Author Topic: Hasbro's Continuing Case Assortment Ignorance  (Read 8904 times)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Re: Hasbro's Continuing Case Assortment Ignorance
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 11:14 PM »
I think that DoctorPadawan's point in his initial post (and if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me) was that he was frustrated that after 2 major movie launches as well as 10 years of selling Star Wars figures, Hasbro would have worked out some better case assortments. 
Based on 10 years of sales records and marketing research, I'm sure that that a better balance of mass-market items and "collectible" items could be achieved in their case assortments. 
I think that with the combined resources of the various retail stores and hasbro, people shouldn't have such a hard time picking up the popular figures. 
You also have a couple of artificial factor that's being applied on stock levels at stores.  Those are the speculators/scalpers and the army builders.  Add in fairly zealous collectors who are at the store every morning and you've got a tougher environment for collecting.  Give it time.
Absolutely true.  The hype is certainly something to factor in for an issue like this.  With good and saturated marketing comes increased sales. 
I don't think that people's patience is a problem with these posts.  Personally, I have found all of the figures that I am looking for and have been able to buy multiples of the ones of which I want multiples.  The figures have only been out for 6 weeks, but the fact that several TRU's are still putting out old stock from the April 2nd release date should say something about poor planning. 
I think that topics like these need to be brought up, because it is frustrating to not be able to pick up the good figures that you want and then to see them on eBay for crazy prices, etc etc.  It is a bit early to go into full-on panic mode, obviously, but not everybody can check their local stores during their lunches (like I am able to do) or go to Targets when they open and get first "dibs" on figures.  There are many things that must be factored in, but I think DoctorPadawan brought up a good point with the case assortments.

As for the upcoming clone sets, hopefully they will be put out in abundance, but I'm not going to hold my breath for them...
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 11:28 PM »
Frankly, I don't see a lot of core characters warming the pegs.  When I was looking for the Anakin with Dooku saber variation, I was very surprised to see the LACK of Anakin and Obi-Wan figures on the pegs.  These figures are continuing to ship so that the more casual fans can buy them.  The truth is that it's not all about collectors, but kids really DO factor in.

As for getting the newer figures, you've basically got two routes to go:  persistance or patience.  Persistance demands that you show up at the store at opening and wait until they put out new stock.  In a movie year that could be as many as three times a week.  Where patience factors in is how long are you willing to wait?  Two or three weeks ago people were talking about Clone Commanders and Clone Pilots and how it was tough to get them.  Now you see them on a fairly regular basis.  The same thing goes for Clone Troopers.  They ARE continuing to ship.  I walked into a TRU store last week and saw at least a dozen or more #6 Clone Troopers.  A few days later they were gone.  There's turnover.

What I notice sticking around a little longer are the Collection 2 figures.  They don't move as quickly as the Collection 1 figures.  And you know what?  They don't ship in the same quantities that the Collection 2 figures do.

I think Hasbro has learned more than people give them credit for.  This is their third toy line launch for Star Wars accompanying a movie release. This is a much better situation in terms of the overall availability of figures than 1999.  Let us keep in mind the natural inclination of the American collector to complain.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 11:33 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 12:30 AM »
I have to agree that for here in Iowa at least, distribution is much better than it ever has been before.  The only challenge here is the Red Guard and maybe the Tank Gunner, and I've seen him every day now this week, which leads me to believe the heat is off him.  And of course #41-44, but they're still new.  Turn over is high here, mainly at Target, who have the most current shipments.

It can always be better, though.  I hate the exclusives, the packing of army builders one to a case, and the scalpers, but overall for me it's better this time around than last.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 04:28 AM »
As for the comment about a lack of Clone Trooper multi-packs...HELLO.  The Evolutions 3-Pack?  The Deluxe 3-packs that are modeled on the Clone Wars 3-packs?  What are those?  And once again...we're only 6 weeks into the line. GIVE IT TIME.  Do you seriously expect Hasbro to blow their load all at once?  Why don't we at least give Hasbro until Comic Con (otherwise known as the Summer Toy Fair) before passing judgement.

It's this kind of impatience that really makes the collecting community seem like a dog chasing it's tail at times.  Hasbro has the master toy license until 2018.  Let them space it out a little bit in order to keep it interesting and vital for years to come.

Nick...

Please calm down, nobody's in a panic or tizzy here I think since most people seem to have at least some of what they're looking for...  I think being condescending in your reply isn't a necessity, as if you know this industry inside out and the rest of us are merely outside opinions...  My point about no Clone multi-packs on shelves, as is in the context of what I wrote, was that there's NONE OUT NOW, for neither the build-up period to the film's release, nor for the release of the film itself.  The Evolutions set, the 3-pack...  They're NOT on pegs right now, and I'm not seeing TE Gunners, Commanders, or even the #6 Clone in great quantities either, if at all.

The film is here...  It's now...  Clones are a rarity on the pegs at any store save for TRU (and perhaps KB).  And even at TRU the Clones aren't what I'd call "flowing like wine"...  You're missing the point I was making.  I've been down the collecting path for long enough that I (and the rest of us I'm sure) know patience is what pays off...  You know as much as the rest of us, and I'm sure we all can see the point that Clones aren't on the pegs at the most pivotal moment for pushing a film, which is right now.  That's smart business strategy, and Hasbro is missing it, and case ratios could be at fault...  It's like there being no Vader on the pegs right now, or no main characters...  It's not a good thing.

When a 7 year old says to me that the 3.75" line basically bites because I (myself) can't find a Clone, but his Legos rock because he has a small army going, I'm not really complaining from a personal perspective...  I have amassed a nice collection.  The point is one where Hasbro's maybe got the license till 2018, but these moments of opportunity to "hook" people don't come around every day, and not having some thing so pivotal as the Clone figure available in much of any form, is not a GOOD thing when the film is here now and the rush is on...  When a kid passes on THEIR line for Lego because they don't have the product out (due to bad case ratios or whatever the case may be), then THAT is bad business.

The line has time for the die-hards, that's without a doubt...  2018's a long ways off.  No Clones on the pegs though for the premiere of the film, I can't see how that could be argued as "good business" in any way...  Who is at fault for that?  I think Hasbro can take its share of the blame, along with others.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 09:25 AM »
Jesse, thanks for saying what I would have said had I been awake.  ;)

Nick, I certainly agree that time is a factor with the release of these figures, but while it might be too early to say that certain figures are going to be long-term pegwarmers, we are also on the day of the film's release.  I'm of the opinion that this weekend in particular will be the time when we see what interest kids are going to have in this line.  Kind of going along with what Jesse referred to, what happens when a kid goes into a retailer and wants a Darth Vader or a Clone Trooper and doesn't see one to buy?  Is he going to have mom and dad drive around and keep looking, or is he going to buy something else?   :-\

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 12:34 PM »
My point has been completely missed.  Go to EE and check out all of the case assortments.  Almost every case out there has Clone Troopers of one sort or another in it.  And cases continue to ship to stores EVERY DAY.  Add in the fact that sometimes anecdotal evidence just doesn't carry that much weight since things can be regionally skewed by how collectors collect in a certain area.  One city or region does not necessarily reflect the rest of the country.  No Clones on the pegs in one city?  So.  I saw plenty on the pegs in my area last night.  My area just so happens to be one of the biggest metroploitan areas in the world.  The two things don't seem to correlate, do they?

If you look at things with a measure of reason, you can see that there are some important trends that have developed.  Such as the fact that Hasbro has put the bulk of their Clone Troopers in Collection 1 cases which happen to ship in higher quantities than Collection 2 cases.  Does that leave the AT-TE Tank Gunner and the Royal Guards out in the cold?  Yes, but those figures continue ship in over half a dozen different case assortments if you look at what's current and move on from there.

As for which characters SHOULD be on pegs, I would argue that it's Anakin Skywalker.  It's HIS movie.  And despite that, Hasbro has recognized that there is a demand for army builders and told collectors so at their Q&A session in Indianapolis.  They have plans for more army builders.  Some of the sets I mentioned are due out within weeks of the movies release.  THAT, I argue is the prime time for any sort of collectible.  Once the public has had the opportunity to digest the movie I think overall interest and sales will actually continue to rise.  Add in the fact that Star Wars will have a little longevity in the theaters and not be gone from the local multiplex within three weeks.  The movies have traditionally had some legs, and with the reviews being as favorable as these have been, this one could last longer than TPM and AOTC did in theaters.  That combined with the all-out marketing effort that's going on mean that we're going to have plenty of product offered to us by a range of Lucasfilm licensees.

