Author Topic: VOTC Returns in 2006!  (Read 29565 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC and OTC Returns in 2006!
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2005, 09:13 AM »
I'm really hoping that we see the return of the VOTC style line as well, just because that might be a great way for us to get SA versions that seem to be missing from the rumor lists (Endor Han/Luke/Leia, Scout Troopers, Snowtroopers, X-Wing Luke, etc.)  There was a bit of a cryptic comment in that RS report today on the Yavin wave, mentioning the absence of a new X-Wing Luke in the wave but saying we'll get it elsewhere.  That could possibly lean towards more VOTC figures, or maybe something else entirely (Evolutions?).  I really hope we get some info on that sometime soon though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 1, 2005, 01:36 PM »
Rebelscum now has another "411" up regarding the future of the VOTC figures.  Sounds like there's more on the way, and their listing includes 5 new figures....

Tusken Raider
X-Wing Luke Skywalker
Greedo
Han Solo - Endor
Biker Scout

More details at the linky above.  Doesn't sound as if any ESB figures are known of at this time, but they are saying "that doesn't mean they won't show up later on".  Kind of up in the air, although 5 VOTC figures does seem like a bit of an odd number to put out.  Either way, I'm not complaining if we can get SA versions of Endor Han, X-Wing Luke, Scout Trooper, and the Tusken.  They can fill out the cases by repackaging Stormtroopers and some of the other greats from the first run of VOTC...as long as the "new" figures aren't shortpacked because of it.  Who knows, nice to get some news on this though, hopefully it is true.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2005, 02:01 PM by mosnab »

SilverZ

« Reply #77 on: November 1, 2005, 02:14 PM »
A soft goods Tusken makes a lot of sense, so thumbs up there.

An X-Wing Fighter Luke that didn't suck would be huge, huge, huge for me. He's my most nostalgic vintage figures. Lots of memories of that figure and that card. I'd love to see an SA version.

Greedo. I suppose in terms of nostalgia, he's the number one alien to be done, so I understand the choice. But really, what can be done with him that hasn't already been accomplished in the other versions? I thought the OTC release with the quality redeco was more than I'd ever have expected out of the character. So "meh" on this one for me.

Han Endor is a relief. I'll expect some goodness here.

Biker Scout? Its about friggin' time. Good stuff.

So, I take it the ESB stuff is just missing off their list here. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Imperials on here so I'll keep my fingers crossed that we see an SA Snowtrooper show up. I'd guess that there would be a core character lurking in the wave, probably Leia. The only new Leia from ESB that would make sense would be a Hoth version, I'd think.

Very interesting news.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: November 1, 2005, 02:17 PM »
although 5 VOTC figures does seem like a bit of an odd number to put out. 

I can see the case assortment already...

Wave 1:
4x X-Wing Pilot Luke
2x Tusken
2x Greedo

Wave 2:
1x Biker Scout
2x Endor Han
3x X-Wing Pilot Luke
1x Tusken
1x Greedo

:P

If these rumors they are posting turn out to be true, I'll have mixed feelings.  I love the idea of more vOTC figures, but I'll get really frustrated if I have to keep shelling out $20-25 per figure (1 carded, 1 opener).   :(

Something about doing more of these kind of cheapens the first set that we have - they start to lose their uniqueness and start to look more and more like a money grab by Hasbro to inflate the cost of the figures.

They can give us a SA RotS Clone Trooper for $5, but a SA RotJ Biker Scout will cost $11?   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #79 on: November 1, 2005, 02:24 PM »
The Biker Scout and Endor Han are great news, but I was hoping for something about PT characters.  Maybe there will be yet (and a Snowtrooper).  Hammerhead would have made more sense in this line than in the other if you ask me.  I think they've covered Greedo fine.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #80 on: November 1, 2005, 02:25 PM »

They can give us a SA RotS Clone Trooper for $5, but a SA RotJ Biker Scout will cost $11?   :-\

Good point!
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #81 on: November 1, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Yep, good point there Jeff. :-\

Tusken -- hells yeah!

Greedo -- sounds good.

