Author Topic: Gregorbian's Customs - UPDATE 07/04/06  (Read 65290 times)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Gregorbian's Customs - UPDATE 07/04/06
« on: May 13, 2005, 02:11 AM »
Hey guys, you've got a really great customs community here.  I hope I can contribute!

Here are a few of mine (I have to retake several of the pictures, but I'll post the "clearer" pictures for now) :-\
I hope you like 'em, I'm always open for suggestions/comments/questions, so let 'er rip! ;D

Commander Cody:

Commander Bly:

Commander "Gorb":  ;)

Commander Gorb's Squad:

Custom 12" Green Clone Trooper:

SA Tarfful (Tarfful: 1  Commander Bly: 0):

General Grievous' Bodyguard w/articulated knees:

Gand Jedi:

ARC Trooper (I'm going to repaint his kama black):

General Kenobi:

General Kenobi 2:

General Kenobi 3:

« Last Edit: July 4, 2006, 04:31 PM by Gregorbian »
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 02:13 AM »
Downed Gunship Diorama:
I made this out of foamcore, it's close enough to 1:1 scale, but I took a lot of liberties and it doesn't have as much detail as the real gunship.

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 02:49 AM »
Great looking customs especailly lie obi was in trooper armour well done mate.

Ron

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 03:19 AM »
First of all, Gregorbian, welcome! Great to have you here. Actually, it's been quite a week for newbies; it's exciting seeing more people join the site.

Let me see...I'll try to go figure by figure...

COMMANDER CODY

Good paint and weathering; the visor is one of the best I've seen on this custom. The only constructive criticism I have here is that his shoulder comm could be a little better, and he's missing the rank badge on his chest, and the armband on his right arm. I know reference on Cody has been spotty though, so you may not have even seen those.

COMMANDER BLY

Very nice, and very brave of you to do Bly "clean." This looks really good, the yellow is perfect, I think (what brand/color did you use?) with good clean lines for the most part. The yellow on the chest is a little crooked, though...I'd clean it up with an exacto. Then this one will be perfect.

COMMANDER GORB

Needs a removable helmet with your head underneath. 'Nuff said.  ;)

COMMANDER GORB's SQUAD

Very nice, and again, very brave of you to do them clean. These look flawless...I especially like the one that looks like a communications officer.

12' CLONE TROOPER

Very nice paint job. Looks flawless.

SA TARFUL

I wish the pics from this point on were a little less blurry; but the custom is a nice use of the Preview Wookiee Warrior. I wouldn't make it Tarful though...for one, the He-Man bandolier isn't accurate...you might consider making this a new Wook and just adding the Wookiee Warriors lower legs to Hasbro's Tarful. A little boiling and they pop right in. A good custom, though.

MAGNA DROID WITH ARTICULATED KNEES

Very nice. Why Hasbro didn't give this figure better articulation is beyond me. I've been planning on doing this one myself.

GAND JEDI

Simple, but effective. The Bust-ups are great for spare parts, aren't they? Did you retain the wrist articulation when you added the Zuckuss hands?

ARC COmmander

Another simple but effective custom. Can't wait to see it with the black kama. Are you going to paint the trim red like on the cartoon?

GENERAL KENOBI IN CLONE ARMOR

Very nice. I can't wait to do one of these myself. Did you retain the head articulation, or if it glued in place? Either way, it looks great. Didn't Obi-Wan have the longer hair (ala AOTC) when he wore this armor, though?

Overall, a very nice group of customs. Can't wait to see more!

-DD
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 03:08 PM by Darth Delicious »
Back from the dead!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 10:49 AM »
I can't say how happy that I am to see you here Greg!

I really like what you did to the Magna Guard.  You used Stikfas parts to add articulation, correct?  Got a tutorial or anything?

The downed Gunship is such a great idea.  I seem to remember someone making a downed AT-TE too.  Really great thinking and creative.

Your Obi Wan also looks perfect.  What material did you use for his robes?

:P

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 11:15 AM »
Very nice work, Greg - and welcome to JediDefender! I really like Commander Cody and especially Commander Gorb and his squad.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and the comments!  ;D
I really appreciate the constructive criticisms Darth Delicious, thanks for those!
For Commander Cody - I didn't notice that armband or the rank badge until you mentioned it, so I guess I have to touch up the figure a bit.  I was going to sand down the shoulder antennae to make it more accurate, but so far I haven't found a really good reference pic other than what other people have done on eBay and such.

I will definitely clean up the Commander Bly chest paint, I forgot about until you mentioned it :-[

For the paints, I use Games Workshop brand paint (www.gamesworkshop.com).  These guys make the LOTR miniatures game as well as Warhammer miniatures.  Their paints are excellent quality and mix very well.  To get Commander Bly's paints, I mixed some Sunburst Yellow with a touch of Blood Red.  It seemed to be the closest that I could match it to the reference pics.

I am going to retake a lot of my customs pics because most of them were taken with a cheap digital camera that I got for free (with digital cameras, free = garbage).  I made the Tarfful out of pure rage because I hated that he didn't have the Sneak Preview Wookie Warrior level of articulation.  I just threw the He-Man armor on so he wasn't "naked"  :P

The General Grievous Bodyguard's knees were indeed Stikfas ball-joints.  I used the upper-arm piece and it was fairly simple.  I cut out the knee portions of the figure, took the upper-arm stikfas piece and cut it in half.  Then I sanded it down with my dremel until it looked like it would look good for a knee.  Then I glued the pieces in place and painted.
I'm going to try the Stikfas ball-joint technique to make a better-articulated General Grievous (I saw one on eBay a few weeks ago that looked really good). 

The Obi-Wan in Clone Armor retained his head articulation (I cut off the neck peg and replaced it with a small screw that I glued in Obi-Wan's head).  If you're going to make one, I recommend using a bootleg ep. II Clonetrooper helmet (I like these helmets because they're a little bigger than the normal Clone Trooper helmets and I think they are a little more accurate in terms of proportions)...

I guess you can tell that I like to keep my clones "clean"  ;)

Again, thanks for your comments and warm welcome!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 11:31 AM by Gregorbian »

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 03:11 PM »
The more I look the more I REALLY like that Gregorbian squad. I may have to add a few of that legion to my Clone ranks.  ;D

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 03:25 PM »
The more I look the more I REALLY like that Gregorbian squad. I may have to add a few of that legion to my Clone ranks.  ;D

-DD
Haha, go for it!  ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 04:29 PM »
My favorite is still the downed Gunship.  Really has a Clone Wars EU feel to it.

:P

Offline Omega Squad Commander

• Jedi Initiate
  • LatinAmerica FanForce PRJO HC * CFAPR Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 02:18 PM »
Why you kill that Clone Pilot? Dawn, I still looking for him. :o

TheForce.net LatinAmerica FanForce Puerto Rico Jedi Outcast High Council Member
Club de Figuras de Acción de Puerto Rico

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 03:27 PM »
That's all neat and high quality stuff. Great job. I want a legion of my own now. :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 03:28 PM »
I really love your legion. Keep up the awsome customs. :D

I might have to try that Manga Droid articulation.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 05:19 PM »
I saw all these at TheJawa a week or so ago and they look great! I love the green squad of clones and the crashed gunship is pretty cool too! The magna guard is a vast improvment, it was a good figure to start with but it really needed some more articulation. I like the clean Bly, but as DD said the line could be straighted a bit and it'd be perfect. I like the Obi-Wan a-lot, though I would have used a different helmet, I have never liked the bootleg helmet, maybe you could use the deluxe AOTC clone helmet?

Anyways very nice work, keep it up! I look forward to more of your stuff!
"This is the way."

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 02:32 PM »
Thanks for all of your comments  ;D
I actually liked the bootleg Clone helmets, I really like that they're just a bit bigger than the normal clone helmets so it looks a little more "natural" in my opinion.  I guess using the deluxe clone helmet would have saved me a little time though   ;)
As for the dead clone pilot ... good riddance!  I am kinda disappointed in the new clone pilots, so I had no problems "killing" him for my dio.  If you still need one, I have an extra, send me a PM.
Here is what I plan to work on this week, although I probably will only get to do one or two....

1) Saesee Tinn in Clone Armor (I was planning on making one, but then I saw Darth Delicious' version and I knew that I had to make one) - Are there any reference pics for this guy in his CW Armor (especially the mask)?
2) Clone Trooper w/Flame Thrower - Been thinking about making this guy for a while, I hope I have time to get to him.
3) Fix up my current ARC Trooper by repainting his kama the proper colors
4) Paint my super-duper battle droids  :P (I have several sets of Xevoz robots that look like some kind of ultra-battle droids if you use the right parts, I just need to give them a new paint job)
5) I bought a Hulk Classics Mecha-Hulk for $5 at KB Toys so I figured I can make some sort of Alpha Battle Droid or something to lead my ultra-battle droids into battle....maybe my first attempt at a photonovel? ;)

Hopefully I'll have time to get to all of these guys this week.  I also wante to make some Pulp Fiction Marvel Legends figures using the Prof. X body (saw this on eBay and it looked cool) ...Too...many...ideas
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 02:33 PM by Gregorbian »