Hasbro being one of those licensees sees the need for longevity and have to provide a continuous attraction to fans and collectors through the course of the summer and into the 2005 Holiday season.  If we were deluged with even more product now it might be more than the market and Hasbro's retail partners could take.  Product needs to be spaced out for the benefit of both collectors and retail.

As for some REAL evidence, I have spoken at length with some people at a major retail chain.  They say that sales are actually up from the 2002 line launch.  This is genuinely encouraging, as the better sales numbers mean that Star Wars will continue to have a good shelfspace presense at retail through at least the holiday season.  More shelfspace means more product.

I think our current society has more to do with the ugliness I've seen here than we all know.  We've become a culture of instant gratification, and if it isn't here now then how the hell is it good for?  I see a buildup of reports of people trying to find figures, outraged that they can't find them at their earliest possible convenience.  Then they find them and the ranting stops.  Until they start to get impatient once more and start wondering "Where's the Tarkin wave, these Wookiee Warriors are pegwarmers now!"  I see far more of this than good discussions of the pros and cons of the figures that we have in hand.  If only people would wait three weeks before running off at the keyboard, I think we would all be much happier.  The negative energy that it all evokes is rather troubling at times.

Now, as for my own credentials which you've seen fit to address, let's see if our creds match up here, okay Jesse?  I have covered the following Hasbro events:  Celebration 2, Celebration 3, Wizard World Chicago in 2003, Hasbro's Collector Media Day in 2003, Toy Fair 2004, and Toy Fair 2005.  I've gotten to know these people somewhat, and they've offered interesting insights into the line.  I also cover a couple of other licensees as well.  Add in some good contacts at one of the country's largest toy chains and I have a little bit of a feel for the toy industry.  Please make an effort to know who you're addressing before you start talking down to them.

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 01:35 PM »
We're not here to discuss credentials Nick, and your "credentials" don't make your comments/opinions any more valid than the rest of us, to be honest, so let's just let that go please.

As for the actual case assortment issue, I agree with pretty much all the points that everyone else has already made in this thread.  There's a serious lack of army building figures out there, along with the main villain figures (Vader, Grievous, Dooku).  Hard even for kids to recreate a lot of the main scenes from the flick without any of those figures.  So for that reason, I'd say that Hasbro still doesn't have their fingers on the pulse of what's truly desired at retail, to the point that their case assortments continue to be less than stellar.

But, in Hasbro's defense, I will say this:  The figures are really moving pretty well this time, much better than I recall the last two films doing.  AND...  It's almost frightening to hear me of all people say this, but there have been a LOT of kids buying into the ROTS line, which I've never experienced before.  I've seen more kids stalking the SW section of the aisle in the past month, than I've seen in the past 9.5 years combined.  So, FOR ONCE, I'll give Hasbro a tiny bit of credit in discussing the buying potential of the kids.

But prior to the past month, every time I've heard Hasbro reps spewing nonsense about how the kids are the ones supporting the line, and who the line is tailored to (I won't include all the various events like Nick though), they've been ridiculously wrong, and it's an insult to collectors everywhere to hear them reiterate that bull**** over and over and over again, every single year, at every single event their reps attend.  I guess that explains Brent's comment here, as I finally grew tired of the same crap, and had to call Hasbro on "a few" of their comments at the C3 panel:

As annoying as Colman was at the panel discussion, he was right.  Hasbro is not paying attention and it isn't just evil JD saying so.

:P

But back to the case assortment issue, though retail sales seem to be doing better than before, and the kids are actually finally participating, there's still a ton more money that Hasbro could be making (and thus more retail peg space that could be available for newer product) with some better choices in their case packs and ratios.  But I've pretty much just accepted that they'll never quite "get it", and just take what I can get, when I eventually find it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 01:39 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 09:12 PM »
Well, let's analyze  the cases.

GLOWING = Army Builders
GREEN = Core heroes & villains (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Dooku, Palpatine, Grievous, Padme & Darth Vader)

BASIC FIGURES

COLLECTION 1

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 1
1 x # III/01  Obi-Wan Kenobi - Slashing Attack
1 x # III/02  Anakin Skywalker - Lightsaber Attack
1 x # III/03  Yoda - Firing Cannon

1 x # III/04  Super Battle Droid - Firing Arm Blaster!
1 x # III/05  Chewbacca - Wookiee Rage
1 x # III/06  Clone Trooper - Quick Draw Attack
1 x # III/07  R2-D2 - Droid Attack
1 x # III/08  Grievous's Bodyguard - Battle Attack!
1 x # III/09  General Grievous - 4 Lightsaber Attack!
1 x # III/10  Mace Windu - Force Combat
1 x # III/11  Darth Vader - Lightsaber Attack
1 x # III/12  Emporer Palpatine - Firing Force Lightning

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 1, Rev. 1
2x Obi-Wan Kenobi with slashing attack (EIII #1)
2x Anakin Skywalker with lightsaber attack (EIII #2)
2x Yoda with firing cannon (EIII #3)

2x Clone Trooper with quick-draw attack (EIII #6)
2x General Grievous with four lightsaber attack (EIII #9)
2x Darth Vader with lightsaber attack (EIII #11)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 2
1x Yoda with firing cannon (EIII #3)
1x Clone Trooper with quick-draw attack (EIII #6)
1x Grievous's Bodyguard with battle attack (EIII #8)

1x General Grievous with four lightsaber attack (EIII #9)1x Mace Windu with Force combat (EIII #10)
1x Emperor Palpatine with firing Force lightning (EIII #12)
1x Tarfful with firing bowcaster (EIII #25)
1x Yoda with spinning attack (EIII #26)
2x Obi-Wan Kenobi with Jedi kick (EIII #27)
2x Anakin Skywalker with slashing attack (EIII #28)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 2, Rev. 1
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi with slashing attack (EIII #1),
1x Anakin Skywalker with lightsaber attack (EIII #2),

1x Super Battle Droid with firing arm blaster (EIII #4),
1x Chewbacca with wookie rage (EIII #5),
1x R2-D2 wqith droid attack (EIII #7),
1x Darth Vader with lightsaber attack (EIII #11),
2x Tarfful with firing bowcaster (EIII #25),
2x Yoda with spinning attack (EIII #26),
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi with Jedi kick (EIII #27),
1x Anakin Skywalker with slashing attack (EIII #28)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 3
1x Anakin Skywalker (EIII #2)
1x Yoda (EIII #3)

1x Clone Trooper (EIII #6)
1x Grievous' Bodyguard (EIII #8)

1x General Grievous (EIII #9)
2x Darth Vader (EIII #11)

2x Clone Commander (EIII #33)
1x Clone Pilot (EIII #34)

1x Palpatine (EIII #35)
1x General Grievous (EIII #36)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 3, Rev. 1
1x Super Battle Droid (EIII #4)
1x Chewbacca (EIII #5)
1x R2-D2 (EIII #7)
1x Darth Vader (EIII #11)
1x Yoda (EIII #26)
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi (EIII #27)
1x Anakin Skywalker (EIII #28)

1x Clone Commander (EIII #33)
2x Clone Pilot (EIII #34)

1x Palpatine (EIII #35)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 4
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi (EIII #1)
2x Clone Commander (EIII #33)
2x Clone Pilot (EIII #34)

1x Palpatine (EIII #35)

1x Clone Trooper (EIII #41)
1x Neimoidian Warrior (EIII #42)
2x Wookie Warrior (EIII #43)
1x Destroyer Droid (EIII #44)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 4, Rev. 1

1x Palpatine (EIII #35)

1x Neimodian Warrior (EIII #42)
1x Wookie Warrior (EIII #43)

1x Yoda (EIII #3)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 4, Rev. 2
1x Yoda (EIII #26)
1x Clone Trooper (EIII #6)
1x Darth Vader (EIII #11)
1x Tarfful (EIII #25)

1x Palpatine (EIII #35)

1x Neimoidian Warrior (EIII #42)
1x Wookie Warrior (EIII #43)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 4, Rev. 3
1x Yoda (EIII #3)

