Author Topic: ROTS DVD Nov 1st  (Read 25824 times)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS DVD Nov 1st
« Reply #75 on: November 3, 2005, 02:52 PM »
Valin, thanks for correcting me .  . . it was late last night so I was tired. I know they are V wings so I guess what I should say is that the V Wing appears  to be the forerunner for the tie fighter.
I also think it is ironic that Grevious ship is a single seater with hyperdrive capability while the Jedi Starfighter does not have hyperdrive capabiliity on board the ship. Then in the OT it is the Rebel's single seat fighters that are hyperdrive capable, while the Ties of the Empire remain only a regional fighter.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 3, 2005, 03:48 PM »
Off today with a cold and watched it and loved it of course.  You always pick up stuff you did not the other times watching it.  It's good to have all the films now sitting in the collection.  The deleted scene with Yoda was really nice I thought.  I would like to have seen that one stuck in the end there somehwere.  Although I can understand why Lucas left it out.  Cool stuff all in all. 

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #77 on: November 3, 2005, 08:50 PM »
About the deleted scenes:

I would have liked seeing the "seeds of the rebellion" scenes implemented into the movie except for one thing...the acting was horrendous.  The delivery in those lines were awful for the most part, especially Jimmy Smits'

The Yoda arrival scene was probably incredibly powerful in the context of the movie, but as a stand-alone scene it didn't do much for me.  Too bad they left it out though.

I liked Shaak Ti's death and the descent into the water (especially the chemistry between Obi & Anakin with their signals), but I think including that whole bit into the movie might have made it drag a bit much. 

The discussion about the plot to kill the Jedi was just fine the way they ultimately did it.  No great loss.

John

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: November 4, 2005, 04:46 AM »
Agreed on the Rebellion bit John...  That actually has a LOT of importance.  First, it establishes some "scale" to Star Wars...  The petition of 2000 kind of shows the viewer that the Alliance is a "pitiful little band" compared to the Empire...  On the grand scale of things though, the Alliance is F'n huge itself.  It would rival the CIS as far as its ultimate threat to the Empire and it gives some real "meaning" behind the Empire wanting a Death Star.  To me it even reinforces a 2nd DS as being something worth investing in for the Empire as the Alliance is an already large, and supposedly growing body.

The acting was a little eh...  I didn't mind Smits and felt his acting was intentionally "coy" more than "bad".  The worst dialogue delivered in the sequence was Lucas's older daughter...  Good lord must his kids get their usual cameos like this?  Her stupid look at the screen in AOTC, and now her asinine acting job.  One line and it sounded forced!  That's almost worth giving her her own award for.

Yoda's scene is kinda cool.  That's the most deluxe escape pod in history it seems. 

Shaak's scene could've been edited down a bit and reinserted.  It really, to me, is the scene out of them all that is necessary to improve ROTS whereas the others could be missing and not have any major impact...  I like the Rebellion scenes but ultimately they don't really change much that's important overall, however Grievous' character is established as a little more of a badass in his executing Shaak sequence, and that's something his character desperately needed.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #79 on: November 4, 2005, 12:33 PM »
The Rebellion scenes should have been left in. Obviously they're very important setup for later on, plus they give Padme something else to do besides being basically a walking uterus. ::)

I'm still pissed they left out the Dagobah bit--that was one of the scenes I was most looking forward to in the prequels. >:(

The Shaak Ti/dunk tank scenes were cool and all (and you're right JJ, it does "up" GG's badass factor), but I'm glad they were cut, since that whole opening sequence, in the space battle and on the flagship, was far too long already IMO.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2005, 12:34 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 4, 2005, 08:57 PM »
I noticed when I play my ROTS DVD the title reads "Charlotte Disc I" as opposed to "Revenge of the Sith Disc I".   Has anyone else noticed any odd titles? :-\
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 5, 2005, 01:03 AM »
Did anyone notice in one of the documentaries, the one about the evolution of Darth Vader, that they show the scene of Yoda in Episode I where he gives his speech about fear being a path to the darkside, but Yoda is pure CG and not the puppet?

Is that a hint for an extended edition of the films that MaCullum pointed out in the Delete Scenes intros?

McCallum has confirmed the Ep I puppet has been replaced with the CG Yoda. I assume it'll be in an anniversary box set in 2007. Has anyone bought the Ep I discs that are in stores now? I don't think the reworked TPM is out yet...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 5, 2005, 10:01 AM »
I noticed when I play my ROTS DVD the title reads "Charlotte Disc I" as opposed to "Revenge of the Sith Disc I".   Has anyone else noticed any odd titles? :-\

Check the mainpage for that one! :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 5, 2005, 11:30 AM »
I gotta jump in with my take on the rebellion scenes.  I thought they all sucked badly.  No wonder they were left out.  Mon Mothma's actress was decent and so was Portman and Ian, but just about everyone else's "performance" was lame and wooden IMO.  The audience would have been snoozing for sure.  That Fang Zar sounded horrible and yeah Lucas daughter's line and outfit were bad.  OH, I am just glad these were not in the film.  I know the concept was ok but the delivery looked poor. 

The signals between Anakin and Kenobi were kind of corny IMO.  Not to bad but they took too long doing them IMO.  But yeah seeing Shaak Ti killed that way by Grievous should have been in the film IMO.  Just to let everyone fear Grievous a bit more. 

The only scene I would like to have absolutely seen in the film is the Yoda arrival on Dagobah.  Again I can understand why it was taken out but in the future I think it would be fine to leave it in there. 

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 5, 2005, 05:36 PM »
Did you see how much Shop.starwars.com was selling the EPIII DVD for?  "Our Price: $29.98"!!!  Oh great, let me pay twice as much plus shipping...  Hello McFly!!!!!!

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 5, 2005, 11:01 PM »
Anyone else disappointed in the extra's provided on the second disk (in the DVD, not Walmart's "extra" disk)?  Love the movie but the extra's seem to be somewhat lacking. Guess I need to compare them to Ep. I and II and find out what is missing.
As far as Yoda's dance as an easter egg, stupid. Sorry, I did not like it and I can tell Lucasfilm is trying to appeal to a different auidence then an old fart like me, but I would have prefered more bloopers  OR like they did with LOTR, I would have loved to have seen footage on the concept art more in detail.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 6, 2005, 02:28 AM »
that segment "Within a Minute" was completely useless, i fell asleep after watching it for like 5 mins, wut a waste

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #87 on: November 6, 2005, 03:06 AM »
I picked up the Ep3 DVD just after midnight on the 1st and spent the whole day (my birthday) watching the trilogy.  What a great way to spend the day! 

I enjoyed seeing the deleted scenes.  I think they should have kept the formation of the Alliance in the movie -- after all, Leia follows in her mother's footsteps.   I agree that the "Within a Minute" piece went on far too long.  I haven't watched the webumentaries or listened to the commentaries yet. 

Watching the whole saga at once like that, I was struck for the first time how like her father Leia is.  Just as Anakin makes cracks at Grievous, she smarts off to Tarkin in Ep4.  Whereas Luke's more like mom, ready for adventure, but a little more serious in nature, I think. 

I sure wish they'd have an all-day movie marathon -- I'd love to see all six in theatres back-to-back.  Awesome!

« Last Edit: November 6, 2005, 10:14 PM by Taminar »
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 6, 2005, 08:23 PM »
I think they should of put the Qui Gon/ Yoda discussion scene in the deleted scenes.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #89 on: November 8, 2005, 11:22 AM »
^ Definitely! I suspect for most of us, that goes without saying.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)