Author Topic: Clones and new sculpts. Is it necessary?  (Read 7524 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Clones and new sculpts. Is it necessary?
« on: June 1, 2005, 12:19 PM »
All of the new clones we get are new sculpts. This is one case where I'm of the opinion that Hasbro could just rehash the SA bodies for each one to give them all maximum articulation. Why do you supose this isn't already done? Do you even agree?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 04:07 PM by JediMAC »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Re: Clones and new sculps. Is it necessary?
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2005, 12:30 PM »
I absolutely think that every clone should be made using either the #6 Clone Trooper or #41 Clone Trooper (or #33 Clone Commander if the figure has a skirt).   Clearly, Hasbro has shown that they are capable of making a great clone trooper with lots of articulation, so I have no idea why they would rework some clones to reduce the amount of articulation.

Why does Commander Bacara have such crappy articulation?  If they wanted to give him a quick-draw feature, it is inconceivable to me that they would not use the #6 Quick-Draw Clone.  What are they thinking?  I'm definitely going to do a parts swap when this guy comes out and then use the remaining body for some sort of dead and mangled clone. 
The Jet Pack clone trooper wouldn't have been such a rip off had they used a SA clone body. 
I really can't figure out the logic of giving us so many different clones with inferior articulation.   >:( ???
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2005, 12:42 PM »
I agree with Darth Anton - I'm completely confused as to why the sculpt varies between the SA Clone Trooper, the Clone Commander, Commander Bacarra, JetPack Trooper and the AT-TE Gunner - the base for all of them is a regular set of Clonetrooper Armor - after that they just get the add-on of the should pauldron or a skirt or in some cases both.

I haven't a clue why this wasn't what Hasbro did. It seems to me the more times they produce the SA Clone body parts the cheaper the initial cost per produced figure comes for the initial design cost that went into developing the SA Clone parts.

The skirt, shoulder pauldrons, visor and communication attenae could all have been snap-ons designed to work around the SA Clonetrooper body.

In fact - I'll have to double-check tonight, but I think the one thing that is consistent among all of the clones is their hands - so if you're going to do that, why stop at just the hands?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2005, 01:11 PM »

In fact - I'll have to double-check tonight, but I think the one thing that is consistent among all of the clones is their hands - so if you're going to do that, why stop at just the hands?

Not even the hands are the same ::)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2005, 01:55 PM »
I don't know why either... if they have a perfect sculpt, why not keep using it?

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2005, 05:35 PM »
I agree Anton, and think the #41's the best sculpt to use (even with the slot in the back...  Hell just include packs for them even, even if not from the films...  it just makes the figure more fun and a nice new/different accessory).

I think the heads are the only thing to resculpt, unless there's an armor difference, at this point.  The AT-TE Gunner could even be reused to make a new Clone riding the BARC's (Neyo's group) or something.  I think Hasbro nailed the sculpt the first time around pretty good though...  So for Utapau grunts, or Coruscant, or most any variant of the Clone, the SA Body works pretty good.  Only the Commanders, and a few of the more specialized Clones would need a whole new sculpt (Gree's men on Kashyyk, obviously, would require a new sculpt, but hell, reuse it for a ROTJ Biker Scout!).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 01:33 AM »
I wasn't really bothered by the different sculpts until I cracked open Bacara today...then I was peeved.  Especially since the parts are not readily swapable

I'm not sure why they sunk all of the money they did in to figures that should be slight variations of each other.  I would guess the CGI models were all the same size, so why make different figure molds/parts for each Clone?

Especially when its so poorly done like Bacara is >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 03:14 AM »
I got Bacarra today too...   :-\

Not too swift...  However, after rethinking this topic I'd take ONE resculpt of the Clone...  Something that was only an improvement.  SA Clone articulation + AT-TE Gunner's hip articulation + removable helmet ala the TE Gunner...  A lot on one figure, but that'd be the only thing I'd want to see "new" in the basic Clone sculpt...

Beyond that, I still think the #41 Clone could be the perfect base, and would've made Bacarra worth something more than a one-time-buy kind of figure (or two if you want his accessories to make a SA Bacarra).  He's lacking for certain...  I'm not sure why certain figures are losing the leg articulation.  He has, the Neimodian Warrior, Wookiee Warrior...  Seems like a big step backwards to me, especially since the Wookiee's legs swivel even.  Bacarra's definitely the weakest of the Clones thus far though and I hope his grunts (when/if they arrive) are substantially better.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 12:46 PM »
Irony is in the air. We complain about the new scuplts for the basic figure clones and the deluxe gives us the same deluxe sculpts that we don't want. ???
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Yeah, but they sucked.   

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 08:31 PM »
Has anyone tried swapping some parts with Bacarra to make him more articulated?  I know his head and shoulder thing fits pretty well on the CC and on the SA Clone, but I'm not sure about the skirt.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 09:43 PM »
I haven't, as I only got one Bacara when I was out (only saw one too), so I am not sure what may be possible...  I will say that action features tend to throw a wrench into swapping parts.  It may not be possible, or at least it may not be simple.   :-\

SilverZ

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 11:56 PM »
Has anyone tried swapping some parts with Bacarra to make him more articulated?  I know his head and shoulder thing fits pretty well on the CC and on the SA Clone, but I'm not sure about the skirt.

I've done a full conversion. I took the head, shoulder pauldron, skirt, and left hand from Bacarra and transplanted them onto an SA clone body. Everything works well except for the head, which sits a tiny bit too low on the socket for my taste, but overall I'm happier with the SA Bacarra than the Quick Draw Crapfest version. At least Hasbro is being consistent with part sizing so novices like me can do these easy swaps:

(Sorry for the crappy shot. SA on left, QD on right.)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 12:08 AM »
That's great!  Does the skirt come right off?  I'm looking at mine and not seeing a notch like on the CC.  And I wonder if the head would ride any higher on the #6 clone or even the jet pack one.  Great job.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 01:33 AM »
There is a belt "buckle" mechanism (peg/hole) just like on the Red Clone Commander, and the skirt should THEORETICALLY come off...  However...

Hasbro saw fit, at least on my figure, to glue the belt to his waist and his ass cheeks.  Why, I do not know...  Kind of defeats the purpose of making the belt have the removable feature/buckle and all that, but hey, it's Hasbro.  They're goofy.

BTW Jared, your Bacara rocks and I'm not hell bent on doing that too.  The way the helmet rests on the neck doesn't bug me in the slightest.  May do that headswap real quick just to see if I'm just not seeing the crappiness.  :)  Looks cool by me though.