1x R2-D2 (EIII #7)
2x Clone Trooper (EIII #41)
2x Neimoidian Warrior (EIII #42)
2x Wookie Warrior (EIII #43)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 5
1x Tarfful (EIII #25)
1x Yoda (EIII #26)
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi (EIII #27)
1x Anakin Skywalker (EIII #28)
1x Palpatine (EIII #35)

2x R2-D2 with Mustafar sounds (EIII #48)
2x Commander Baccarra (EIII #49)
2x Anakin Skywalker on Mustafar with Vader Hood & Cloak (EIII #50)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 5, Rev. 1
2x Clone Trooper (EIII #6)
3x Darth Vader (EIII #11)
2x R2-D2 (EIII #48)
2x Anakin Skywalker (EIII #50)
2x Commander Baccarra (EIII #49)

SW Episode III Collection 1, Wave 6
2x Darth Vader (EIII #11)
1x Clone Trooper (EIII #41),
1x R2-D2 (EIII #48),
1x Anakin Skywalker (EIII #50)
1x Commander Baccarra (EIII #49)
2x Turbo Tank Driver (EIII #54)

2x Obi-Wan Pilot (EIII #56)
2x Mustafar Sentry (EIII #55)

COLLECTION 2

SW Episode III Collection 2, Wave 1
1x Count Dooku - Sith Lord (EIII #13)
1x Chancellor Palpatine - Superme Chancellor (EIII #14)

1x Bail Organa - Republic Senator (EIII #15)
1x Plo Koon - Jedi Master (EIII #16)
1x Battle Droid - Separatis Army (EIII #17)
1x C-3PO - Protocol Droid (EIII #18)
1x Padmé (pregnant Padme) - Republic Senator (EIII #19)
1x Agen Kolar - Jedi Master (EIII #20)
1x Shaak Ti - Jedi Master(EIII #21)
1x Kit Fisto - Jedi Master (EIII #22)
1x Royal Guard - Senate Security (EIII #23)
1x Mon Mothma - Republic Senator (EIII #24)

SW Episode III Collection 2, Wave 2
1x Bail Organa - Republic Senator (EIII #15)
1x Battle Droid - Separatist Army (EIII #17)
1x C-3PO - Protocol Droid (EIII #18)
1x Royal Guard - Senate security (EIII #23)
2x Ki-Adi-Mundi - Jedi Master (EIII #29)
2x Saesee Tiin - Jedi Master (EIII #30)
2x Luminara Unduli - Jedi Master (EIII #31)
2x Aayla Secura - Jedi Knight (EIII #32)

SW Episode III Collection 2, Wave 2, Rev. 1
1x Plo Koon - Jedi Master (EIII #16)
1x Agen Kolar - jedi Master (EIII #20)
1x Shaak Ti - Jedi Master (EIII #21)
1x Kit Fisto - Jedi Master (EIII #22)
2x Ki-Adi-Mundi - Jedi Master (EIII #29)
2x Saesee Tiin - Jedi Master (EIII #30)
2x Luminara Unduli - Jedi Master (EIII #31)
2x Aayla Secura - Jedi Knight (EIII #32)

SW Episode III Collection 2, Wave 3
1x Count Dooku (EIII #13)
1x Chancellor Palpatine (EIII #14)

1x Battle Droid (EIII #17)
1x C-3PO (EIII #18)
1x Ki-Adi-Mundi (EIII #29)
1x Saesee Tiin (EIII #30)
1x Luminara Unduli (EIII #31)
1x Aayla Secura (EIII #32)
1x Vader's Medical Droid (EIII #37)
1x AT-TE Tank Gunner (EIII #38)
1x Polis Maasan (EIII #39)
1x Mas Amedda (EIII #40)

SW Episode III Collection 2, Wave 3, Rev. 1
1x Bail Organa (EIII #15)
1x Padmé (EIII #19)
1x Kit Fisto (EIII #22)
1x Royal Guard (EIII #23)
2x Vader's Medical Droid (EIII #37)
2x AT-TE Tank Gunner (EIII #38)
2x Polis Maasan (EIII #39)
2x Mas Amedda (EIII #40)

SW Episode III Collection 2, Wave 3, Rev. 2

1x C-3PO (EIII #18)
1x Mas Amedda (EIII #40)

SW Episode III Collection 2, Wave 3, Rev. 3

1x C-3PO (EIII #18)
1x Mas Amedda (EIII #40)

SW Episode III Collection 2, Wave 4
1x Bail Organa (EIII #15)
1x Padmé (EIII #19)
1x Mon Mothma (EIII #24)
2x Tarkin (EIII #45)
2x Senator Ask Aak (EIII #46)
2x Mon Calamri Senator (EIII #47)

SW Episode III Collection 2, Wave 4, Rev. 1
1x Padme (EIII #19)
3x Senator Ask Aak (EIII #46)
3x Tarkin (EIII #45)
3x Mon Calamri Senator (EIII #47)

SW Episode III Collection 2, Wave 5
1x Royal Guard (EIII #23)
2x AT-TE Tank Gunner (EIII #38)
3x Utapaun Warrior (EIII #53)

3x Captain Antilles (EIII #51)
3x Zett Jukassa (Tado) (EIII #52)

To me, these case assortments look pretty well loaded with Army Builders as well as the core characters.  There may be a couple of cases missing there, but this does seem pretty representative of what's at retail and what's on the way.  It seems to show that Collection 2 is kind of dragging things down.  Those are the characters I see that aren't selling as well.  Thankfully they aren't shipping in the quantities ofCollection 1.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 09:15 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 02:59 AM »
Nicklab Said:
Now, as for my own credentials which you've seen fit to address, let's see if our creds match up here, okay Jesse?

Nick, wow, I'm sorry you were offended by my words, but I can't see where I called into question your "credentials".   If anything I simply was saying you're on-par with anyone in this thread...  That's the truth in my eyes, and I'm sorry if you feel you are different than the masses, really... 

I think you should maybe heed these words you yourself said:
Please make an effort to know who you're addressing before you start talking down to them.

Because it strikes me that you're implying the REST of us don't know as much as you do...  Kinda "talking down" to everyone and all that.  I'm sorry you maybe feel that way about some of us...

I didn't talk "down" to you, I simply addressed your tone because it wasn't appreciated on the boards is all.  I'll reiterate my words for clarity's sake...

As I said in my post:

I think being condescending in your reply isn't a necessity, as if you know this industry inside out and the rest of us are merely outside opinions...

&

You know as much as the rest of us, and I'm sure we all can see the point that Clones aren't on the pegs at the most pivotal moment for pushing a film, which is right now.

I'm not saying you are completely ignorant about toys in any way Nick.  You have certainly been to many conventions, shows, and the like, and that's fantastic.  I simply told you that the whole "I know more than you do, OBVIOUSLY" attitude was a bit much...  You know as MUCH as the rest of us in my view, whether you do or not...  Maybe you disagree, and as I said I'm sorry if you feel that way.

As far as the points you make...

I agree with the sociological POV on collectors (or U.S. culture as a whole) requiring instant gratification, that's a pretty popular mode of thought on modern society I think, and it's evident, but as marketing teaches students in the earliest classes, society and how to cater to them are keys to marketing products...  It's easy enough to argue then that lack of instant gratification is sales lost...  I personally see the lack of Clones as a mistake because of this, as they are popular among a broad audience...  It's just my opinion though, but when a 7 year old tells me what he did, I found that to be a profound thought as I was rifling through the pegs for more Clone figures in my collection...

There's no disputing MORE are shipping, there's time for MORE to come out, no doubt...  And I'll be here for them too, with open wallet arms.  My point still stands though, that (at least in my area, and many other areas I'm told) Clones aren't abundant...  I'm glad your neck of the woods has plenty for all though Nick, because that means things are maybe flowing better in the pipelines out there...  It could simply be that Pittsburgh has bad distribution itself and the rest of the country's doing well on these figures.  I know on another toy line I like that we have gotten the short end of the stick lately while others had plenty of whatever they wanted.

On the issue of Collection 1 doing better than COllection 2, I personally see them as faring rather evenly myself, for the most part, with the duller of the C2 figures sitting the most and the more abundant C1 figures sitting the most of their cases...  But, like you said,
Add in the fact that sometimes anecdotal evidence just doesn't carry that much weight since things can be regionally skewed by how collectors collect in a certain area.  One city or region does not necessarily reflect the rest of the country.
, so where NY sees Clones galore and Collection 2 sit like they're fertalizer to grow more C1 figures, in my neck of the woods the sales are fairly even...

