Author Topic: Does Army Building make me a bad person?  (Read 13602 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Does Army Building make me a bad person?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 05:53 PM »
The only guilty party for you having 3 red guards is Hasbro.  You should have more if you want more.  This figure should have been produced and shipped in abundance.

:P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 08:44 PM »
No doubt about that. I heard the big H considers it a 'chase' piece. I hate that word.

I'll gamble they show up in better numbers later. At least I hope so.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 08:50 PM »
I don't think army building makes anyone a bad person.  I'm an army builder, and I can empathize with the sentiment.  As long as you're leaving something behind (provided there's more than 1 or 2 of a given figure), then I think army building is fine.  When someone goes into a store and buys EVERY army builder and it's just an unreasonable number of figures relative to what's in stock in that store, then I think that coule be considered hoarding.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 09:07 PM »
I let the clones sit on the pegs till today. No one bit, so I just picked up 5 more. Sad for them.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 01:35 AM »
I agree with the current sentiments so far.  I started army-building this past summer and have picked up lots of ep. II clones off of e-Pay for pretty cheap.  I've been building a ROTS Clone Army, but I always try to buy 1 or 2 figures at a time and leave the rest for my fellow collectors (or I'll pick up some extras for 1:1 or at-cost trades).  I think that army-building is good for the hobby because it encourages Hasbro to make exclusives such as the Entertainment Earth Army Builder sets (which I think was an excellent idea and should be done again with ROTS Clones.) 
Basically, as long as you're not scalping and are willing to "share the wealth" with fellow collectors, I say buy as many as you want/can because it all evens out in the end ;D
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Aaron_D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 04:25 AM »
I guess it all depends on who you ask this question to really.  I've seen big fights break out other places over this issue, so it's refreshing to see such a high level of civility and tolerance here in this discussion so far.  I agree with most of the comments made in this thread too.  I think just using some common sense on what seems fair to take off the pegs works best.  Consider the other collector's needs in your area, and how new and/or abundant a particular army building figure is, before deciding how many you'll be buying on any given trip.

I also agree that this shouldn't even be an issue in the first place, if Hasbro just played it's cards right, and made enough army builders to satiate demand.  There's so much money to be made with these types of figures, yet no matter what, it seems that there's never nearly enough to fill the demand, and that's just not good business sense if you ask me.  Top army builders should get shipped in solid cases for a while, so the army builders to buy to their heart's content, and all the rest of the collectors and kids can buy the one or two that they want also.  No reason that shouldn't be a manageable strategy.

I'd also strongly suggest not using army building figures as limited exclusives, like the Target Clone, because that's just always going to lead to problems.  Hasbro should just go back to putting out those white mailer boxes with 4 figures in each one, and everything would be fine.  Why is that so hard to do now?

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 07:22 AM »
The Red Guard is showing up more and more in my area.  There are few Blue Guards (3) that have been sitting for weeks.  K-Mart has had Red Guards sitting for a week.  I am seeing these figs in the same numbers, so I dont think the Red is a chase. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2005, 10:37 AM »
I still haven't seen a single red guard in stores since the week of 4/2-4/9

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2005, 11:15 AM »
Well, Clone Commanders and Pilots have officially become peg warmers in my area. ???  I can understand with Pilot since the head sculpt sucks IMO but the Commander is one of the best from the line.  To date, I have only seen 1 AT-TE Tank Gunner on the pegs.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 12:20 PM »
They are both pegwarmers in my area too.  Everytime i see a few commanders I want to rescue them :'( but I already have 10 and I have to wait for the bunch of figures hitting in june.

You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2005, 12:49 PM »
I don't think it makes you bad.  However, if there is someone in the aisle that only wants one clonetrooper.  You have 25 in your arms it might be nice to spare one of them for the poor person.  You know what I mean?  I mean you have 25.  He has zilch.  LOL! 

I agree with this too - and unless it's someone who I know is NOT a SW collector

How do you determine who is and who is not a Star Wars collector?  :-\

I'm just wondering how often you've actually turned someone down because you somehow knew they weren't a collector. Army building doesn't make you a bad person, but not sharing with someone you bumped into in the aisle because you don't think they're real collectors, well that's a different story...

I don't think army building makes anyone a bad person.  I'm an army builder, and I can empathize with the sentiment.  As long as you're leaving something behind (provided there's more than 1 or 2 of a given figure), then I think army building is fine.  When someone goes into a store and buys EVERY army builder and it's just an unreasonable number of figures relative to what's in stock in that store, then I think that coule be considered hoarding.

I agree with Nick.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2005, 01:52 PM »
How do you determine who is and who is not a Star Wars collector?  :-\ 

I'm just wondering how often you've actually turned someone down because you somehow knew they weren't a collector.

I've turned down people in the aisles who have asked for 1-2 of my Army Builders because I knew they were NOT a "real" collector. 

I "somehow knew they weren't a collector", because I've been to the comic/hobby shop that they owned and seen where those figures would have ended up.   :P

Granted, it probably isn't cool to hoarde if someone else is right there and is interested in the figures, but when it's a person you KNOW is one of the local scalpers, I don't have a problem with stiffing them.  ;)

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2005, 06:46 PM »
What are your guys limits? I concentrate much more on my imperial army which leaves me less room for PT armies, so I have a limit of 10 max of each viable builder. After that, I leave them sit on the pegs.

Who goes all out, who shows restraint?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2005, 07:25 PM »
I kinda put the Clones in the same boat as the Stormtroopers... and by that I mean that I have no control at all. If I see a Clone or a Stormie - I grab it. My Clone army still has some growing to do to catch up with my Stormtrooper army (I'm currently sitting at around 145 - 150 of the Commtech Stormies) but give me some time and I'll be there. I would say that if they didn't change the helmets between Ep 2 & 3, I'd be pretty close. But now I have 2 different Clone armies. That makes me mad  >:(

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2005, 07:48 PM »
What are your guys limits? I concentrate much more on my imperial army which leaves me less room for PT armies, so I have a limit of 10 max of each viable builder. After that, I leave them sit on the pegs.

Who goes all out, who shows restraint?

I keep thinking I'd like to show restraint - but then I keep going "hey, it's only one more".

For the #6 clones I can restrain myself because there's the better SA Clone out there - but so far I haven't really been leaving SA Clones or Gunners on the pegs.  I guess If I started getting into numbers like 100 - I'd try to force myself to quit.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 10:46 AM by Kneel Before Zod »