Author Topic: The Official R.I.P. Archive  (Read 30061 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Ray Charles
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2004, 05:25 PM »
Poor guy never saw it coming.

RIP Ray.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2004, 05:28 PM »
Yeowch...at least he can now see the full glory of the afterlife

And to me his signature song was his rendition of "America the Beautiful"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 05:32 PM by I Love Kobe Bryant! »

SilverZ

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2004, 05:33 PM »
RIP.

Are we going to experience the Rule of Three?  :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2004, 05:36 PM »
Perhaps...my guess on that one is Bob Barker who will join Rod Roddy "Come on Down!"

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2004, 05:44 PM »

RIP Ray.

>:(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2004, 06:06 PM »
Very sad indeed.  Ray was one of the greatest musician/singers of all time, and an American icon.  May he rest in peace, and continue to bless whoever he's around now, with his beautiful voice.  He will certainly be missed...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2004, 06:19 PM »

RIP Ray.

>:(

Oh come on - Ray would have laughed.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Great guy, great musician.  A damn shame at any age.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: RIP President Reagan
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2004, 11:49 PM »
It's certainly been a bit much.  Especially so since Reagan has been pretty much out of sight for over 10 years.  Writing valentines to him as much as the mainstream media is has been a bit overdone.

As for placing him on currency....no thanks.  I can't justify taking Hamilton, Jefferson or Roosevelt off of a piece of currency to make room for Reagan.  Especially since Reagan wasn't exactly our best fiscal president.  We had a big recession under him, then rampant inflation, staggering deficits, and a major stock market crash.  Too much bad economics bad karma going on there to even THINK of putting him on our money.

Bah!  At least Nicklab's a Yankee fan.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2004, 12:29 AM »
I can't wait for the REST IN PEACE part, myself. Sorry, I'm just sick of the media coverage. Stations should just replace their network logos with "Reagan still dead!" if they really need to constantly remind us all the man's deceased.

Amen...

Let it end...  I'm trying to watch the news, and it's this stuff...

Anyone dying is tragic, even if you don't agree with the political views of the individual who died.  There's no need for this.

And personally, call me crazy, but I find going to see him "tacky".  In my little world you don't go to funerals/viewings unless you can say you knew the person.  Public figure and all aside, it still strikes me as a bit much.

It's sad, but lay off and let life go on like he would have wanted, and like the world does naturally when anyone else passes.  

And let me have my TV back because I'd actually like to see a weather report for the weekend instead of a black hearse and some motorcycle cops moving at 2 mph down a highway.  

No disrespect of course, as he seems like he was a very polite man in his "normal" life, and that speaks miles about him as a person no matter what way you view him politically.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2004, 02:44 PM »
Looks like the pomp is almost done...

I think the week has been a little overblown but I was talking to my mom about it last night and she said the attention and "hype" was 1000x times more during the week Kennedy died and was buried.  Its sort of a Catch...Catch-22 that you want to honor the guy but you also don't need to go all out...and yet if your rival media outlet does it, you're almost forced into doing the same thing

My opinions on his Presidency changed a great deal after I read his official biography Dutch.  Morris (who also wrote 2 excellent books on T Roosevelt) came to the conclusions that he was a man of almost supernatural conviction who generally was one of the most likeable men he had ever met.  But there also was not much depth to him, he was not an intellectual, he had some really goofy ideas.  But he pulled our country out of some pretty devisive times, steered the way to the end of the Cold War and was generally a great compromiser and much more liberal in a lot of ways that Conservatives like to paint him as.  As I said earlier, his communication ability, sense of humor and congeniality went a long way to making him very likeable.  And I think that appeal is what touched a lot of people.  And that's why we're hearing and seeing so much about him.

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2004, 05:56 PM »
As far as all the Repubs who have jumped the bandwagon regarding tribute to Reagan (who I have a great deal of respect for, I just don't respect the ideas I have heard).

Renaming the Pentagon for Reagan - CRAP IDEA
Reagan's face on Mt. Rushmore - CRAP IDEA. I used to live in the shadow of Rushmore. There isn't any viable rock left on the mountain and the idea just sucks.
Reagan on money - CRAP IDEA - sorta.  I don't think he needs to be on a bill, but consider the following...

anyone here remember the Franklin half dollar??
Probably not, I am one of the older members of the SW society in here.  The Franklin turned into the Eisenhower half dollar.  Eisenhower turned into the Kennedy.  So, here we have a coin that has already shown itself as the most changable in the past 40 years.  I say a Reagan half dollar is the most viable option regards money.  

Besides, California hasn't submitted their quarter design yet....why don't they go for it as well???
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2004, 06:14 PM »
Besides, California hasn't submitted their quarter design yet....why don't they go for it as well???

I think we actually have...

On March 29, 2004, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger announced his selection of the Muir Quarter to represent the Golden State in the U.S. Mint's 50 State Quarters ® Program. Garrett Burke's newly minted design will be issued in January 2005, featuring the image of famed writer-naturalist and Sierra Club founder John Muir posed against Yosemite's Half Dome, with a California condor in flight overhead...

The half dollar's not a bad idea though...

SilverZ

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2004, 06:25 PM »

Not to sidetrack the conversation, but that Condor looks like it's going straight for Muir's throat. Not the greatest design I've ever seen.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2004, 10:08 PM »
Cool that they chose Half Dome though, one of the greatest things I have ever laid eyes on...I would have thought Redwoods would have been featured too...although are those Redwoods on the side :P

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2004, 12:35 AM »
Rest In Peace,  :'( :'(

Anyone think we will see President Reagan on any bill?

What presidents do you think we will see on bills in the future?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)