Author Topic: VOTC Returns in 2006!  (Read 29557 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
VOTC Returns in 2006!
« on: May 30, 2005, 09:25 PM »
At least according to the Swami

No real confirmations on anything we didn't already know though such as the TIE Fighter Matt told us about last Comic Con and the Tonnika Sisters

Peer in to the Crystal Ball
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:06 AM by Jeff »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC and OTC Returns in 2006!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 09:30 PM »
I was just about to post this! I'm so excited. I'd love to see more VOTC figures, hopefully we get cool stuff like SA Scout Troopers and Snowtroopers, SA Admiral Ackbar, a NEW Bib Fortuna. Sadly, I see more Han/Luke/Leia resculpts and/or repaints. :-\
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 09:32 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 11:27 PM »
I have a list of 12 VOTC I'd like to see done (and not limited to the original Vintage run either)

Grand Moff Tarkin
R5-D4
Hem Dazon
Uncle Owen

Bespin Luke
General Veers
Major Bren Derlin
Snowtrooper SA

Han Solo (Endor)
Scout Trooper SA
Chief Chirpa
Leia Boushh

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:41 AM »
ya know I'm not sure I want to see VOTC return. sure we got cool figures and sweet looking cardbacks, but it would be another excuse for Hasbro to overcharge on $5 figures. The VOTC line was cool for the one time deal, but it's time to put it away and just work on superior figures at the $5 price range.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 09:02 AM »
I'm hoping we see some sort of combination of that as well, VOTC "style" figures on regular $5-$6 pricepoint cards.  The vintage repo cards would be great too, but if cutting the clamshell out would save a few bucks, that would be fine with me.  I'm excited to hear that the VOTC, or some form of it, might be returning in 2006...as well as the OTC style line.  I am guessing that means more repacks, something that Mike from GH said as well in the forums over there.  I guess after the success of the initial OTC line, that is to be expected.  As long as the ratio of new to repacked figures is a little better, I don't mind too much I guess.

The thought of them redoing the entire vintage line in VOTC style is pretty cool, although I'm not sure that will happen.  We might see more of them, but some figures (Cloud Car Pilot, Lando Skiff, etc.) have just recently gotten figure remakes that are pretty much as good as they need to be.  Maybe those will be repacked if they are indeed doing each character from the vintage line.  And, as much as I like the OT, I don't see them totally cutting out prequel figures next year either.  We'll probably see a combination of things, which would be cool.  Maybe VOTC "style" figures, on normal OTC style cardbacks, with characters (new and repacked) from each of the six movies included.  Either way, it is just exciting to hear about some news looking towards 2006.

I like the figure thoughts many of you have already thrown out there.  I'd really like to see nice, VOTC style versions the main characters like Han, Luke, and Leia (particularly Endor of all three, Stormtrooper Han/Luke, and possibly repack the earlier VOTC versions as well if necessary).  Have some more super articulated troop figures (ala VOTC Stromie) put out there, like the Snowtroopers and Biker Scouts.  Then finish out the line with other supporting characters, I know I'd really like to see a new "old" Tarkin now as well.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 09:09 AM »
It would be great to see the return of both VOTC and OTC.

Personally I would like to at least see these for VOTC:  

POTF with Coin - Luke Stormtrooper and Han Solo with Carbonite or even Luke Poncho, Imperial Dignitary (won't sell but like to see it)

ROTJ - Bib Fortuna, Emperor, Han Endor Trench Coat, Leia Poncho or Boush

ESB - AT-AT Commander, Snowtrooper, Luke Bespin, Han Bespin

ANH - Tusken Raider, Hammerhead, Ponda Baba, Greedo - I know that is too many cantina guys but that is what I would like to see. 

For OTC:  

Tonnika Sisters, R5-D4, Hem Dazon, Cliff from Cheers, Chief Chirpa, Hermi Odle, Yarna...among others we have not had before or need a resculpt like Tarkin.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 10:11 AM »
If they do decide to do the complete vintage run in VOTC form, that will more than likely be the point where I give up collecting the 4" line altogether.  I agree with Corran that it is seemingly a way for Hasbro to charge 10 dollars a figure as opposed to 5 dollars, and I just can't get excited about yet another version of Hoth Luke or the Emperor at this point (especially with the Evolutions Palpatine looking damn near perfect).

If they want to do VOTC-level quality figures at the 5 dollar price point, that would be fine.  Hey, most of the Collection 2 ROTS figures are already at or beyond VOTC quality at a 5 dollar price point.  I'm beginning to think that the elevated pricepoint for the Target Exclusive Clone *was* an attempt to gauge market reaction to a higher price point (even Hasbro's 9.99 SRP was at VOTC levels), and we bought into it.

So yeah, if it comes to pass that VOTC returns in a big way and the basic figure line is just repacks, I think I'll be offering my entire collection to anyone willing to give me a good price for it and willing to come pick it up.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 10:59 AM »
Why would you get rid of your entire collection that you already have because VOTC would be $10?  I am not understanding that part of your post? 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Post ROTS-New VOTC
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 11:50 AM »
I was reading the "Swami" over at another site, and he said that the VOTC will come back next year.  While I'm gald we may be getting some great new sculpts, what I'd really like to see is figures not released by Kenner.

I would love to see a VOTC style Tarkin , on a brand new, old style card.  He was one figure we always dreamed of a kids.  I think that the Sandtrooper, or the Rebel Fleet Trooper would be great additions too.

I'd also love to see some prequel charcters in the mix.  I SA Qui-Gon on a vinatge style card would be lots of fun.

Any comments?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Post ROTS-New VOTC
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 11:58 AM »
I would have preferred that Hasbro expand the quality offered in the VOTC line to the entire line itself.

The Evolutions sets which are essentially 3 VOTC quality figures for $19.99 shows us that they can accomplish great articulation, soft goods and outstanding sculpts at a price-point lower than $10. I really DON'T need vintage repro card-backs - even for my MOC collection. I would rather see them at this point release as 12 figure series dedicated to the PT with cardbacks that mimic the vintage Kenner ones.

I guess when I hear VOTC, I just cringe at the idea of each figure costing my collection $20 (one to open and one MOC) instead of roughly $11 - $12 for two.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
Re: Post ROTS-New VOTC
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 12:05 PM »
I'd be interested in a SA tusken raider; Beru and Owen lars as well as Cliegg Lasrs. A SA C-3P0, with all kinds or movable articculation; SA Jango Fett to go with Boba; reissued mass available sandcrawler - I don't care that it's a little underscale; twin pod cloud car!!!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 12:59 PM »
I'll buy...I won't necessarily like it but I will buy them.  I think the packaging, star case and the quality of figures justifies a $8 price point...$10 is stretching it but I picked up a couple of figures on clearance for $4 and I think the same will happen with VOTC 2

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 02:11 PM »
I really like the idea of sticking with what works and what the collectors want.

And yes, they need to focus on hitting a $5-6 SRP otherwise I think they will lose a lot of collectors.

I know I'm on the brink.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 02:17 PM »
Hmmm...

I LOVE this idea, my wallet however doesn't.   :-\

If they can promise us they will slow down, then that is cool.  If they start releasing the vOTC-2 at the same rate as RotS (60+ figures in 6 months), I'll go crazy.

If they can break it down to 4-6 new figures once every other month, then I'm OK with it (even at $10 a figure w/ the fancy clamshell).

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 02:23 PM »
That is kind of how I feel as well Jeff.  Not that I (or most people, probably) don't like as many new figures as possible...but the ROTS onslaught has been killer.  Don't get me wrong, as soon as I'm caught up I'm ready to look for the next figures, but things have really, really been coming fast here this year.  I think I've already spent more this year than all of last year, and we're not even halfway through quite yet.  I'd rather see a bit of a slower pace, even if it was more along the lines of the 2004 Saga line.  A wave (themed or otherwise) every month, consisting of 3-4 figures would be ok with me, especially at the $5-6 pricepoint.  If they are going to be $10 a pop, they can spread them out even further ;).