Author Topic: What's in that "secret" display?  (Read 9014 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: C3 Hasbro Q & A
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 05:50 PM »
The more I think about it, the more the "slim to none" comment angers me.  Obi-Wan delivering Luke will become an iconic inage within the series, and ties the two trilogies together.  If Hasbro doesn't make the babies in some form, I will be really put off.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 06:03 PM »
A few years back (actually when it was still "Kenner" making the POTF2 figures), I came up with this idea for the "Star Wars Random Response Generator" to send to these conventions so that way, Hasbro could save money and not send three reps to these shows that would do the same thing that the machine did.

Here are the responses I had that it could spit out (and sadly, these responses are pretty much still what they give out today):

1.  "We are aware of the demand for such an item and the possibility exists in the future."

2.  "We are aware that not everyone was able to easily locate this item, and we are looking at ways to reincorporate it into the line for the future."

3.  "There are no plans for such an item at this time."

4.  "We are always looking for exciting new ways to offer unique items under the Star Wars brand."

5.  "We feel that there is insufficient demand for such an item at an affordable price point at this time."

And, I guess, now we can add...

6.  "We have many exciting things planned for 2006, but we cannot tell them to you right now."

7.  "We know there is a great demand for these items but the focus is on the new film right now."

8.  "When you take into account the costs associated with such a large ticket item, it would depend on a retailer taking it on as an exclusive item and placing a sufficient order."

The thing that gets me is that NOBODY at these little Q&A things ask the questions people really want to know, or even call Hasbro on the fact that they are making TOYS and are not responsible for national security with all their cryptic "we can't tell you or we'd have to kill you" 007 bull****.  They're so used to people kissing their asses that when someone (as in the JD staff at San Diego last fall, and these guys were the first ones I'd ever seen call Hasbro out publically, and thanks again to the staff here for that) does actually ask them a tough question that they can't answer with one of their above stock responses, they get flustered and show that they don't have the slightest idea of professionalism and fan relations.

Keep in mind that (although it was under another regime) this is the same company that once angrily responded to an inquiry at a convention, "WE DON'T CARE WHAT COLLECTORS THINK!"

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 06:13 PM »
DoctorPadawan,

Well written, especially the 007 piece.  Are you a real doctor?

DBK

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 06:17 PM »
I must have missed the Obi-Wan Luke Question. I really hope they release the twins. It is vital that they do. I will be pretty upset if they neglect them.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 11:21 PM »
Are you a real doctor?

No, not yet.  But I'm working on it.  (Seriously). :)

EDIT:  I figure you Indy guys are out partying it up right now, but if someone on the staff at JD gets the chance to talk to someone from Hasbro, ask them how they can make snide comments about "these are action figures" on their website that more or less insult collectors and then turn around and market a five pack of cases for carded figures at Target?

You can't have it both ways, guys.  :P

« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 11:28 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 11:34 PM »

EDIT:  I figure you Indy guys are out partying it up right now, but if someone on the staff at JD gets the chance to talk to someone from Hasbro, ask them how they can make snide comments about "these are action figures" on their website that more or less insult collectors and then turn around and market a five pack of cases for carded figures at Target?

I'd like Jared to have an opportunity to discuss the "these are action figures" line with Hasbro. He's done a good job of showing how lame their tag lines are around here.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

SilverZ

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2005, 02:17 AM »
Much drinking has happened, and shall continue to happen as the evening progresses.

Quite a few of us were at the Q&A, and while I haven't had a chance to read some of the other summaries, the impression I was left with wasn't necessarily negative or that Hasbro was unresponsive, but rather that they were standing firmly by their marketing-driven objectives, talked about product that was currently shipping, or would soon be shipping. It wasn't much of a surprise to hear the recurring themes of "Vader, exciting new Revenge of the Sith characters, and fun for kids and collectors alike." They want to talk about what they are selling right now, and that's really about it. Their presentation was essentially Hasbro's Revenge of the Sith 2005 lineup.

The presentation was a Powerpoint slideshow that they spoke to with polish that I imagine came from giving the exact same pitch to Walmart, Target, and Toys R Us buyers over the previous months.

We'll get a summary up hopefully soon, and we took shots of the panel and the ppt deck.

