Author Topic: Jedi After Episode 3?  (Read 8271 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Jedi After Episode 3?
« on: May 10, 2005, 03:52 AM »
This is partly hypothetical, and there's partly some roots in EU here as well, but it's a question I've wondered since E3's been rolling around now and we know the inevitables that come of that film.

So my thought is, do any Jedi besides Obi-Wan and Yoda live in hiding on into the years of the Empire?

The films most likely imply nothing of the sort happening, but at least one instance in EU claims at least ONE Jedi lives on through the days of the Empire, likely in hiding, and even past ROTJ.

His name is Qu Rahn...  Just a bald human with a goatee, who is executed by the Dark Jedi Jerec in the Dark Forces storyline (In the game Jedi Knight).  He's a friend, and possibly was being hidden by, Kyle Katarn's father Morgan...  Anyway, the story there, whcih I personally love, has made me wonder what others have thought of Jedi escaping and going into hiding.

it seems that the Jedi are all over the galaxy...  It's likely that SOME are alone, and woudl be able to escape...  That's how I see it anyway.  I'm not sure if other stories exist of Jedi escaping and going into hiding other than Rahn...  Anyone know?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi After Episode 3?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 09:44 AM »

So my thought is, do any Jedi besides Obi-Wan and Yoda live in hiding on into the years of the Empire?

(snip)

it seems that the Jedi are all over the galaxy...  It's likely that SOME are alone, and woudl be able to escape...  That's how I see it anyway.  I'm not sure if other stories exist of Jedi escaping and going into hiding other than Rahn...  Anyone know?

One would assume that others besides Obi Wan and Yoda escape.  They did (spoilers)
change the Jedi beacon from "come home" to "run and hide".
  (end spoilers)

I know of two right off the top of my head that survived past ROTS - Brand and the Dark Woman.  Brand was the fat floating Jedi with no legs in Dark Empire.  He was a padawan to Yaddle.  It might even be explained in DE where and how he went into exile, but it's been awhile since I've read DE. 

The Dark Woman was the master of Aurra Sing.  She was eventually tracked down and killed by Vader just prior to ANH in an issue of SW Tales (might even be the first one).

I don't believe all Jedi were generals and leading clones when (spoilers)
Order 66
(end spoilers) was given.  Some may have just wondering about the galaxy, learning and what not. (Although with a full scale war happening, those would be few and far between)  I would think that most of those survived.

Edited for spoilers
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 03:49 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 07:10 PM »
I think Master Zao (from REPUBLIC) goes into hiding. He had quit the war effort after becoming disillusioned with the whole thing.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 08:22 PM »
I could see Jedi doing things OTHER than warring too...  Checking up on potential military fronts and whatnot...  investigating losses or "situations of interest".  There's a lotta Jedi but they dont' need to all be leading armies of course.

I liked the Rahn story, though little seems known about it.  Sad he gets offed like he does, by who he gets offed by, after surviving so long through even the Emperor's death...  It's like running the marathon think you're in first, only to find out someone was just out of your vision.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 09:51 PM »
It's entirely possible that there are more Jedi out there...but they've been scattered and don't really have a way to regroup after whatever happens in ROTS.

I just remember what Ben said in ANH, "Now the Jedi are all but extinct."  Which could mean that there's just Yoda, Obi-Wan, Luke and Leia.  Or depending on your point of view, there are others out there scattered throughout the Galaxy.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 10:50 PM »
I'm not a big EU guy, so I go by what exists in the movies, and I'll probably extend what I consider cannon (oh god, shoot me, I said "cannon") to include the TV series. So my opinions are based on that view of the SW universe.  :)

Spoilers, Highlight:
From the latest word on ROTS, at least Shaak Ti survives, or so it's implied as she eluded her original death by Grievous and her (filmed) death by Vaderkin. I'm sure that the beacon reversal is to provide some wiggle room for some Jedi to live through the TV series.
It could make for some interesting stories to chronicle their survival through the years between ROTS and ANH.

But I agree with Matt, and still consider all Jedi to be deceased by the OT, as described in the movies.

EDIT:
Hey Jared,  I just edited your spoiler text, if that's ok...  Didn't want to piss someone off since it's in the non-spoiler area...  Don't hate me! :P

Edit:
Proper highlighting box fixed.  :-*
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 03:28 PM by DSJ™ »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 01:19 AM »
Canon is what Canon does and stuff...  I agree.  I'm just speaking hypothetically here, since the Jedi Knight storyline appeals to me... 

The only thing that I see that doesn't jive with Jedi surviving is their apparant lack of effort to help the Alliance...  Besides Ben's name being on some "911 list" for Leia, it seems odd that Jedi in seclusion/hiding wouldn't try fighting somehow...  Then again they seemed to not be terribly interested in galacitc politics, and if they're scattered without communication perhaps some feel it's best to just walk away from the situation and fade into obscurity...  Disillusionment with war, especially after basically losing, would seem a possible reason they'd not really want to fight on.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 08:45 PM »
The Dark Woman is another Jedi who goes into hiding.  Her fate is covered in an issue of STAR WARS TALES.  Darth Vader hunts her down and kills her in one issue.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Could y'all refrain from posting spoilers in here....that little highlight trick isn't working at all.  ::)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 03:29 PM »
Could y'all refrain from posting spoilers in here....that little highlight trick isn't working at all.  ::)

Works now.  ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Works now.  ;)

Clever.  Never thought of that before.  Nice to see we can finally use some hidden text here, since we could never figure out how to do that before...  8)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Yeah.  :-*

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 06:46 PM »
I thought it was good...  I couldn't read it on my screen, though I could vaguely see writing....  That works though I guess.  Gotta remember that.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 08:09 PM »
Thanks y'all...from tose of us that are avoiding the spoilers.

Only 6 more days to worry about it!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 09:29 PM »
I'm hoping the ROTS Comic

Spoilers:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Was wrong about Quinaln Vos...It would be a shame to waste a great character on such a scene.