Author Topic: Can Sith Beat Titanic?  (Read 32391 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Can Sith Beat Titanic?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2005, 08:56 PM »
I find it interesting, atleast.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2005, 10:29 PM »
from yahoo movie news:
Here's a rundown of the top 10 movies for the three- and four-day period, based on estimates compiled by Exhibitor Relations:

1. Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith, $55.1 million; $70.7 million
2. Madagascar, $47.1 million; $61 million
3. The Longest Yard, $48.1 million; $60 million
4. Monster-in-Law, $9.2 million; $11 million
5. Kicking & Screaming, $4.8 million; $6.6 million
6. Crash, $4.7 million; $6 million
7. The Interpreter, $2.2 million; $2.6 million
8. Unleashed, $1.8 million; $2.3 million
9. Kingdom of Heaven; $1.7 million, $2.2 million
10. House of Wax, $1.2 million; $1.6 million

{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2005, 08:17 AM »
Personally I would like to see this movie get past Ep1's $431 million.  Yes, it does not really matter but it's nice to brag it up I guess with other people.  Especially those that like to rip on Star Wars in general.  It's something to shove back in their faces if need be :) 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2005, 02:10 PM »
$271 million and counting after 12 days in the theaters!   :o

Revenge of the Sith has already passed both of the two Harry Potter Sequels and stands at #26 on the US Box Office Rankings after only twelve days!

Only about $19 million to go to catch The Empire Strikes Back (#22), then another $20 million after that to catch Return of the Jedi (#18) and Attack of the Clones (#17)! 

$39 million over the rest of the summer should be extremely easy, and at this rate $400 million and the top 5 all-time are still well within reason.   :)

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Next weekend will be the big gauge. There's a certain mathimatical formula studios use to predict final box office after the second weekend. ROTS is definately on track to break $400 million.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 2, 2005, 01:16 AM »
I expect it to break $400 million (I too want it to break Episode I), but I highly doubt it will beat Titanic.  I hope that it does, but $600 million with all of the summer competition; now that is going to be tough!

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 2, 2005, 09:40 AM »
Amazing how people confuse quantity with quality.

Some here say that they want ROTS to do well, so they can brag about it? If anyone can brag about it, it's GL and everyone involved in making the movie.

We, as fans, have NOTHING to brag about, we just see the movie, we have contributed nothing to it.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #37 on: June 2, 2005, 10:32 AM »
I guess its a little like seeing your favorite sports team do well.

One thing's for sure, I'm seeing a lot of people just talking about Star Wars on the streets these days. Its pretty cool.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 2, 2005, 12:24 PM »

Some here say that they want ROTS to do well, so they can brag about it? If anyone can brag about it, it's GL and everyone involved in making the movie.

We, as fans, have NOTHING to brag about, we just see the movie, we have contributed nothing to it.

Yeah, I don't go around bragging about it really.  I guess that as a bad choice of words.   It's just a nice thing to use in a debate about how Star Wars is crap and only a small group of wackos likes the film.  I might use the box office numbers to indicate it has a broader appeal than what they may stereotypically believe. 

It's not like I go around saying "Yeah baby!  My movie Star Wars made X amount of money at the box office this week.  I am awesome because of that!  Yeah!!!  Woohooo!!!" 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 2, 2005, 12:39 PM »

Who **** in your corn flakes this morning? :o

As for contributing nothing I'll disagree.  We contributed nothing to the creation of the film (though that too may be subjective and open to discussion - why does JarJar have no dialogue?) but we contribute directly to the success of the film.  Perhaps you don't have to pay to enter the theater to watch it, but I and most others do.  We contribute directly to the success of the movie.  It can be critically acclaimed (or not) but without $$$ flowing in, it doesn't really matter. 

And if we really want to get into a debate of quantity over quality, well shouldn't we all be attending the Opera in droves, rather than paying attention to a mindless children's movie?  It's all rather subjective wouldn't you say?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 3, 2005, 12:44 AM »

Kay...easy Tiger.  I want it to do well, because, as Lando (that Scoundrel) said, it's kind of like rooting for your favorite sports team.  It's not as if I feel financial success legitimizes my passion for Star Wars; but it is wonderful to see.  The more succesful Star Wars is, the longer it will be around.   ;D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: June 3, 2005, 01:18 AM »
I'm guilty of cheering on the box office totals as well.  Always have.  It's fun, after all.  I love any kind of stats or lists or some combination of both.

I like Ed's analogy, that it's just akin to rooting for your hometown sports team or something.  Obviously everyone here's a Star Wars fan, so I think it makes sense that we'd all be rooting for it to do as well at the box office as possible.  I may not have anything to do with the movie myself, but I do feel a certain sense of pride as I watch it climb the alltime box office list.  Certainly nothing wrong with that.

As for "quality", I think that's what the ROTS Reviews thread is for.  This one's just a numbers thread really.  Nothing more.  But I agree that quantity (high box office total) doesn't necessarily mean quality.  Obviously Phantom Menace would be an excellent case in point there.  Conversely, so would Empire Strikes Back as well (relatively speaking).  I certainly didn't care for TPM much at all, but I'm still happy to see how well it did at the box office.  Of course, Empire, probably the best flick of the whole Saga, also made the least money of any movie in the Saga.  Go figure.  (pun intended)

I also just dig seeing "Star Wars: ___" scattered all over the Top 10 or Top 20 list whenever I poke my nose into BoxOfficeMojo.com's alltime lists.  That said, we're up to $278,901,370 through the first two weeks.  Not too shabby...  8)

Still won't come close to Titanic though.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 01:28 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 3, 2005, 10:46 AM »
I like the point Matt made on Empire.  I have always found it extremely ironic that Empire is the best one, and it has made the least amount of money.  How can that be explained?  Wild!  I'm guessing that it's a generational thing.  Most of us who say Empire was the best were probably between 6 aand 10 when it came out, and we didn't have the bank to see it as much as we would have liked (however, that didn't stop us from begging our parents everyday!! ;D ).  As we got older and started making money, it was easier to see Menace, because that was more within our immediate control. 
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 10:49 AM by Jedidz23 »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 3, 2005, 12:12 PM »
Well part of the reason to is that the ticket prices are much higher nowadays.  I am not sure what the ESB gross would be now?  But yeah, I loved that movie when I was a kid.  I would have been happy seeing it every night of the week back in the summer of that year. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 3, 2005, 01:28 PM »
I like the point Matt made on Empire.  I have always found it extremely ironic that Empire is the best one, and it has made the least amount of money.  How can that be explained?  Wild!  I'm guessing that it's a generational thing.  Most of us who say Empire was the best were probably between 6 aand 10 when it came out, and we didn't have the bank to see it as much as we would have liked (however, that didn't stop us from begging our parents everyday!! ;D ).  As we got older and started making money, it was easier to see Menace, because that was more within our immediate control. 

Actually, I think Matt's assesment has more to do with quality. Because ESB was a quality film, it made the least money. Not to insult anyone, but the fact is is that people don't always like intellectualy films. They usually go to a movie to have a good time, not to get emotionaly bumbed out or have to think about what's going on. ANH was fun through and through, it was the ultimate crowd pleaser. ESB was a differnt experience, a darker one, that's why it didn't perform as well financially.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."