Author Topic: ROTS DVD Nov 1st  (Read 25815 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: ROTS DVD Nov 1st
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 07:54 PM »
And thus the Sooper Ultra Definitive version would be coming in a year or so.

You may be right.  But is there a really a lot more they could add for "features" to a new set?  Anything in particular you guys might be hoping for?

I can't speak for the others, but I was referring to the oft-rumored "Prequel Special Editions" with CGI Yoda in TPM, Dooku inserted/mentioned in TPM, reinserted deleted scenes, et cetera. What those changes may be is up for debate obviously, but I'd be more surprised if George didn't tweak something, even if the changes end up being quite minor.

But I don't envision him altering the OT beyond the 2004 version ... after all, he's had two chances to make all the changes his heart desired.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 10:35 AM »
Glad to get the confirmation on the DVDs, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.  This was by far my favorite of the prequels, and seems more inline with the OT...at least with me.  It will be nice to have the entire Saga, in clear DVD form, at home to watch all together now if we want to.  Definitely looking forward to picking it up.  I think if we see any box sets it will be like Valin Kenobi mentioned, basically the existing DVDs put in a spiffy new outer box or something.  We'll see the super duper ultra uber spectacular fantabulous editions sometime in the future though, with just enough tweaks and changes that we'll all be wanting to buy them.....again. :)

Incidentally, does anyone even buy fullscreen DVDs anymore? Does anyone here buy them?

I personally avoid the fullscreen DVDs like the plague, whenever possible.  My wife and I do have a heck of a time explaining why widescreen is better to the rest of our families though.  "How do I get rid of those black bars?"  Arrrgh.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 10:49 AM »
I'm glad we're getting ROTS, but I'll hold out on the sets for now. I just wish Clone Wars Volume 2 was coming out with ROTS though.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 12:26 PM »
I just wish Clone Wars Volume 2 was coming out with ROTS though.

Me too. I wonder why they aren't being released then?

As for the widescreen/fullscreen thing. I cannot stand fullscreen. Which is probably why I don't really watch TV. Explaining the difference to my mom is how mosnab put it.  ;D

I remember my dream now.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 01:01 PM »
The thing that always irritates me is the terminology they use for it:  "Full Screen."  In actuality, it's not "Full Screen" for everyone, so it shouldn't be used in that manner.  The term that I use is "Pan and Scan" or, more appropriately, "Butchered."

For anyone that wants a really easy way to explain the difference to people who are hellbent on their pan-and-scan hackjobs, on disc 2 of the "Die Hard" 5-star Edition, there is a small feature where they show just how much P/S destroys the composition of a film.  In fact, SW.com, around the time AOTC came out on DVD, had their own little photographic demonstration of the process, and how anyone could look at that and still want P/S blows my mind.

Every now and then, Turner Classic Movies (who show classic movies, instead of AMC's approach of "Independence Day" being a classic) shows a between-films explanation with Martin Scorsese and other directors (I'm fairly certain that Sydney Pollack is one of them) about the history of widescreen formats and why P/S destroys filmmaking.  Very good stuff.

"I don't like them thar black bars, hurrr."  Well, when the US switches over to a fully digital broadcast spectrum and the old 4:3 TVs begin to phase out at retail, I hope the "foolscreen" people have fun saying, "Why are these dang black bars on the sides of the picture now, hurr?"   ::)

As for the ROTS DVD itself, I really hope that the documentary on the bonus features disc isn't another "Look at what my computer can do" type of thing.  I loved the "Beginning" doc from the TPM DVD, but the "Puppets to Pixels" doc on the AOTC disc was boring after about ten minutes.  Yes, you can do amazing things with the computer, Rob Coleman, but the character of Yoda is why people like him, not because Sun Microsystems makes him out of ones and zeroes.   :P

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 08:03 PM »
Something else I just noticed: the StarWars.com article says nothing about VHS. I wonder if they're not even bothering with a VHS release this time?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 08:04 PM »

Miscellaneous observations, apropos of nothing:

-- Episode IV is the only one without an Anakin/Vader. Then again, III has both Anakin and Vader, so I guess it balances out.

-- All three prequels only show blue sabers, while the OT has one of each (except purple, which never appeared in the OT anyway).

-- Episode III is the first to show an actual lightsaber battle, and indeed the first with more than one saber.

-- Episode III is the first prequel to show Palpatine on the cover, thus mirroring VI's which is the only OT to show him. And furthermore, III and VI are the only ones to show hooded characters -- Palpy & Padme, and Palpy. (Now I'm really reaching. ;D)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 08:13 PM by Valin Kenobi »

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 1, 2005, 06:08 PM »
WIW i cant wait till NOvember!! i wonder why Darth Maul is not on the cover of EP1 or is he?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 2, 2005, 04:06 PM »
I see you can now order the Revenge of the Sith DVD at SWShop.com, for the "special" price of $29.98 ::).  Yeah, I think I'll wait for Wal-Mart, Target, or BestBuy.  For some reason, I think they'll beat that price ;).

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 2, 2005, 09:28 PM »
Heh, Yeah AMC has gone nuts with their definition of "Classics."

Widescreen is definitely the way to go.  Make the people you know that 'don't like the bars' watch a widevision film, show them just how fast you just stop noticing them.  Remember when they were call letterbox?

I imagine we'll see all 6 films, and probably two MAKING OF's in one set, in the next few years; but all 3D.
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 3, 2005, 12:59 AM »
I see you can now order the Revenge of the Sith DVD at SWShop.com, for the "special" price of $29.98 ::).  Yeah, I think I'll wait for Wal-Mart, Target, or BestBuy.  For some reason, I think they'll beat that price ;).

Notice also that it SHIPS on 11/1, meaning that you'll have to wait a few days for it to arrive.

Plus, I think WM, Target, and Best Buy will all have the $10 price match war they had when AOTC was released. :)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 4, 2005, 11:14 PM »
Well to defend SWshop.com they have to be politically correct by using the word "special" there.  They can't actually type the words "retarded" price.   That would be offensive.  So, instead they call it a "special" price.  LOL!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 4, 2005, 11:19 PM »
Ha! Someone should mention to them that BestBuy.com has the DVD available for preorder for $19.99.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 5, 2005, 01:18 PM »
I read in an entertainment mag. (sorry I don't have the exact publication :-[) that there probably won't be a "definative" edition until GL dies -- that he'll keep tweaking and tweaking......Editor and Sound Designer Ben Burtt said he has nightmares of being in his 80's and having GL calling him at home and asking him "Do you know where the original for such-and-such is?"
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 5, 2005, 02:38 PM »
Incidentally, does anyone even buy fullscreen DVDs anymore? Does anyone here buy them?

I don't buy them, but they sell like crazy at Walmart up here.  For ROTK they sold out of the foolscreen and had widescreen left over.  I'm forever amazed people buy them, but oh well.  I can't remember whether it was here or at RS where the difference was shown in a single photo, but that was all it took to convince me.  I'd originally thought they just filled the screen in some mysterious way rather than cut stuff out.  Oops, wrong I was. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.