Author Topic: Star Tours Thread - Waves 1-3  (Read 81672 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Star Tours wave 3 FINALLY at Disneyland!
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2003, 03:03 PM »
From a different thread:
(And, if you'll remember, I did post here a few weeks ago, asking you about the Star Tours figures. . .)

(11 weeks earlier, right here...)
Great.  Thanks for the offer and the info, Matt.  Let me know what you find when you next head out there, huh?  :)  (Oh, and card condition doesn't matter to me, as I'll be opening them up anyway.)

Thanks again.

D'oh!  Totally brainfarted on that Matt...  Sorry!   :-[  Just went down there yesterday for the first time in almost two months, and my senile ol' brain forgot to drop you a line first about it.  All 9 droids are still there in abundance, so give me a shout if you want me to snag any of 'em for you on my next trip down.  They're still $10.77 each with tax...

Or... if you do want some, you could just have my "openers" which I've yet to open, and I can just snag me some more on my next visit there.  LMK!   :-*

Anyone else need any of the Star Tours droids?  The MOMC ones are slim pickin's, but I usually manage to scrape up a few of them after searching through their whole stash.

I guess the same goes for the Indiana Jones figures too, though I haven't looked for those yet, so I'm not sure what the availability (or price) is on those right now since they're still pretty new...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2003, 03:39 PM »
I split the Indiana Jones figure discussion off from this thread, and over into the Other Toy Lines forum where I merged it with Sharon's previous thread on the topic right here.  So jam on over there if you want to discuss or request some of these figures...  :-*

- Matt
« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 04:39 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2003, 03:48 PM »
D'oh!  Totally brainfarted on that Matt...  Sorry!   :-[  Just went down there yesterday for the first time in almost two months, and my senile ol' brain forgot to drop you a line first about it.  All 9 droids are still there in abundance, so give me a shout if you want me to snag any of 'em for you on my next trip down.  They're still $10.77 each with tax...

Or... if you do want some, you could just have my "openers" which I've yet to open, and I can just snag me some more on my next visit there.  LMK!   :-*

Hey, no big deal, man.  And, actually, my sister and her family are headed to Disney World next month and she told me they'd look for them for me.  On top of that, I can't afford them right now, anyway.  But--it's cool, and I'll definitely let you know if they don't come through for me next month for whatever reason.

But also, I caught a blurb at Rebelscum's main page today about some site having the Star Tours figures for $5.99 each.  Lemme see:

News from PlanetActionFigure.com
Ben: PlanetActionFigure.com writes: "We have in stock . . . the Star Tours figures priced at $5.99 each.

Sure enough. . .

Star Tours figures at Planet Action Figure

At the link, they have "Card Not Mint" versions of DL-X2, R4-M9, and WEG-1618 for $5.99 each.

Looks like that's all the Star Tours figs they've got right now--but that's not bad if  you're looking for some cheap openers.

Thanks again, Matt.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2003, 04:32 PM »
But also, I caught a blurb at Rebelscum's main page today about some site having the Star Tours figures for $5.99 each.

Oy!  I just picked up a few of those same figures for some fellas yesterday...   :-\  But they were looking for C-9+ MOMC stuff, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.  But yeah, that's certainly a better alternative for the loose collectors who might be looking for those figures, for sure!  Disney's $10 asking price definitely sucks!

You know where to find me if your family doesn't come through though Matt...   ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 04:36 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2003, 10:31 AM »
You know where to find me if your family doesn't come through though Matt...   ;)

You know, I just wanted to update this thread, for no apparent reason at all, other than to make my mandatory non-Watto's Junkyard appearance for the month:

Well, the fam came through, and hooked me up with the three astromech droids a couple of weeks ago, which I promptly opened up and have displayed in my modest astromech collection.

