Author Topic: Magazines  (Read 5732 times)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
Magazines
« on: February 25, 2005, 10:05 AM »
I like to collect mags with DEDICATED SW covers, but while perusing the stand the other day, I came across a mag with a stormtrooper in the upper left corner.

It turned out to be The ROmantic Times Book Club magazine. Romantic Novelist Suzanne Enoch is a big SW collector and has a 2 page spread on her collection.

Never in a million yrs. would I have ever thought I'd see SW on the cover of a romantic book club magazine.  :-*

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 01:50 PM by JediMAC »
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Magazine
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 02:03 PM »
That's pretty funny, Bob!  I'll have to dig that up and scope it out.

I've got a huge magazine collection as well, and like you, pretty much nab anything with SW on the cover.  I'm almost embarrassed to say how many I picked up leading up to the TPM premiere.  SW was EVERYWHERE back then, and then, of course, the movie blew.   :P

I also have a ton of random clippings and stuff that I've taken, when available, from any other print media resources.  Working on putting together a little scrapbook of all that crap, just to get it all nicely consolidated in one place.

I definitely need to do some catching up on the vintage era magazines though.  I'm rather light in that area, but there's some great stuff from that era as well.  Better stuff, actually...   8)

So, anyone else collect magazines, or print media "stuff"?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Not Star Wars, but Jurassic Park, and when I was on the kick, Pokemon. I had everything with the word pokemon even mentioned. I had the movie listings even cut out and pasted on my walls. :P

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 02:23 PM »
I have always enjoyed picking up magazines as well, but haven't gotten as many as I would like.  I have always been interested in trying to go back and pick up the "vintage" era ones focusing on the OT, it seemed like Time and/or Newsweek often had features on Star Wars when the next new movie was on the way.  Another area of collecting that is getting neglected right now, but I always intend to "get to" :).

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
ROTS mags
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 10:49 AM »
A TON of ROTS mags coming.  Lots of exclusives too,

also:
Toyfare SW issue -huge amount of SW
Nonsports mag-Vader cover
Lee's toy review has a dual cover, anakin/obi duel with anakin fig facing, and the other cover is the same with obi facing
check your comic stores too, mine has about 6 other mags w/SW cover or focus over the next month or so.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS mags
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 06:19 PM »
Picked up Empire this weekend as well.

2 covers:

1) Obi-wan w/blue foil cover
2) Anakin w/red foil cover

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 02:20 AM »
A TON of ROTS mags coming.  Lots of exclusives too,

also:
Toyfare SW issue -huge amount of SW
Nonsports mag-Vader cover
Lee's toy review has a dual cover, anakin/obi duel with anakin fig facing, and the other cover is the same with obi facing
check your comic stores too, mine has about 6 other mags w/SW cover or focus over the next month or so.

Toyfare SOLD OUT here in a day. I didn't get one.

Oh well.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 05:47 PM »
I'm grabbing some of these, like the Vanity Fair one, and a few others I've come across that focused primarily on ROTS/SW.  I love those bigger UK magazines, like Empire, and usually grab those too.

Anyone catch the freakin' monster cover collage coming from Entertainment Weekly next week?  RS has all 6 of the different covers up:  Anakin, Vader, Maul, Slave Leia, Han, AOTC Yoda.  I'll probably go for either the Maul or Leia, since I've got Yoda and Vader on the covers of a bajillion magazines already...

No way in hell I'm buying all 6 of those alternate covers though.  Are you Bob?

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 06:14 PM »
sigh, here's more:
The entertainment weekly mag (6 diff.)
Lee's will also have another(MAy I beleive-Clone trooper cover)

I'm sure there wll be a few doz. more in the next few months :^)  Love the mags.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 02:35 AM »
Hey Bob, do you count product catalogs at all?  'Cause I just got Entertainment Earth's new catalog, with a big Star Wars spread spanning the whole cover, showcasing their new exclusive Clones in auction.  Then, the next 22 pages are all full of nothing but the new ROTS/SW merchandise.  It's a very cool layout, and a pretty nice archive of the entire new ROTS line.  I'd suggest nabbing one.  It's definitely going in with my magazine collection, alongside the various toy mags...

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 09:51 PM »
Count it ;^)  Also previews recently had the ROTS cover as well.

Typically I try to grab any magazine I can that has a dedicated SW cover to it. (and occationally I'll grab even if the cover isn;t SW but has a decent size SW related article)

Also, just nabbed the Non-Sports Update (non sports card indusrty mag.  It has the Topps Vader ROTS cover on it, and a pretty nice article on the ROTS card set inside.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 06:31 PM »
Total Film (one of those big UK mags) has ROTS on the cover this month.  The content wasn't outstanding, but the cover looked cool.  I think they had 2 versions of the cover as well, one Anakin, one Vader.

Saw that Toyfare magazine yesterday too, and it's indeed a must get.  FULL of SW stuff, and lots of pretty cool themed group shots for the figures.  Didn't grab one, but they had about 10, so I'll get one soon...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 06:32 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Anyone been picking up any of the recent ROTS related magazines?  It seems like every major magazine is doing something for the next movie, and they are hitting all of the time.  I can't really afford to get them all, but I've been getting a couple here and there.  I picked up one of the (5) TV Guide "changing" cover issues last night at Wal-Mart, apparently those hit this week.  I would like to try to pick up all of them, but I'm having troubles convincing my wife that it is "necessary" :).  You can view a gallery of the covers (and of all Star Wars related TV Guide covers all time) at TVGuide.com, if interested.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 03:32 PM »
I'e got a few scattered around.  Somewhere in my parents' house are a few Time Magazines with Star Wars covers.  The ROTJ one was pretty cool, because the cover was an illustration of GL with all the SW characters around him.  The article even talked about him doing the Prequels someday, as well as episodes 7-9 if the actors looked old enough!

I also have the Vanity Fair from this year showing actors from all 6 movies, pretty good article too, and some others.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 3, 2005, 02:38 PM »
Looks like there is a new Star Wars themed Time Magazine.  It looks like a pretty cool one, and you can get a bit of a preview at the Time website.  It says this is on newsstands now (also at the Official Site), but while getting some groceries at Wal-Mart over my lunch break, they had a different one (Pope on cover, May 2nd date).  I'm guessing this is coming next week instead?  I'm hoping so, I'd like to pick it up.