouth and pompus attitude.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 11:38 AM by Lemon-Viper »
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2003, 11:42 AM »
Hey Matt, is the author from LA?  He sure reads like a homey.

Compare this:
The Lakers feature two all-time greats in Malone and Shaq, one on his way in Kobe and an easy first-ballot Hall of Famer in Payton. And extra credit for a nine-time champion as coach.

with this:
We picked this Celtics team as the most star-studded of all their '60s title squads since it was the only year Cousy and Havlicek played together. They have eight Hall of Famers, but K.C. Jones is really as a coach (he never averaged double figures) and Ramsey is a marginal Hall of Famer.

So LA gets extra credit for the coach, but the Celtics get knocked because the guy that filled the roll ended up getting into the hall because of his coaching?  Ok, double standard much.  And if you want to write off KC at that point, where's the extra credit for coaching the Celtics in the 80's? ;D

Shame, shame, such bias. ;)

Not to mention his math skills (or perhaps just his inability to write an accurate statement).
1986 Philadelphia 76ers
Hall of Famers: Julius Erving, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Bob McAdoo
MVPs: Four (Malone was a three-time MVP, the others won one apiece)
First-team All-NBA seasons: 15

Lemme see Malone had 3.  The others have 1 apiece.  That would be 1 + 1 + 1 = 3.  Isn't 3 + 3 = 6?  Or is it just that Erving had one?  No, can't be cuz McAdoo has one, or so the author indicates later when talking about one of the Lakers teams.  

Mmm, fun tearing up ESPN. ;D  And oh yeah, you really aren't going to start yapping about them winning next year's championship already are ya?  I'd really hate to dredge up all the stuff you spewed forth about them this past year only to see them lose to the most boring team in the NBA :-*