Now, for a mini-review:

While I'm of the thought that the more droids, the merrier, these three left me with kind of a lukewarm feeling.  For what they are, they're fine, I guess.  I would have preferred that the R3-unit was in the R2-Q5 sculpt, and not the Naboo Escape R2-D2.  The sculpt of the R4-unit is just okay--I actually like it better than the POTJ R4-M9 it came from, since the earlier figure, for me, has a really loose third leg.

However, the paint jobs of those two is way-too cartoony for my tastes, personally.  The R4-unit's turqoise/aqua-on-white is just too non-movie for me, and there's so much blue all over the R3-droid, that it just doesn't look right.  Mind you, I've never been on any of the Star Tours rides, so while I'm sure they look fairly similar to their ride counterparts, they just don't look movie-enough for me.

But then, there's the R5-D2.  And really, the only thing "wrong" with this figure, in my opinion, is that there's not a real R5-D4 resculpt out there, which, of course, isn't this figure's fault!  :)
I dig the R5-head sculpt, and the battle-damage on the body.  And, of course, the light-brown wash over the whole figure really gives it that whole "lived-in" look.  It looks like it could have been just off-screen, out of the camera's view, during the "purchase of the droids" scene from the first film.  Really nicely done, and it gives me hope that a certain other, bad-motivator-havin' R5-droid is in the works up in Rhode Island. . .

Anyway, thanks again, Matt. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2003, 03:57 PM »
Well, the fam came through, and hooked me up with the three astromech droids a couple of weeks ago, which I promptly opened up and have displayed in my modest astromech collection.

Anyway, thanks again, Matt. . .

Glad to hear you finally got 'em Matt!  You know where to find me if/when Wave 4 comes out and you need any...   ;)

- M

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2003, 03:31 AM »
Glad to hear you finally got 'em Matt!  You know where to find me if/when Wave 4 comes out and you need any...   ;)

- M

Oh, will do--but only if they include some astromechs.  None of those crappy bird-lookin' things, or Short Circuit Number Five droids for me, thanks. . .

8)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Star Tours wave 4?
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2004, 02:59 AM »
You know where to find me if/when Wave 4 comes out...

Just read over at GH tonight that this may indeed be happening now.  Looks like they dug up a couple early prototype pictures, one of which definitely looks like it's one of the Star Tours droids, but both of which look totally stupid to be honest.  I wonder if they'll have a third droid in this wave like the other three.  If they do, hopefully it'll have another neutral type of astromech like the R3, R4 and R5's in each of the other waves.  Not at all excited about these two, so I'll probably be passing on them.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2004, 11:57 AM »
If they come out I would like X2 of each.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Star Tours thread... Wave 4 coming soon?
« Reply #144 on: February 2, 2004, 07:18 PM »
Yeah, those really do look pretty lame.  They better at least spice it up with another astromech!  Ugh.  Not looking forward to "having to" add these ugly things to my collection.   :-\  Don't recall ever seeing either of those "droids" at the Disneyland Star Tours, so they must be from one of the other parks' rides...

Got your order there David (that was for me, right?)...  As we hear more info on these, feel free to give me a shout here for your Star Tours fix again everyone.   ;)

- Matt

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 3, 2004, 10:02 AM »
Blech :-X

Pass, but thanks for the offer of help Matt.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2004, 11:40 AM »
GH has some new pics up...

Star Tours Wave 4???

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2004, 11:50 AM »
“Number 5 ... is alive!”  ;D

SilverZ

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2004, 02:29 PM »
Hasbro, meet Bottom of the Barrel. Barrel, meet Hasbro.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2004, 02:00 PM »
God, those look atrocious!  I had high hopes for the Star Tours line, and getting some cool looking droids out of it, but they've gone completely too far with some of these pieces of crap!  Johnny 5?  C'mon...   ::)  If Hasbro's going to start making characters from other movies now, then at least give us a senator E.T. figure finally!

Highly probable that I'm just going to skip wave 4 here.  This just ain't Star Wars to me.