Author Topic: Enjoy The Next Few Days  (Read 13687 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Enjoy The Next Few Days
« on: May 10, 2005, 12:17 AM »
I can remember to this day me and my friends Mike and Wayne sitting in my backyard talking about Return of the Jedi.  I had seen the trailer a couple of times at the theater and I was more than pumped to see it on the big screen.  My parents on the other hand weren't so excited.  The idea of taking 8 year old me, my 5 year old sister and 4 year old brother to a movie was no walk in a park.  Finally after weeks of badgering them we went to a mantinee.

Needless to say the Johnson boys had already spoiled me rotten...Jabba, the Shuttles, the Speeder Bike Chase, The Emperor and the biggest baddest spoiler of them all...Luke and Leia were brother and sister whose dad was ANAKIN SKYWALKER.  That day of sitting in the backyard was a tiny seed that has germinated for 22 years.  Sitting there growing in the dark times of the late 80's.  Witnessing most of my own vintage toys selling at garage sales or being given to my little brother to destroy.  Sprouting some leaves when the Zahn trilogy books were released and I happened to buy them all one weekend at the mall and by the end of the weekend had read them all.  The fandom hit new heights when I got my college roomies to watch the OT on VHS in order a few times each year.  

Miracle Grow was added to the mix in 1995 when one of my first boyhood obsessions was returned to the market after being on hiatus for 20 years.  Star Wars Guys were back and I went bonkers.  The Shadow of the Empire and Special Editions kept the thing alive through the dark days of college.  Loads of dispendable cash and more and more toys and the ability to surf the web for Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars cemented the love of the franchise forever.  

About this time it was announced the Lucas was revisiting the Saga and was bringing it back to the big screen.  The Special Editions were such a big hit and the technology was there that he was able to bring the Prequels to life.  Endless speculation and countless new friends joined in the orgasmic nature all leading up to a hype filled Spring of 1999.  Nothing will ever replecate that time.  It was Star Wars every single place I went.  The movie is and was what it was.  I stood in line to buy tickets and to see it, I had a blast!

Meeting many of the people here over the next three years between Menace and Clones is the highlight of that time period in my personal SW Fandom.  Nervous anticipation and joy was also rampant during that time.  I can remember the explosion of the CSW/RS forums of the time, many, many new people to share in the joy of the hobby and universe.  My first son was born a few weeks before Clones came out.  I remember waking up dead tired the day of the Merchandise release and loading up my cart with toys.  I played hooky to watch the movie.   The clearest thing I remember going "oh yeah" about was the Sonic Charge from the Slave 1.

It was a blast...and then I joined the staff of JediChris.  Chris asked me to help him out with the site.  With a little reservation and trepedation I took on said task.  Not full fledged at first but Chris kept adding the right people to the mix as old staff members left.  Brad and Thomas and Chris and I have been here for pretty much all of the time between Clones and Episode III.  When JediDefender opened, I had Chris get Matt on board and it was at that point it all took off.  Thanks to a bunch of invitations and new staff positions the site has grown from a blip on the radar to what it is today.

I myself was able to break two major scoops on the movie this time.  Thanks to Thomas Hodges, Chris and I were able to bring a slew of the first spoiler images of Episode III last spring.  Almost getting the site shutdown by LucasFilm was a high honor.  The next was unveiling the Episode III marketing and packaging (mousepads and bedsheets!) images last year right before Comic Con.  We had those images for quite a long time but were asked to hold them by the person who gave them to us for a while.  So we did...and we almost got scooped by Hasbro themselves two days later but it was cool to be there to break that news.

I was thinking the other day about my old friends Mike and Wayne and what they'll be doing next week.  If they'll be going to a Midnight show where ever they are.  Or if Eric or if Shane or if Don or if Chris and Nick or if Matt or if all of the crazy people I have met on-line who have been touched by a series of movies as much as we all have been, will be going out next week to see it all happen.  I think about my friend Nathan who was killed three years ago and was part of my college watching screenings and how he won't be going.  I think about my own brush with death a few weeks ago and how I might not be going.  I think about my life and my wife and my two boys who each in their own ways have to deal with this obsession (thanks guys!)

How did Anakin Skywalker turn in to Darth Vader?  Its something I've wondered ever since that day in my backyard.  So, I just want to pass along lots of fun times and fond memories.  Its something I've spent thousands of dollars on.  Its something I've spent thousands of hours on. Its something that has been a part of my life for more than 25 years and one major chapter is coming to a close.  So, enjoy it all my friends.  Drink it all in. From all of the reviews this is our movie.  Its a time to share in the love of the thing that has brought all of us together.  Thanks for sharing your passion with me as it all adds to what we are here and it is why at the end of the day even though I have only met a handful of you, I consider you all to be my friends.

Enjoy every minute of these next few days, they are ours!

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Enjoy The Next Few Days
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 12:23 AM »
Enjoy every minute of these next few days, they are ours!
And no one can take them away from us.

Scott,

That was from the heart...I feel all the better for being here with people like you, willing to reach out to the small fan. Thank you for the fond memories here, elswhere, and many more times to come.

To Star Wars... :)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 12:52 AM »
Cheers! :)

I got some of my friends to watch the movies with me in the last week and they have all said they want to come (and they are coming), to the midnight show. :) I was so happy when they said that. This next week is going to be so tough, I can't wait! ;D
"This is the way."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 02:19 AM »
Man, what a great post.

Cheers!  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 02:55 AM »
the end of the road is upon us, though it may live on in books, comics, or new tv shows, the final new theatrical release is only 9 days away and this time it's for real. but unlike 22 years ago, as scott so eloquently put it, we are not alone....
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 03:24 AM »
May the force be with all of you.   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 03:39 AM »
I have 2 fond memories of Star Wars films as a kid...  Seeing The Empire Strikes Back at the Ford City Drive-In (someone with bookoo $$$'s front yard now), and seeing ROTJ at Cinema 3 that still is on the hill here... 

The SE's recaptured that for me, but as an adult I appreciated the night out with my friends that accompanied the films...  I'm so hyped for this film, I can't stand it. 

This year, VIP tickets at the biggest theater in Pittsburgh...  Night out with collecting buddies...  It's as good as it gets for me.  Even my gf's kids are hooked right now, and I'm gonna take her two sons and their buddy Austin to see it soon after it is out...  My first experience at making new SW fans I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 07:06 AM »
 Thanks for sharing your passion with me as it all adds to what we are here and it is why at the end of the day even though I have only met a handful of you, I consider you all to be my friends.

I couldn't have put it any better Scott.  Thanks for the memories!!
Beth

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 08:37 AM »
Yes, that was very well put Scott.  It is bittersweet  the end of this series.  We finally get to see Anakin become Vader but it's the end of the theatrical run.  This is probably last really big Star Wars moment for us and the general public.  I have enjoyed seeing Star Wars all over grocery food products once again and on the news etc.  Or overhearing Star Wars conversations from non fans/co-workers.  It's that last "buzz" that I am loving right now. 

It's sad because once the movie is out a few weeks it will all sort of die down.  Not for the fans but overall.  Most likely a lot of people will end up leaving message boards like this a little bit at a time.  It's like everything reaches a fever pitch and then dies off.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 11:26 AM »
In 1977, when I was a very small child, my mother took me to see the original "Star Wars." 

In 1980, when I was still very young, my mother took me to see "The Empire Strikes Back."

In 1983, when I was a little older but still young, my mother took me to see "Return of the Jedi."

In 1999, when both my mother and I were both older, I took her to see "The Phantom Menace."

In 2002, when my mother and I were both older and she was starting to feel the effects of her age, I took her to see "Attack of the Clones."

Next Thursday, despite physical, emotional, and spiritual problems that affect the both of us, I will be taking my mother to see "Revenge of the Sith."

