Author Topic: New JD Poll: Where does ROTS rank now?!  (Read 16553 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: New JD Poll: Where does ROTS rank now?!
« Reply #45 on: October 5, 2005, 10:14 AM »
Okay, I'll bite...

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTS
4. ROTJ
5. AOTC
6. TPM
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 5, 2005, 02:47 PM »
1. ESB -- was, is and will always be my favorite
2. ANH -- a very close second, will always hold a special place for me
3.  ROTJ -- further down -- hate, hate, hate the Ewoks -- also felt too much time was spent messing with Jabba -- there were far more important things going on.....  The best parts for me are the scenes between Luke and Vader.
4.  ROTS -- a VERY close 4th behind Jedi -- in fact they are interchangable for me.  Liked the 2nd half much better.
5.  AOTC -- not as bad as it seemed at first -- though there were some missed opportunities.  Felt like Anakin should've been a little older when he started his journey down the dark side.......
6.  TPM -- Way back - wish Anakin was a little older and that there was less goofing off and more substance to the backstory.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2005, 02:48 PM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

SilverZ

« Reply #47 on: October 5, 2005, 09:09 PM »
1 ANH
2 ESB
3 ROTS
4 AOTC
5 ROTJ
6 TPM

Not much new to add here, except to bitch about how much I hate Jedi. It's the only movie that continues to get worse, even after two decades, with each viewing. The emphasis on childish theatrics over the personal, brooding story that ESB worked so hard to set up is utterly inexcusable. The movie's banal execution is like pure horse **** injected by a lead pipe into my brain.

I've slid AOTC up a notch just because, as bad as it can be, it benefits from the lack of any emotional attachment with the characters. It's impossible to get upset about events in a movie when you don't care about the outcome of its characters in the first place. That's a lesser offense than doing the same with ones that you do care about, like in ROTJ.

Suck it, Return of the Jedi!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 6, 2005, 08:04 AM »
lol, and after that bashing of ROTJ, Menace still ranks lower on your list.  You have to write your take on TPM for the record.

:D
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: October 6, 2005, 09:25 AM »
1 - ESB : one of the best movies ever, dark as hell and the best surprise in the whole saga
2 - ANH : 1st SW movie can't forget that new feeling
3 - ROTS : this movie is by far the best of the PT (not really a challenge though) and it's almost ex aequo with ANH; + ewan mcgregor is  obi-wan kenobi
5 - ROTJ : great space battle and jedi fights, but weak on the story side (come on another death star) and ewoks should have been wookiees !
4 - AOTC : man i love the yoda duel and all the clones but what the hell happened with anakin
6 - TPM : hmm two main grudges : jarjar and anakin
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2007, 04:40 PM »
I was just reading through some of the reviews from back when ROTS first came out, and overall how positive they were - even many people naming it their favorite.  I was curious, after a couple of years, how people rank the entire Saga now?  I know I'm sometimes guilty of being "hyped at the moment".  That particularly happened to me when I first saw AOTC.  I thought it was so great, but then less than a year after it was released, I hardly ever watched it on DVD after I first got it.  Not that I dislike it, I just end up watching something else instead.  Looking at it now, I still prefer the OT overall more, but I'm appreciating the PT more and more - with ROTS being my favorite of those three pretty easily.  I'm not sure whether I like AOTC or TPM more.  I like parts of them, but there's parts I don't like too.  I have a problem seperating ROTJ and ANH as well, since I have a soft spot for ROTJ as it was the first movie (and Star Wars movie obviously) I saw in a theater.  Anyways, what do you rankings look like now that we've had a bit of a "break" since the last movie?

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2 (tie). Return of the Jedi
2 (tie). A New Hope
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2007, 04:59 PM »
Did I ever respond to this?  Wow, maybe not. 

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTJ
4. ROTS
5. AOTC
6. TPM

ROTJ AND ROTS are almost interchangeable for me, I hate Ewoks that much.  Really.  I think I prefer the basic premise of the OT more anyway so ROTJ stays at #3 but looking back I didn't mind and actually quite enjoyed ROTS.  There are some really wooden moments in it, but it's vastly superior to AOTC/TPM. 

For the latter two, I recall enjoying both in the theater quite a bit.  Naturally the nit-picking followed shortly thereafter, but I remember feeling the following immediately upon seeing them:

AOTC - too much angst in the romance that ate up way, way, WAY too much of the film.  Editing 80% of that out of the film would make it much more watchable.  I can't help but compare the development of romance between Han/Leia and Anakin/Padme.  C'mon, we know it's ill fated, you don't have to bludgeon the fact home.

TPM - I liked it, but between Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar, what can you expect.  I guess Lloyd wasn't a great actor at the time and there were better options, but the dialogue was painful even the first time in the theater and still is.  Jar Jar is unforgiveable but it's what you Ewok lovers brought upon us, so I blame you. 

There are a lot of redeeming factors in the first two prequel flicks, but they suffer from unforgiveable sins.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Here's my list (doesn't look like I updated two years ago)

1. ESB
2. ROTS
3. ANH
4. AOTC
5. ROTJ
6. TPM

ANH has started to come back up the list for me, namely especially with the Super Special Editions.  I can't get over how awesome the Death Star Battle really is now, its almost perfect. 

I also watched Sith again last week and its still a great movie IMO.  The acting between Padme and Anakin is not too great and to me...that's the only downfall to me.  The last 30-40 minutes is soooo awesome with all of the crap going on and the final duel between Obi and Anakin is a thing of absolute beauty. 

Jedi has never been my favorite movie.  Even as a kid I didn't really care for it.  Mainly because I think the pacing sucks ass.  Huge battle at the beginning and then a huge battle at the end with a whole lot of fluff in the middle with no real danger or peril at all for the heroes.  ESB is so great because you can see all of the heroes walking in to this huge trap.  Same goes for ROTS...the strings are being pulled in a way that you can't look away.  ROTJ has none of that...especially after Han is rescued at the beginning act.  He has no real purpose for the rest of the movie other than to crack smart ass remarks.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2007, 11:27 AM »
I do it like this, mainly because they fluctuate from time-to-time, and I'm wishy-washy and can't make up my mind on things:

Best two:  Star Wars and Empire

Middle two:  Jedi and Sith

Worst two:  Clones and Menace

But if hard-pressed to rank them, I'd probably put Star Wars before Empire, Jedi before Sith, and Clones before Menace.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 08:12 PM »
My rankings now...

1. ROTJ
2. ANH
3. ESB
4. ROTS
5. TPM
6. AOTC

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2007, 11:18 AM »
the originals are a class unto themselves way better than the new ones. I mean they only link in charactres. if the new ones had different names for the charactres it will be hard to think of this as a ongoing saga. i don't know if it was to much time between the movies or just bad writing. the bigest waste of time was TPM with very little to show and hardly any new people to care about.

1. Empire- dark
 2. Return- jabbas palace
 3. hope -cantina
 4. clone- war
 5. revenge- duel
 6. phantom- ?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 11:21 AM by solrac »
He's no good to me open

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 2, 2007, 08:09 PM »
Clone Wars!!!
ESB
AOTC
ANH
TPM
ROTS
ROTJ
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 2, 2007, 09:49 PM »
Clone Wars!!!
ESB
AOTC
ANH
TPM
ROTS
ROTJ

You would put CW in front of ESB? And ROTJ last? Blasphemy I say!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 4, 2007, 11:13 AM »
Well, ESB is pretty cool. They're tied.  ;)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2007, 12:40 PM »
1. ROTS
2. ANH
3. ESB
4. ROTJ
5. AOTC
6. TPM
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda