Author Topic: Attakus Star Wars Dioramas  (Read 31872 times)

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
Attakus Star Wars Dioramas
« on: May 4, 2005, 09:22 AM »

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: Attakus Star Wars Dioramas
« Reply #1 on: May 4, 2005, 03:13 PM »
I was hoping they'd look like crap. Unfortunately, they dont. I saw some pics on some Attakus forums, and even the protos look superb. The Death Star diorama is about 3' long.

You can guarantee these will cost at least one kidney, maybe a lung. Might have to let a lab test medicines and skin products on you as well.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
Re: Attakus Star Wars Dioramas
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Let's just hope they are slated for NEXT year(2006), huh, BDW? ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Attakus Dioramas... 3.75" Scale?
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2005, 03:55 AM »
So what's everyone's take?

Being resin cast, and somewhat large, I'm wondering just what cost may be on these.  I mean, a 2-part Death Star diorama is the word, and it'll include I believe 1/3 of the Millenium Falcon...  If that's all to-scale...

well holy **** does come to mind.

I'm sort of intrigued.  It sounds almost like Dagobah is going to be a complete set with Yoda's hut, some trees and a partial submerged X-Wing.  I'm hoping the Death Star set is "complete" to an extent...  No half-walls and such.  Something that, if you wanted to, you could expand on it.

I'm intrigued to say the least...  And the figures sound interesting too, like mousedroids, stormtroopers (pre-posed as they may be), and the like.

Attakus has my attention...  Anyone considering these for use as shelf displays with action figures, besides myself?

I've always sorta hoped a company would do 1:18 scale Star Wars vehicles, done exact and perfectly scaled for the action figures, maybe even done in die-cast metals even (works amazing on 1:18 armor pieces from 21st), so these dioramas have me intrigued.

Worried about price...  but intrigued nonetheless.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Attakus Dioramas... 3.75" Scale?
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2005, 09:55 AM »
I don't even want to think about it...  :-\

They are going to be expensive and probably awesome, thus creating a dilemma for me on whether or not to buy them.   :(

Anyway, there's a sneak peek of the DS set at the Attakus site:

http://www.america.attakus.com/indexmetalSW.php

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2005, 12:22 PM »
Good Lord... these are to scale with th 1:18 line, I am gonna be sick.  No way could I afford them.

:P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2005, 12:35 PM »

Jeff

[picks jaw up off the floor]

That looks absolutely amazing!  It must be huge.  I can't wait to see the finished product.

Based on Attakus retail prices, I can't see how they'll sell this for less than $300 -- probably a lot more. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: May 6, 2005, 03:09 PM »
I'm still wanting one...  Especially if they are indeed to-scale. 

Being someone who works with resins myself though, I can tell you that casting large items in it isn't cheap, especially if you're doing it on a "mass production" type of scale like this.  A small building's corner, for a 1:32 toyline, can retail for anywhere from $30 on up.  This is tiny in comparison to that diorama.

The ad did say they'd be sold in halves though (further proof of expense though), so maybe we can get ONE half and enjoy?   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Sweet mother of God!  It's about time someone did something like this, especially since Hasbro's completely dropped the ball with large playsets for, oh, the last decade or so...  I've always said I'd probably be willing to pay top dollar for some 4" scale dioramas that were pretty accurate, especially for key locales such as the Death Star (I & II), the Cantina, Dagobah, and Jabba's Palace.

In fact, I've closely eyed some of the incredible custom dioramas that have popped up on eBay over the years, and ran a good few hundred bucks.  Never bit the bullet though, in hopes that eventually we'd get something similar, and officially licensed.

These sound like they're really going to be top notch, and I honestly wonder if Attakus' intent is actually to cater to the 4" collecting market with these things, knowing full well the long running demand for something like this.

Attakus' ambitious new Star Wars diorama line, called the Star Wars Metal Collection, will include two enormous dioramas to launch the series: the Death Star and Dagobah. The dioramas, scaled to about the size of Hasbro's 3 3/4" figure line, will be constructed of resin and include highly-detailed painted pewter figures to display with them. The Death Star set is scheduled for release sometime this year, with Dagobah to follow soon after.

