Author Topic: New JD Review: R4-G9 (Sneak Preview)  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: R4-G9 (Sneak Preview)
« on: June 6, 2005, 11:04 PM »
Astromech Droids are taken to new heights by Hasbro with this latest rendition of the little buggers...  R4-G9 (Sneak Preview) proves that Hasbro can do articulation, features, and accessories all in one little droid, and with little to no drawbacks really!

Yup, Hasbro actually improved what I thought they had pretty much perfected...  Astromechs!  R4-G9 has the aspects I like in these droids though, and which Hasbro has proven works...  Articulation.  But Hasbro also incorporated the a neat method to make the 3rd leg retract and extend by twisting the dome, the lightpipe is better than ever, and he's got an accessory that's sort of innovative...  But how does he measure up overall as a figure?

Well, short of him having more accessories (something all astro's could use to spice them up a bit), he really is quite nice, but just Click Right Here to check out the full review, and as always, share your thoughts on him if you'd like.

He's a must-have for any collection though, in this reviewer's opinion.  :)  I'd buy astromech droid repaints with every wave of figures that came out I think!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Commander JediSearch

• Jedi Initiate
  • Do what must be done... I support Order 66
    • View Profile
    • The Archive
Re: New JD Review: R4-G9 (Sneak Preview)
« Reply #1 on: June 6, 2005, 11:50 PM »
Excellent review...  Makes me want to take mine out of the package.   ;D
Maybe I'll have to find another one for an opener.

Keep 'em coming!
Stephen - Louisville, KY
Sandtroopers | KSWCC | My Collection

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2005, 01:24 AM »
I ran into a handful of R4's not too long ago at a WM so they're still out and about...  And TRU may have some too, they seem to not be unloading their Preview wave too quick still...

He's still around I guess.  I'd like one for a repaint just because of the leg feature being so much better than on other figures. 

Thanks for the kind words JediSearch, they're appreciated!  :)  Now find that opener!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Is this the correct droid for the ARC-170?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 7, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Is this the correct droid for the ARC-170?

I think R4-G9 is the droid for the Jedi Starfighter that Obi-Wan takes to Utuapau.

But, feel free to use him where ever you want!  ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 7, 2005, 05:43 PM »
Yeah, he's Obi-Wan's droid later in the film...  Thus his little Utapau Hologram accessory.  He'd look pretty dandy in the back of an ARC though I think.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 03:05 PM »
Nice review Jesse.

Like you, I appreciate the little things they've done, like the feet cables as a separate piece - one of my favourite details on this and the VOTC R2.

My figure is currently still in the package, so I haven't had a chance to test out the rotating dome / extendable 3rd leg, but it sounds like it works like a charm.  Kudos for this feature without affecting the sculpt of the figure.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 03:31 AM »
Thanks Jesse...

I liked the feet cables a lot too.  I'm still think the wheels suck though.  A little dull, they don't roll fantastically well anyway, and they make him sort of tilt...  I could do without them.

I think Hasbro was intending a good thing there...  It's extra work after all.  I just think it's something they could've left off and the figure would've actually been a little better.  Kinda like the probisces on Dannik Jerriko's face...  Something done with good intent, but which turned out to hurt the figure.

I can't think of too many figures I'd want that actually rolled....  Well, a mousedroid that was maybe to-scale woudl be nice, if it rolled, but that's about it.