Put at the front of a store even, I've found that EVERYTHING sells out.  My one Taret had its 4/2 overstock at a checkout aisle temporary endcap, and I've watched that thing go from overflowing with figures to nothing in a month...  Impressive considering how much was hanging there not long ago.

But that is the differences people see...  And everyone has their own experiences to share, that influence their opinions, and everyone has their own "credentials" too, and when I see a thread like this I see everyone as knowing as much as the next guy in my book.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 11:46 PM »
One of the biggest mistakes so far that I've seen in the Case Packs is in the latest Collection 1 Case

1x Palpatine
1x Explodin' Grievous
2x Clone Commander
2x Clone Pilot
1x Obi-Wan
2x Wookiee Warrior
1x SA Clone
1x Destroyer Droid
1x Neimoidian Warrior

That, is horrible...really horrible

Repacking old figures at 2 per case over new ones and having one of the 1 pers be the most saught after figure of the launch :(

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2005, 06:41 PM »
So should we address our future figures post to him? ???

:P
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Aaron_D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2005, 04:18 AM »
It's taken nearly 2 months, but it does seem that a lot of the tougher army builders are becoming more readily available lately, like the Clone Commander, Clone Pilot, Blue Royal Guard and several others.  Plus, the previous wave of the Destroyer Droid, Nemoudian Guard, and both Wookiees has been surprisingly easy to obtain.  Of course the SA Clone is still a very difficult find, but I'm hearing more reports of people finding that too lately.  So hopefully some of the more recent case assortments are getting a little bit better, and Hasbro's making some smarter decisions than usual with these things.  The figures overall seem to be selling through relatively well at least.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2005, 04:26 PM »
I don't think any of us are going to be completely happy until Hasbro does solid cases of red Royal Guards and SA Clones.

But, that's only two really hard-to-find figures out of 44, so I think Hasbro is doing alright. And the SA Clone just came out, so that only leaves one HTF figure. Not counting exclusives, which are unmitigated disasters at any chain.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: June 2, 2005, 02:20 AM »
Looks like Hasbro may be catching on finally.  From RS:

Store Report: Target Builds Armies
Jay: For those of you Hasbro collectors that are looking to build your armies, Target now has a specific case assortment shipping to them full of cannon fodder. According to a Target employee "[the case] had 3 figures each of the following: #41 Super Articulated Clone Trooper, #42 Neimoidian Warrior, #43 Wookie Warrior, #44 Destroyer Droid." Looks like the Big H. is starting to pay attention to customer demands. Happy Hunting!

And I've been noticing a lot more of the army builders showing up in the past week or two as well, like the Blue Guards, Clone Commanders, Gunners, and Pilots too.  I think there's been another case assortment with a pretty solid mix of just these army builders as well.

Unfortunately, regarding that case RS mentioned, that Nemoidian is already seriously pegwarming, and since he really didn't see any action in the movie, he shouldn't have been a top priority there.  But I guess it's the thought that counts...  But Ben's right, where's the Red Guards, and some more SA Clones?  That's where the money's at now for toughest to find.  But at least it's getting a little better now, like Aaron already mentioned above.

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 2, 2005, 10:43 AM »
I'd say there's probably different ways Hasbro looks at case assortments.  I'm sure they like having a wide variety of figures available just so there looks to be a good selection on the display.  Our market seems to be focused almost exclusively on army builders, and we all know they'd sell well, and are selling well around here. Maybe to Hasbro we're a narrow market though, and while we buy a ton of figures, maybe they have a strategy of playing to other shoppers, and having pegwarmers could be part of that. In a perfect world I'm sure they'd like to sell everything, but I suppose they don't want the pegs to appear limited to only a bunch of clones and army builders. This could make certain shoppers think "wow, all they have are these few characters, and I'm not really into these generic background characters."  Basically they are trying to please everyone, and that's not gonna happen all the time.

I do think they've improved with the army builders greatly for this launch. Past performance probably hasn't helped the Royal Guard situation. Remember all the Saga red guards there were?  Those didn't sell, did they? I mean the ones I got were on clearance.  They certainly didn't sell like other army builders, and so now there seems to be a greater demand, and they didn't really meet it.