Personally, I had the feeling that they do in fact have their eyes on doing items like the AT-TE, but can't find retail distribution to make it happen. They just seemed to dance around that fact on basically every item, which is what everyone is frustrated by.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2005, 10:32 AM »
Are you a real doctor?

No, not yet.  But I'm working on it.  (Seriously). :)

Me too  ;D

Anyway...back to the issue. I didn't get that Hasbro was being difficult either. I think they have some stuff planned, its just a matter of getting retailers to agree with them. I really felt this with the issue of the Cloud Car.

This is some awesome news too "Will there be a final U-shaped piece of the Cantina bar? The release of this section of the bar is dependant on finding the right timing and retail partner. (JediDefender.com has learned that not only is the U section planned, but the center distillery is in development and looking for a retail home)."

I hope someone picks that up.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:32 AM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2005, 08:12 PM »
I think I had some kind of brainfart because I completely missed the Q&A. *smacks head on keyboard* Sounds like a didn't miss a lot though. However I am heartened by the possibility of more Clone Wars toys, perhaps even non-animated ones if Hasbro takes the audience reaction into consideration.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2005, 08:20 PM »
This is some awesome news too "Will there be a final U-shaped piece of the Cantina bar? The release of this section of the bar is dependant on finding the right timing and retail partner. (JediDefender.com has learned that not only is the U section planned, but the center distillery is in development and looking for a retail home)."

I hope someone picks that up.

Oh crap, that's awesome. Guess I'm going to need more bar pieces. I skipped set 2, and I guess the distillery would be long enough to require all the pieces...

Is there a definite answer on wether the 4 figs from the EB set will be available at retail after EB orders are filled?

What was in the "mystery kiosk"???
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 08:22 PM by Ook »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2005, 08:37 PM »
What was in the "mystery kiosk"???

Evolutions, 5-fig battlepacks, and 500th Vader.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Hasbro reps must work for the government.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005, 06:02 PM »
Hey!  I work for the government and the only time I give non-commital type answers if if someone asks me something that's Top Secret!

I agree that Hasblo's answers were not what anyone really wanted to hear, and they're the same answers they always give.  Why are you guys suprised by some of these answers?

Did you really think they'd do figures like the Tonnika sisters when they're geared up for making mainly ROTS items?  I'm guessing they'd save something like this for a year or so from now when all the ROTS hype has died down.

They may not have plans for a baby luke and leia, but it took a while for them to finally make a Jedi Council set too.  Granted a few of those sets were pure crap, but the first two were pretty cool.

With the possible exception of the ARC-170, they haven't made any large vehicles as of yet for the ROTS line.  The AT-AT was a very popular item in both the Vintage and the POTF2 lines, I don't see why an AT-TE isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

Have a little hope that they'll make some great stuff down the road, even if it isn't currently being made...of course I am a "glass is half-full" kind of guy.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2005, 06:05 PM »
If they don't do the twins in some form, I will quit.  With all the exclusive crap (no C3 Vader for me) and headaches with keeping up, they make it very easy for a lifelong SW fan to walk away.  "They're action figures not stand there and look at them figures?"  How about "They're just toys, people.  Not state secrets."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2005, 06:14 PM »
If they don't do the twins in some form, I will quit.  With all the exclusive crap (no C3 Vader for me) and headaches with keeping up, they make it very easy for a lifelong SW fan to walk away.  "They're action figures not stand there and look at them figures?"  How about "They're just toys, people.  Not state secrets."

What I found so incredibly funny is that yet again at a Hasbro QnA attended almost exclusively by 30+ year old dudes was the "OK, we make these for KIDS" BS line they constantly throw out at us.  They once again made it a point that KIDS are #1 on their list...

THEN, they go and realease Collector Cases at Target

"So it turns out that the single greatest enemy to the Republic and the very future of the galaxy isn't the Sith. It's dust. The solution? Collector cases - only available at Target.

Protect your Star Wars collection from the elements with this five-pack of collector cases that perfectly encapsulate your Revenge of the Sith 3 ¾ action figures. Each of these durable containers is specially made for displaying your collection on shelves, stands or even your walls."

I can't wait to see the first Kid running down the aisle of Target going "mommy, mommy, can I buy this pack of 5 plastic cases!"   ::)

Maybe because they are Target exclusive means that Target actually gets the fact that only the collectors are spending the big $$ on this crap...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender