Author Topic: Gregorbian's Customs - UPDATE 07/04/06  (Read 65607 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Gregorbian's Customs - UPDATE 08/18/05
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2005, 11:12 PM »
Heh heh... it still looks great the way you painted it.

You know what I've found recently that I like to do for painting?  Dry spray!  Using black, gray, tan, etc. for a distance, barely letting it hit the surfact of a figure, and then sealing with with an acrylic matte spray.  It's working out really well for me. 

:P

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2005, 11:25 PM »
Is "dry spray" like what you did for the speckled clone or is that something else?  When you dry spray is it a solid (but slightly translucent) coating?  I don't really follow, but it sounds like an interesting technique  ???
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2005, 11:30 PM »
Yeah, it's how I painted the speckled Clone recently, and did the majority of the painting on all three of my droids for this month's customizing challenge.

Also, the recent "beat up" Clone as well as the recent Rykrof Enloe had some dry spraying done too.

No, it's not really a solid coating.  I use a can of spray paint about 2 feet from the figure, and move the can back and forth, so it gently sprays a very light mist onto the figure.  Make sense?

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2005, 11:42 PM »
I getcha, that sounds pretty cool.  I might have to try that if I have some time, I think that method would work well on scenery and stuff as well as figures.

The only problem is that I have to lug anything that I'm spraypainting out of my apartment and spray it in the driveway, so it's a bit of a pain.... 

Offline crazy about Clones

• Youngling
  • I'm the first Star Wars custom ever created.....
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
« Reply #199 on: September 1, 2005, 01:54 PM »
Awesome Jango Gregorbian!!! ;D I kinda like the Jumpsuit being a "flat" color too, but however you do it its still going to be awesome!!!! 8) ;D I hope you can pull off some more customs everyonce in awhile, but as Chewie said, customizing Star Wars figures isn't everything. Btw did u happen to take any pics of your army led by Commander Gorb? Awesome Custom! ;D
"I think the Kanucks of Vancouver are superior Warriors." Teal'c - Stargate SG-

"I like me" Caboose - Red vs Blue

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 1, 2005, 02:14 PM »
Awesome Jango Gregorbian!!! ;D I kinda like the Jumpsuit being a "flat" color too, but however you do it its still going to be awesome!!!! 8) ;D I hope you can pull off some more customs everyonce in awhile, but as Chewie said, customizing Star Wars figures isn't everything. Btw did u happen to take any pics of your army led by Commander Gorb? Awesome Custom! ;D

Thanks crazy!
I'm trying to figure out how to take pics of my clones; I think I might dust off my downed gunship and do a little battle scene like how Dressel Rebel has been doing it. 
If I have any free time, you can bet that I'll be putting that into customs!

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Gregorbian's Customs - UPDATE 09/27/05
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2005, 10:25 PM »
Wow, 3rd page of the Customs section  :'(  :P
I was able to finish up a PT Craft (I need a better name) and a 12" ARC Trooper, although I still have some pouches and stuff to add to my ARC Trooper.

PT Craft:

12" ARC Trooper:

Sorry for the horrible picture quality, I hope you can make out the details  :-\

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Why is that clone trooper dropping pellets on his pilot?   :P

Really though, nice work on the PT craft.  Maybe a windshield would look good on it, and some more "embellishments," like some more aerodynamic panelling on the sides. Is that an AOTC pilot helmet on the ROTS pilot body?  I like it, whatever it is.

Is that 12" clone armor on a Dragon body?

B

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2005, 11:34 PM »
Wow about damn time. ;)

I love that PT craft. It's a very creative little ship. I think a windshield would make sense. I think that clone could use some boot hooks or something to hook him in so he doesn't fall off while he is shooting. That pilot is awesome. I really like the sculpting you did on the helmet. Maybe you could give him a matching gunner, at least color-wise. As for a name what about the Power Stripe Patrol Craft, Red Zone Defender,  Sure Dry Attack Craft, or "the Deodorizer." :P :-*

Nice work on the ARC, I'm not a fan of Hasbro's 12", the sculpts have never impressed me.
"This is the way."

