Author Topic: Academy Awards...  (Read 2216 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Academy Awards...
« on: March 24, 2003, 11:42 PM »
So what did everyone think of last night's Academy Awards show?

Certainly some interesting, funny, and heartwarming moments.  I thought that Steve Martin was a great host.  Very funny, and kept things light, despite the goings on in the world (and protests thereof at the show).

It was great to see Adrien Brody pull the Best Actor award, and give such a heartfelt and appropriate speech.  Not to mention him laying down a fat 15 second smackeroo on Halle Barry!  ;D  I thought that Daniel Day Lewis was an equally worthy nominee for the award though.

Chicago cleaned house, taking home the coveted Best Picture award, Supporting Actress (a very pregnant Catherine Zeta Jones), and several other nods...  We're actually working on an audit for one of their producers in that film which is based on Box Office receipts, so it's nice to see the flick get so much publicity and recognition.  Should make our client a happy fella!

Nicole Kidman and her prosthetic nose won for Best Actress.  Would've preferred Julianne Moore or Diane Lane myself, but Nicole was certainly deserving.

AOTC got shut out, losing it's one (or two?) categories it was nominated in.  LOTR beat it out for one of them, but surprisingly didn't win much else.  I'd have to agree with most folks that Gollum pretty much blows the AOTC Yoda away...

And the highlight of the night was of course when Michael Moorer won for Bowling for Columbine.  Got a huge ovation, to which he responded with the (at some point) expected political statement about the war, at which time most of the cheers turned into resounding boos.

He said something to the effect of:  "We live in fictitious times, with fictitious election results creating a fictitious president, who has lead us into a fictitious war for fictitious reasons."  I would've preferred for a more subtle statement of protest as offered by various other stars in attendance, but oh well...

Not too thrilled about any of the musical numbers in the show, which seemed rather uninspiring to me.  Another highlight was the surprise winner for the Best Song category:  Eminem for "Lose Yourself" from 8 mile.  Barbara Streisand's face just wilted as she had to (annoyingly) announce him as the winner.  Pretty funny!  Too bad he wasn't there to accept the award though.

On a weird side note, one of the performers and Supporting Actress nominees - Queen Latifah - was at the El Pollo Loco fast food place right next to our office this evening!  I live at the base of the hills where a lot of the celebrities live here in L.A., so I see a fair amount of them cruising the neighborhood...   :)

So what was everyone else's thoughts on the show and the winners?

BTW, Zuckass44, I think you owe us some poll results on the matter, don't ya'?!   ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2003, 11:44 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Depmode

• Jedi Initiate
  • Utinni!
    • View Profile
Re: Academy Awards...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 04:08 PM »
due to the fact I was driving 7 hours for work, I was unable to watch them. I got in right at 12, and I flipped on the tv and had MISSED THEM ALL. Oh well.

I knew Chicago would win, but whatever. The Two Towers was a better movie :)

The awards were kinda blah to me this year, as not much was nominated I was excited about besides The Two towers.
James
DepmodeETS@aol.com
AIM: DepmodeETS
My lego collection: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Depmode

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 11:13 AM »
I didn't watch much of the awards when they were on expecting a bunch of stuipid anti war comments (ie No Blood For Oil, No Unjust War, and Bush is Hitler), I don't care if someone says "Lets pray for peace for everyone" or something like that or what Nocile Kidmann had to say, about after 9/11 many people have died and more are going to die.  The only thing I was hopeing for was the fictoianlized documentry "Bowling for Coulmbine"  wouldn't win best documentry since it wasn't a documentry according to the Academy rules.  I was so happy when Moore got booed and then hearing him in the press backroom "Report it right only like five people were booing" or something like that.  
  I was hoping AOTC would win somethings but it didn't and I wish Chicago wouldn't of win for Best Movie.  

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 12:14 PM »
I heard the 75th Academy Awards was the least watched broadcast in history. I was one that passed this year who usually watches most of it. I just didn't care about many of the nominees, although I'm sure they each gave great performances.

Maybe if they had more fistfights or something...
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 10:11 AM »
I too passed on watching most of the show...I did see Chicago though and liked it for the most part.  It was a down year for Hollywood in general

BTW, if Will Ferrell doesn't get a nod for his performance in Old School next year I know for a fact the whole thing is rigged

Offline Zuckuss44

• Youngling
  • Let my hands speak for me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2003, 06:32 PM »
I personally thought that the Oscars were very good this year, especially after the horrible job Whoopi did last year. I wouldn't mind having Steve back again.

And JediMAC, I'll be posting the results in a few minutes. I've been sick for the past week with a horrible flu, and I could barely get up let alone get on my computer(now there's a reason to own a laptop....)

So, just give me a few minutes and I'll bring the original topic back up with the results.....