It also just ocurred to me tonight that the dude impersonating Locke must be the guy who takes mystery forms on the island (Jack's dead dad, Echo's dead brother, Kate's horse, etc.)
And, I think it was pretty clear after last night, that he's also smokey too... which is awesome.
It seems like there's two timelines, similar to the multiverse in DC Comics.
Yeah, it's definitely more of a "flash sideways" thing going on with two distinct timelines.
When they nuked the pocket, it caused some sort of divergent timeline, which appears to have a lot of different subtle changes from the original...
- the island is now on the ocean floor
- without the island/swan station, Desmond's boat apparently never crashed there - did he make it back to Penny in this timeline?
- people sitting in different spots on the plane
- Shannon staying in Australia instead of going on the plane
- where's Mr. Eko, Libby, AnnaLucia? Not on the plane anymore?
- and, from the video they showed at SDCC, Kate killed a different guy in that explosion that she was arrested for, not her mom's BF
Definitely looking forward to seeing if this "additional" timeline will somehow merge with the island one or if it wll somehow replace "our" existing timeline.
Oh, and I do have to say that the MIB/FakeLocke/Smokey was a bad-ass - killing Jacob's bodyguards and then punking Richard and dragging him off... not to mention the temple (finally the "taken" people plot point comes back) and all the stuff that happened with Sayd (dead/alive). I really can't wait to see what happens next when smokey comes calling.