Author Topic: Looking for Opinions: GG Mini Busts vs Sideshow 12"  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Looking for Opinions: GG Mini Busts vs Sideshow 12"
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:54 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it might work best here.  I've been thinking about trying to assemble a smaller "high end" (at least high end to me) collection of some of the main characters from the OT.  The two lines I've been looking at are the 12" Sideshow figures and the Gentle Giant mini busts.  I'm not sure how many here collect both (or either one), but I was curious which line you think might be the best way to go.  I know its all a matter of opinion, but I always enjoy reading other people's thoughts.

The characters I was thinking about picking up over the long haul are the following:

ANH Han Solo
ANH Luke Skywalker (Tatooine)
ANH Princess Leia
R2-D2
C-3PO
Chewbacca
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Darth Vader
Stormtrooper

Maybe later on..

Lando Calrissian (Bespin)
Yoda
Boba Fett

Anyways, I realize many of these haven't been touched on in either line in some cases, but I figure they will be eventually.  As for my personal collection, I only have Han/Chewie mini busts, and Han (Bespin) 12" (with the ANH Han on the way in the next week or so).  With Sideshow's price increases, it seems like GG might be the more affordable option for me - but then again, many of the mini busts I would have to backtrack on and that could get pricier (or even cheaper too) in some cases.  Who knows, with all this Hasbro stuff coming up, I might not be able to afford either line - but I was just curious what some of you thought.  I'm not nearly as educated on these lines as many of you, and I appreciate any help you might have to offer.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Looking for Opinions: GG Mini Busts vs Sideshow 12"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:21 PM »
Seeing as I have no GG mini busts and four various SS 12" figures...I'd say Sideshow.  ;D

For another, more serious reason, the SS figures are not as static and you can change their poses/accessories and switch up your display from time to time.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Opinions: GG Mini Busts vs Sideshow 12"
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:44 PM »
Collecting both lines as they release items is probably the best way to keep up on them.  That tends to be the norm with a higher end kind of line.  Although it is possible to do some bargain hunting.

A good number of Gentle Giant items have gone up in price over time with their limited editions.  However, collector sentiments toward the company have swayed to the negative side, with many thinking that Gentle Giant has adopted a "You'll take what we give you and you'll like it" attitude.  As a result I see much less collector buzz about Gentle Giant as a company.  They do offer some very cool products, but their approach to their customers leaves something to be desired.

Sideshow on the other hand has been very focused on good customer service and relations and I think collectors have embraced Sideshow and their approach.  However, the escalation in the prices of their 12" figures has been remarkable over the last year or two.  And with the introduction of armored characters to the line, it seems that more price increases are on the way.

As for the characters you've cited?  There are some bargains to be had with some of those in the Gentle Giant mini-bust line.  But some of those characters have yet to be produced.  And others still will run you a pretty penny.  Namely Boba Fett, the first Vader and the first Yoda.  Just look on the prices on those on eBay.  It's not pretty.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback