Author Topic: Music of the Duel or Episode 3 Soundtrack Discussion  (Read 18954 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Music of the Duel or Episode 3 Soundtrack Discussion
« on: November 5, 2004, 05:40 PM »
I'm willing to bet one of my Clone Troopers that they will use Duel of the Fates durring the Duel on that hot hot rock.

What do you folks think?

Kevin
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 04:41 PM by Famine »
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Music of the Duel
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2004, 07:09 PM »
I hope not. Not that it's not a great song, but I'd love to hear what John Williams can come up with for this... I'm guessing it's going to sound a little more evil this time (hopefully) with some of the Imperial March in there.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2004, 07:59 PM »
Doubt it.  We'll get something new for this one.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2004, 10:36 PM »
Its going to be Duel of the Fates...I just have a hunch on that one

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2004, 11:50 PM »
I hope its something different then what we have already heard.  If it has to be something that we already have heard like Duel of the Fates hopefully Williams will change it up a bit.  Hopefully in a few months we will start getting samples of the music (not sure when the soundtrack for AOTC was on the net).

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: November 8, 2004, 06:57 PM »
I wish my memory was better because I have no way to back this up.  ::)

Back in the TPM release days, there was an interview with Lucas (or it was Williams, dammit, I don't know)  about Duel of the Fates and the Phantom Menace music in general, and there was mention of some piece of music Williams wrote that got omitted, with Lucas commenting that it was "too dark, but beautiful" and that he wanted to stash it away from Ep3.

I've always wondered about that comment years ago. Maybe DoctorPadawan remembers?

I'm hoping we'll hear something that shares a lot in common with DotF but an undertone more along the lines of the ROTJ Final Duel chorus.

Offline VadereX

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 8, 2004, 08:12 PM »
I wish my memory was better because I have no way to back this up.  ::)

Back in the TPM release days, there was an interview with Lucas (or it was Williams, dammit, I don't know)  about Duel of the Fates and the Phantom Menace music in general, and there was mention of some piece of music Williams wrote that got omitted, with Lucas commenting that it was "too dark, but beautiful" and that he wanted to stash it away from Ep3.

I've always wondered about that comment years ago. Maybe DoctorPadawan remembers?

I'm hoping we'll hear something that shares a lot in common with DotF but an undertone more along the lines of the ROTJ Final Duel chorus.
Too dark? Sounds pretty good for the movie. I hope it is a dark up-beat song.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2004, 03:04 PM »
I certainly hope it's Duel of the Fates.

I get all tingly...

Kevin

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 9, 2004, 04:39 PM »
I remember an interview with JW at the time of the Ep1 DVD release (in fact it may be on the disc) where he says the Duel Of The Fates theme was something that was always intended to be returned to in Episode 3.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2004, 04:40 PM by Rob L »
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: November 9, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Wasn't that in the Episode I DVD Commentary?

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 9, 2004, 05:01 PM »
Now that you mention it, you might be right…my TPM DVD hasn’t been near a laser for quite some time.

I’ve always thought that DOTF was one of the redeeming features of TPM, so I’d be very happy for it to return.  The light v dark theme of it would fit right in with ROTS I think.  In fact, because the upcoming duel is going to get really personal, it might work even better than TPM, where Darth Maul was a cool creation, but lacked something as a “character”...i.e he was hardly a well developed character like Vader (or Anakin in ROTS).

That made some sense in my head…sorry   ;D

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 9, 2004, 05:24 PM »
 ;D I think I know what I'll be doing tonight, watching TPM, that's for sure.

Kevin

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 9, 2004, 05:48 PM »
Kevin, I've checked the extras disc, and GL talks to JW about reprising the Duel theme in the "Beginning" doc (about 58 mins in)  :)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 9, 2004, 07:26 PM »
Maybe I should get Episode I on DVD then, EH?

I only have it on VHS. :P

Kevin

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 9, 2004, 09:24 PM »

Here I am, the receptacle of all meaningless minutae regarding the molestation of JW's prequel scores.  ;D

I don't remember the exact location of the quote, but I do recall the comment being made by JW that when he first had the LSO play the music from the duel in TPM (which we all know in its concert suite form as DOTF) for Lucas, Lucas told  JW that even though he didn't know it, JW had pretty much just written the music for the end duel in Episode III.  The comment Lucas makes on "The Beginning" or the last TPM webdoc is (and I'm paraphrasing) "you didn't know this, but that leads directly into the end of Episode III."

Ben Burtt was overheard to say "but nooooo....I've got this wonderful sound effect of a turnip farting I was going to use for a volcanic eruption and it is infinitely more important to the emotional impact of the scene than music!  The whole world is sitting on the edge of their seats because of my sound design in the duel!  Maybe we can just let the screen go black since I am the most important and memorable thing about Star Wars!  Can't we just track music (badly) from somewhere else instead?  Hey George, look at me, look what I can do!  Look how important I am!  WAAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

Uh, yeah...before I went on my tangent there, I do hope that DOTF is used *sparingly* and that JW is allowed to just go wild with the score and include every thematic element related to Obi-Wan, Anakin, Vader, Sidious, the Jedi Knights, the Sith, the love theme, and Luke and Leia's themes as a way of tying everything up musically, not unlike the way AOTC ends with the major players' themes being repeated in succession, but in a totally new way.  This is the climactic moment of the entire prequel trilogy and the moment we have been waiting for from a story standpoint since we found out the prequels would become a reality (or since we first read that little comment in the novelizations for the OT way back when about the lava duel), and I think that certain egos should step back and allow the scene and the emotion to bear the true importance of the scene.  If it isn't scored by choice, so be it.  If it is scored by choice, let JW do his thing.  I just hope we don't wind up with a AOTC reel 6 cluster**** again.

But of course it will end up being tracked music from TPM so we can hear the turnip farts, and so we can be treated to more ten minute explanations of the turnip farts on the DVD commentary when you really want to hear Lucas explain why Greedo shoots first now.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 9, 2004, 09:28 PM by DoctorPadawan »