Author Topic: The Official R.I.P. Archive  (Read 29924 times)

SilverZ

Re: RIP President Reagan
« Reply #90 on: June 6, 2004, 01:01 AM »
one thing i don't understand. yes, he was president. yes, he dies. yes, it's sad. but come on - the guy was 93 years old and had been ill for quite some time. every station on tv has "broken away" from it's regular programming to have some kind of special report on his death. sorry but it's just not that big of a deal to me. it's not like he was 40 years old and got hit by a bus or something.

am i an insensitive ass?

Yeah, you bastard.  ;)

Me, not being an entirely sympathetic person or especially emotional when death is involved, really can only offer this observation – sometimes loses are greater than the individual person themselves.

Reagan, in my opinion, played one of the most critical roles in the 20th century in shaping our current lives - from economy, world political outlook, and attitude towards national identity - regardless of how you feel about the results. When someone with that much impact on the world leaves it, it can often be wondered if the inspiration for those impacts has left as well.

It’s sort of a passing of an age as well as a person.

People come, people go, and they most certainly all die. Some get hit by buses, some kill themselves, some get killed by others, some grow old and fade away. Few make us better people before it happens, and that’s what I think applies to President Reagan.

:)
« Last Edit: June 6, 2004, 01:05 AM by Tydirium »

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 6, 2004, 11:45 AM »
RIP President Reagan.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #92 on: June 7, 2004, 09:22 AM »
Reagan's Presidency was full of shining moments: Space Program, Job Recovery and Economic Growth, planting the seeds for the end of the Cold War, and some pretty big failures: Iran-Contra, start of the early 90's recession, Deficit Spending, Arms Build Ups...I think the diefication of his legacy is a little bit overstated.  He wasn't necessarily the brightest guy and some of his policies and initiatives were way out there (Star Wars...the idea of which he received when making a movie in the 50's)

I give him mucho credit for pulling the US out of the 70's post-Nixon, Post-Energy Crisis, Post-Vietnam and making us all feel it is good to be an American and we should all be proud of our country.  He was one of the best communicators of all time, his convictions and beliefs were rock solid and his love for Nancy is something that should be an inspiration for all people in love.

He was one of the best Presidents of the last 50 years, for sure top 10, not so sure about top 5.  

Alzheimer's truly is one of the worst diseases on the planet, not so much for the people afflicted but on the loved ones of the person who has the disease.  Glad to see all of their suffering is finally over

How many former Presidents are still alive?

Gerald Ford
Jimmy Carter
George Bush
Bill Clinton

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 7, 2004, 10:48 AM »
How many former Presidents are still alive?

Gerald Ford
Jimmy Carter
George Bush
Bill Clinton

Just them.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #94 on: June 7, 2004, 11:02 AM »
Gerald Ford will be 91 in July
Jimmy Carter will be 80 in October
George Bush will be 80 on Saturday
Bill Clinton will be 58 in August

BTW, 5 is the record for most living ex-Presidents at the same time

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 7, 2004, 11:14 AM »
Indeed very sad. Greatest President within my lifetime.

A little late to post here, but I agree with this statement as well.  I'm glad that he at least lived a full life (93), but it is still sad to see him go.  I remember being little, growing up with him as President, and actually "trusting" in him as a kid, thinking he was pretty great.  I don't know if kids today can have the same confidence in their president(s) as we were able to in the 80s.  Rest in peace  :'(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #96 on: June 8, 2004, 01:45 PM »
« Last Edit: June 8, 2004, 01:45 PM by I Love Kobe Bryant! »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 8, 2004, 06:39 PM »

Reagan on the $10 Bill?

Breathtaking.

I'd prefer Orrimaarko, but this has got my vote too.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: June 9, 2004, 04:32 PM »
Cool with me.  Hamilton was never all that exciting in the first place...  Of course, when I mentioned the idea to my wife, she retorted that Hamilton is the one who set up the whole United States Treasury in the first place, and therefore deserves to stay on there.

History teachers...   ::)

Speaking of which, it's been pretty crazy around here this past week, with all the motorcade processions and viewings right nearby.  Took me forever to get to work this morning, when they were transporting Reagan to Air Force One.  One of the schools my wife teaches at (Moorpark JC), has been closed this week, to allow everyone to park at their campus and then take shuttles up to Reagan's Library for the viewing.

Sad seeing his wife Nancy hug his coffin too...   :'(

The 80's will forever be my all-time favorite decade, and I'm sure I owe at least partial thanks to "The Gipper" for that...  RIP.  You served your country well, Mr. President.

Anyone back East going to see him lying in repose in D.C.?

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 9, 2004, 07:04 PM »
I can't wait for the REST IN PEACE part, myself. Sorry, I'm just sick of the media coverage. Stations should just replace their network logos with "Reagan still dead!" if they really need to constantly remind us all the man's deceased.
Post sober.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 9, 2004, 09:30 PM »
finally, someone who's on my side.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 9, 2004, 10:00 PM »
It's certainly been a bit much.  Especially so since Reagan has been pretty much out of sight for over 10 years.  Writing valentines to him as much as the mainstream media is has been a bit overdone.

As for placing him on currency....no thanks.  I can't justify taking Hamilton, Jefferson or Roosevelt off of a piece of currency to make room for Reagan.  Especially since Reagan wasn't exactly our best fiscal president.  We had a big recession under him, then rampant inflation, staggering deficits, and a major stock market crash.  Too much bad economics bad karma going on there to even THINK of putting him on our money.

I will certainly offer the following:  he seemed to be a very genuine person who believed what he said.  Also, I hope his illness can bring a greater deal of awareness to the plight of those suffering from Alzheimer's disease.  Every case of a person who suffers from Alzheimer's and loses their mental faculties is a tragedy unto itself.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2004, 10:03 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
RIP Ray Charles
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2004, 04:01 PM »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: RIP Ray Charles
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Say hello to heaven, Ray :'(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Ray Charles
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2004, 05:12 PM »
We've lost a national treasure today in Ray Charles.  I'll never think of "Georgia On My Mind" the same way again.   :(
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback