Author Topic: Well She Did It  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Depmode

• Jedi Initiate
  • Utinni!
    • View Profile
Well She Did It
« on: March 29, 2003, 05:36 PM »
My Girlfriend Story

Well, she just made her first anti-collecting comment to me over the phone... She called me from work to see how I was doing... and I was like "oh I'm fine blah blah blah." Then I brought up I had won an auction a little bit ago on ebay for soem Star Wars figures. She then made this off the wall remark of how when I started collecting again (for those who don't know, i took a break from 99 until this past summer) she knew I liked star wars, and that it was a fun hobby for me. She then went onto say that I can't possibly value everything I have now, cause I am just buying stuff. She then said "you just like to buy." and I was just sorta silent, and then I didn't have anything else to talk about.

So I was in shock for a few minutes, and I was thinking about what she said...  Some of it was slightly true, but other points she had were completely off base.  I like everything I have, but I like some stuff more than others. I like collect a whole series of something If I am going to get anything, so sometimes there might be a figure or two that I am not DIE HARD about, but I still like them.  I don't collect every star wars line out there, and some that I was trying to get into, I've calmed down on.

Dunno, just wanted to voice this out here... How does everyone else feel on this matter. Have they ever questioned themselves and their collecting, and what are peoples lines they will not cross? I know on a personal note, I stopped collecting in the end of 98 start of 99 simply for the fact that I didnt want  to spend money on collecting, but rather on going out with my friends, eating, movies-stuff like that. Now I am in a point in my life where I have some extra money, and I can indulge in a hobby again. At times, I question myself on some stuff I buy, and I don't know why. I get on my own nerves, if that makes any sense. If I buy it, and I like it, that should be the end of it right? But sometimes I can't stop saying to myseld " oh you shouldn't have spent that" and it doesn't help when others, now even my girlfriend, are getting on my nerves about it.

BLAH
« Last Edit: March 29, 2003, 05:38 PM by Depmode »
James
DepmodeETS@aol.com
AIM: DepmodeETS
My lego collection: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Depmode

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Well She Did It
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 06:54 PM »
Quite a predicament, James. I've noticed that many StarWars fans have this issue with their girlfriends... as far as lack of tolerance towards the hobby goes. I've heard others say that the solution is compromise, but since I'm not really in the same circumstance as you, I can't really give any good advice.

I can understand that you sometimes feel bad spending large sums of cash on Star Wars stuff, but I can't understand why you question yourself on why you've done it...
My motto is, if you really like something, and you can afford it, and it's a responsible purchase (example of irresponsible purchase : buying a 35 foot Tantive and not knowing where you're going to park it!).... then buy it and enjoy it!

Anyway, I hope everything smooths over for ya.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Well She Did It
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2003, 07:15 PM »
My thoughts- everyone is entitled to a hobby or something like. You need something like this to enjoy yourself. If you can afford it then I see no reason why you can't have it or why your girlfriend would say "no". To each their own, if she does not like Star Wars that is her own loss ;) and she does not have to have anything to do with it.