Because of their size, each diorama will be offered in two parts to be sold separately. The Death Star set from A New Hope, for example, will be comprised of a sectioned hull of the Millennium Falcon as one unit, and the hangar/corridor from the Death Star interior as the other. The Falcon section, which represents about one-third of the scaled ship's actual width, is opened on one side to allow viewing of the detailed interior. Additionally, each of the two sections will be offered with an exclusive figure -- either Han in stormtrooper disguise or Luke in trooper disguise. Additional figures to be sold separately will include Darth Vader, Han (regular costume), Luke (regular costume), Leia, Obi-Wan, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, four different stormtroopers, and a mouse droid.

The Dagobah set from The Empire Strikes Back will include Yoda's hut with several trees, and a partially submerged X-wing fighter sold separately. Exclusive figures included with the two sections are Luke sitting and Luke in a handstand. Related figures sold separately include Luke with Yoda in backpack, Luke in X-wing pilot uniform, Luke in Bespin fatigues, Yoda, Vader with removable head, spirit of Obi-Wan, and two-legged R2-D2.

I almost wish they didn't come with the figures/ships though, since that will give me a dilemna of whether to toss my 4" figures into the display, or leave the ones that come with it in there...

Scratch that.  Spoke too soon.  I see the figures are going to be sold separately...
« Last Edit: May 6, 2005, 03:39 PM by JediMAC »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 03:52 AM »
I don't even want to think about it...  :-\

They are going to be expensive and probably awesome, thus creating a dilemma for me on whether or not to buy them.   :(

Jeff

sweet mother of pearl (I have no clue what that means) that diorama looks hugnormous!!! it's going to cost an arm or leg, but it's definitely something I would want. gotta get a bank loan or something though for it, haha!

but seriously, if this thing winds up being to scale to the 3.75" line and is seriously detailed, oh man do they have a winner on their hands. imagine a detailed and scaled Cantina or Jabba's Palace, or the Emperor's Throne Room, oh man would those rock. but that kinda stuff would only happen if the first sets sell well, problem is in their price point, it will likely be high, and rightfully so, but that could scare some consumers off. let's hope that isn't the case though...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 06:38 AM »
Holy poop in a hat, I just saw the post Jesse made on the news page showing new images of the Falcon interior and it's just amazing. You can see them here...

http://forum.america.attakus.com/viewtopic.php?t=355

The detail is unbelievable, it's going to be difficult not to have these things, the urge will be so high. The work shown is just top notch, they even worked on things like the plumbing (at least I think that has to do with plumbing), unbelievable stuff going on there, can't wait to see the finished product.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 11:53 AM »
Those look FANTASTIC. I must have that Falcon. Only problem is money. I bet it will cost several hundred dollars. :-\

Anybody know when these are scheduled to come out?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 12:28 AM »
Too bad it's just half a ship.  I wonder how they could do the other half for a Hoth diorama?  :)  Voila, complete Falcon.

I wonder what the scale is on that though? The Falcon varies a lot in the movies...  3 foot seems small by a bit, but that'd be great if it was 100% to-scale.

At least it appears that the whole cockpit is there, if it's to-scale.  That'd make a LOT of folks happy I think.

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 01:42 AM »
Where can I get one or two of these?  I don't care what they cost.  If they cost four grand each I'll still get them, I'll just pay for them for the next five years in installments. 
Seriously who is a reputable vendor for Attakus?  With the limited production quantities and quick sellouts I am nervous.  This is a must have.  A must.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 08:59 AM »
So far, these really look to be amazing, and I'm excited to see the final products.  It is something I think many of us have been waiting for Hasbro to do, and it is great that they are coming out in some sort of fashion, even though they might be somewhat pricey.  I'd really like to get a few of these pieces, they would make great display areas, but I'm afraid the price might be too high for me personally.  Might be time to start saving though :P.  The Falcon would be awfully tempting, along with DS, Dagobah, etc.