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2005, 11:57 PM »
Wow, I love the craft, do you have any more custom vehicles?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2005, 12:26 AM »
Great update Greg, those look great. The PT craft is cool. I really like the black painted pilot... he looks awesome. The 12" ARC looks awesome too, but you might want to take some pics of him against something other than a black background. I had to look three times before I saw that he was wearing a kama  :P

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2005, 11:32 AM »
Grego, I'm glad that you updated!   :)

The ARC Trooper is nice, but I have no experience in customizing 12" figures...

But the PT craft is really cool.  Something very unique and really creative.  Looks like something you might see some sort of smugglers or terrorists using perhaps rather than an official Republic/Imperial military craft, but it still works.

Well done and it's nice to see you making vehicles like this!

Offline crazy about Clones

• Youngling
  • I'm the first Star Wars custom ever created.....
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2005, 12:22 PM »
Awesome PT craft gregorbian! I see the gun is from the HALO Warthog ;) Awesome use of parts! also might want to make a harness or some kind of chair thing on the back of the gun(or even just cut a little "ditch" out of the craft so he has a place to stand/sit) I also like the 12" ARC Trooper, very cool. Also might want to take some pics of him without the Black background, so we can see his Kama details.

Awesome Job!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 12:24 PM by crazy about Clones »
"I think the Kanucks of Vancouver are superior Warriors." Teal'c - Stargate SG-

"I like me" Caboose - Red vs Blue

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2005, 01:28 PM »
Thanks for the comments everybody!
I felt pretty crappy because I hadn't updated with any new customs in almost a month, so I figured that I would forgo the extra studying and finish up a couple WIPs  ;)

I definitely agree that the black background was a bad idea, I will try to replace the images with the ARC Trooper on a white background today if I get a chance.

The PT Craft (or "Red Zone Defender"  ;)) was based on an image that I saw in an old issue of White Dwarf about 10 years ago.  I figured that a deodorant casing would make for a pretty decent "Star Warsy" ship.  I didn't spend as much time on it as I would have liked to (hence the awkward position of the clone gunner). 

bjardkerr - I put some "green stuff" putty over the open-part of the Clone Pilot body to make the facemask and the "fin" on the top of the helmet.  Then I sprayed him black and repainted him.  Quick and easy use for a pegwarmer  ;)
The 12" ARC Trooper is a BBi (Elite Force) body (basically the same as Dragon) with slightly resized AotC Clone armor.  This was my first attempt at a 12" custom that was not a repaint or a simple body switch.  It was pretty fun but quite different from 3 3/4" customs.  I kind of want to try switching out a bunch of my Imperial troopers (TIE Pilot, AT-AT Driver, Scout Trooper, Snowtrooper, etc) onto the Dragon/BBi bodies, but I don't think I'll tackle many more "customs" like the ARC Trooper.  I want to do a couple more ARCs but I can't sew so my options are very limited in terms of what I can do with 12" figures.  :(

Ryan - I was actually making a corresponding Gunner for the ship (based on the #54 AT-RT Driver figure), but when I sprayed a primer coat on him, it really gunked him up.  I think I screwed up the figure so I might just switch the head onto a Clone body and start over. 

TJ - The only other vehicle that I have done is my "Downed Gunship" (which actually earned my invitation to the JD.com forums!  :P).  I think that's on the first page.

jokabofe - I can't even make out the kama on my computer screen, how did you see that!?  ;) 

CHEWIE - That's interesting about the terrorist/smuggler craft, I never thought about that, but I can definitely see it now that you've mentioned it.  I always envisioned it as a "Warthog" (from Halo) for the Imperial Army, but I can see what you mean...

crazy - You got it!  I used the extra Warthog chain gun that I had and attached it to the Clone Pilot "radar cannon" - it actually attached quite easily.  My original intention was to have the Clone Gunner "sit" on the satchel and then stand up and swing the gun around as needed, but I can see that he might have some "trouble' staying on, especially if they were in combat.  Maybe I can attach some sort of harness to the shoulder rests?

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2005, 01:52 PM »
I would have never tought to use a deodorant package for a toy, but now I see it, you are a genius, it looks great, I did see your downed ship and I really liked the paint job on it.