That's what I'm looking forward to.   :'(

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 11:55 AM »
These are the Glory Days of the online "Collecting Republic" to say the least. I'll never forget yesterday, when there was this little kid, maybe 5, and I say maybe, because he was about knee high on a grasshopper, in the shopping cart asking for Vader and Yoda, and a Stormtrooper off the pegs. I talked to his mom for a few minutes, and he has been obsessed with StarWars for forever. I then rounded the corner to see a handfull of kids picking and playing with the Darth Vader helmets on the pallet in the middle of the store, speculating just who Darth Vader is, and talking about Obi-Wan and Anakin. This is really our time.

This has definatley been a great year (hell,since '98 I've been geeked.), with meeting you folks at Celebration 3, the trailers, the toys (especialy the toys), and the over all feel. Plus with my Birthday on the 13th, only 6 days from the movie, immagine what the presents will be like! :o

It is indeed our time, Scott.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 03:21 PM »
Great post Scott.  I was thinking about this last weekend as well.  This, as far as what we know and Lucas has said, will be the last time we can ever look forward to and anticipate a "new" Star Wars movie coming to the big screen.  Sure, there might be re-releases, special editions, 3-D versions, and television shows in the future...and that is great too....but nothing is the same as going into a theatre to see an all-new Star Wars movie.  From what we've been hearing about this next installment, this really is our movie, and what many people have been waiting to/hoping to see.  I remember how excited I was when I first heard that there were going to be the prequels, and that feeling of going back to the theatre to see the new ones.  It almost doesn't seem real when that opening scroll starts, as you have been anticipating it for a year or more prior to that, and the time has finally come.  I think that feeling will be even stronger this time around with the knowledge going in that this is THE last one.  That's it.  It has been one heck of a ride, and although it is definitely sad to see this part of the Star Wars universe come to an end (the movies), it is exciting at the same time.  It has been a pleasure to share and discuss all things Star Wars (and everything else) here with all of you, and it will be interesting as we look to the future without a new movie to talk about and look forward to.

All in all, you are right Scott.  We should enjoy this time, enjoy the anticipation, because it will likely be the last time we can.  My first Star Wars "theatre" experience was seeing Return of the Jedi with my dad and some friends when I was almost 6 years old.  I remember sitting in the front row (something I would complain about now as an adult, but as a kid it seemed like the place to sit).  Jabba seemed so huge to me, and a little bit scary at the time.  At that time, Ewoks were cool :P, Han and Chewie were the coolest, and Luke as a Jedi in black was the best we had seen him.  I can remember each of the prequels as well, being so pumped going into and coming out of the theatre after each one.  I don't think I've looked forward to any of the prequels as much as this one, and that is probably because from what we understand ROTS has the most OT type connections, and gets closer to the time frame that I grew up with in the original movies.  I look forward to seeing it several times, starting with opening day (May 19) with the Mrs.  We've gone to each of the movies together (Special Editions for the OT ones), and it will be a nice way to cap off the Saga.  No matter what your opinions are on the previous two prequels, I hope this final movie is an amazing experience for everyone that sees it, and it is a great time to be a Star Wars fan right now.  Just a little over a week to go!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 04:04 PM »
Scott, that was one of the most heartfelt posts I've seen since I've been online. Thanks for sharing the memories, man, and I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I have a friend who died before AOTC, and it was hard then as it's hard this time. If you need anyone to talk to, don't hesitate to PM me.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 04:59 PM »
Yep - awesome post.  I think that what you said really captures how we all feel, and nobody could have said it better... except one thing to add - this might be the last time to truly feel like a kid in the movies for the rest of your life!  Enjoy this all summer guys!

:P

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 08:29 PM »
All I can say is that until I'm sitting in the theater on may 19th, my stomach is going to be fluttering. Not only am I excited to see the movie, but I'm excited to enjoy the experience one last time with my friends with whom I saw episodes one and two.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."