SA biker scout -- yes please

Endor Han and X-Wing Luke -- meh, whatever
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 1, 2005, 02:29 PM »
And how about the mail away George Lucas?  I like the idea but I'm not excited about the lack of flannel.  Stormtrooper armour just doesn't make sense...

???

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #83 on: November 1, 2005, 02:30 PM »
I welcome the Endor Han, i've wanted a new one for a long time with soft goods trench coat.

But instead of Greedo & X-Wing Luke I would have like a Death Squad Commander or maybe a Bespin Fatigues Luke
« Last Edit: November 1, 2005, 02:31 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #84 on: November 1, 2005, 02:32 PM »
^^ Ruiner, I was just about to post about that.

"Remember the George Lucas figure mentioned previously? Word on the street is it could be offered as a mail in figure through the VOTC line. It would require five VOTCproof of purchases, and we might find the offer printed or stickered on the cards. Sadly, we also hear that the Lucas figure will once again be playing 501st and forgoing his standard flannel armour in favour of Stormtrooper armour. Maybe if we pretend we didn't hear that it'll go away..."

That's so bogus. >:( Five VOTCs is insane. Why not make it ten basic figures--you'll get a lot more takers.

And stormtrooper with a George Lucas head ... big whoop-de-doo. ::) Why not Papanoida?? They're always talking about how hard it was to get GL to approve Jorg Sacul, and he's not too likely to do another. Yet here they are doing some stoopid headswap?? I figured there was a chance for Papanoida though, since he's a legitimate character.....

Bah, I say! ???
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 1, 2005, 02:36 PM »
They can give us a SA RotS Clone Trooper for $5, but a SA RotJ Biker Scout will cost $11?

This is a great point Jeff, and I agree.  That being said, if this lineup turns out to be true I can't wait to get my hands on them.  I've wanted a new, SA Endor Han for quite some time, and the Biker Scout and X-Wing Luke are high on my list as well.  I'm happy with all that we've heard so far, and if this is the only way we'll get them, then that's how it is I guess.

I'm wondering about the lack of prequel figures here as well, but I guess the "VOTC" is really a vintage Star Wars type of line.  Looking at what we've gotten this past year, many of the "main" characters have been covered through the ROTS or Evolutions line, that are pretty much to the VOTC standard (ROTS Pilot Obi, Evo Anakin, SA/Evo Clonetroopers, ROTS/Evo Dooku, ROTS Evo Palps, ROTS Evo Maul, etc.  There can always be improvements, and there are a whole lot of other figures I'd like to see done...but maybe they can be snuck into the basic line, or bring back the Evolution sets.  If we could see TPM/AOTC Obi-Wans, Qui-Gon, Jango Fett, and more Padmes, I think it would go a long way towards satisfying the "VOTC" theme for the prequels.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 1, 2005, 02:46 PM »
Hasbro claims it's the packaging that adds the extra $4.  I could care less about the packaging - I say let VOTC die - it was a cool idea at the time because of the DVD release.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: November 1, 2005, 03:30 PM »
Hasbro claims it's the packaging that adds the extra $4.  I could care less about the packaging - I say let VOTC die - it was a cool idea at the time because of the DVD release.

I am inclined to agree.  Like I said above, the vOTC line-up ROCKED, but that's in the past. 

After the spending deluge of RotS this year, I am no longer so keen on the idea of doling out an extra $5 just for fancy packaging for a new line of vOTC. 

$10 per figure sucks, especially for my opener figures, and even more especially when I know they could just give us the figures as basics for $5.

Plus in this era of repacks/repaints, it will suck even more when we learn that the vOTC Endor Han is just the same vOTC ANH Han with a new soft goods trenchcoat...   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 1, 2005, 03:59 PM »

Ayup, I'll agree with that. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #89 on: November 1, 2005, 04:26 PM »
I would love to see some prequel figures given the VOTC treatment, only because I really want to see prequel characters on classic big picture cards.  That alone would hook me.

Maybe they should get rid of the VOTC title, and just call it something silly like  Star Wars Premium Grade.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com