Author Topic: Anakin's Immaculate Conception, Not So Holy?  (Read 15114 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: Anakin's Immaculate Conception, Not So Holy?
« Reply #45 on: June 2, 2005, 10:29 AM »
Ah, nicely done (English myself)!  :)

Well, I went to a liberal arts university, and graduated from the honors program. It included a lot of classical studies, modern condition, etc.

My degree happens to be for graphic design, but its also an honors degree.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 3, 2005, 01:18 AM »
Cool.  Your posts are intelligent, so I figured it was something like that.   :)

I am 5 classes away from my second Bachellor's in English Education myself.  I'm thinking a few units about Star Wars here and there for my future classes might prove beneficial.   ;)

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 3, 2005, 06:53 AM »
Funny, you talk about self-fulfilling prophecies, but all these are not of that kind.

A self fullfilling prophecy is like saying when it rains, I prophecise we shall become wet or something like that.

The fact Anakin, in his quest to find the power to save Padmé, becomes the one who actually kills Padmé is not a SFP. It's mostly a tragic aspect.

If Plagueis is indeed responsible for Anakin's birth, or Sidious is, the fact that, although Anakin established the Sith's rule and purge of the Jedi, he also is the single factor in destroying the Sith, as prophecised, is not a self-fulfilling prophecy.

SFP's have that "Yeah well duh..." aspect. The Jedi prophecy, Anakin's destiny, both are not.

So despite all those degrees, all barking up the wrong tree.

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 3, 2005, 10:19 AM »
It is how you defined it, but it is also when you become that which you most fear.  I have also taken some psychology classes dude.   ;)  Anakin becomes what he most fears, someone who will take away everything that he loves.  That is the tragic element of his character, and the self-fulfilling prophecy is fuel for the proverbial fire.  SFP's do not necessarily have a "Duh" aspect.  When you worry about something, and it comes true, that is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  You essentially will something to fruition, and allow yourself to go down the path you most fear.

If Plagueis is indeed responsible for Anakin's birth, or Sidious is, the fact that, although Anakin established the Sith's rule and purge of the Jedi, he also is the single factor in destroying the Sith, as prophecised, is not a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yes, that is correct.  This aspect is not a self-fulfilling prophecy, it is just part of the character arc.

Good discussion.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 10:24 AM by Jedidz23 »

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 3, 2005, 01:18 PM »
Funny, you talk about self-fulfilling prophecies, but all these are not of that kind.

A self fullfilling prophecy is like saying when it rains, I prophecise we shall become wet or something like that.

The fact Anakin, in his quest to find the power to save Padmé, becomes the one who actually kills Padmé is not a SFP. It's mostly a tragic aspect.

SFP's have that "Yeah well duh..." aspect. The Jedi prophecy, Anakin's destiny, both are not.

So despite all those degrees, all barking up the wrong tree.

This is what I was going off of.

"A self-fulfilling prophecy is a prediction that, in being made, actually causes itself to become true."

I guess it doesn't adequately describe what we're talking about though. I agree, good discussion! When I've got a little more time, I'll contribute more.

Offline MommySkywalker

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 8, 2005, 12:52 AM »
So what do you think? Who is Anakin's "father", is it Palpatine or Plagus? Or is it neither and just one of those mysteries we will never know, like the name of Yoda's species.
=================

While Lucas maintains that Anakin's conception parallels Biblical lore, he also says that the real story to Anakin's conception is ultimately left up to the audience.  (Rolling Stone interview)  "I" choose to believe that it was a miraculous conception, and that Anakin could've ended up on either side -- that his choices made him into what he became, not some pre-ordained destiny.  But, that's just my opinion!

Lisa, aka Mommy Skywalker
Remember: concentrate on the moment.
Feel, don't think; use your instincts.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 8, 2005, 10:49 AM »
So what do you think? Who is Anakin's "father", is it Palpatine or Plagus? Or is it neither and just one of those mysteries we will never know, like the name of Yoda's species.
=================

While Lucas maintains that Anakin's conception parallels Biblical lore, he also says that the real story to Anakin's conception is ultimately left up to the audience.  (Rolling Stone interview)  "I" choose to believe that it was a miraculous conception, and that Anakin could've ended up on either side -- that his choices made him into what he became, not some pre-ordained destiny.  But, that's just my opinion!

Lucas admits to referencing bibilical lore as well as mythology from other cultures, but his intent with the virgin birth here wasn't to parallel the bible. The virgin birth is a concept that Christianity took from older religions. Lucas has studied many world religions, and used references to them in Star Wars.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: June 8, 2005, 10:53 AM »
I posted the Rolling Stone stuff on page 3 if you are interested, I'm on The Force bandwagon myself
« Last Edit: June 8, 2005, 10:54 AM by Scott »

Offline MommySkywalker

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 8, 2005, 03:00 PM »
I posted the Rolling Stone stuff on page 3 if you are interested, I'm on The Force bandwagon myself
==================

I saw your Rolling Stone post not long after I posted about same -- darn me for not reading ahead!!  ;0) 

Lisa, aka Mommy Skywalker
Remember: concentrate on the moment.
Feel, don't think; use your instincts.