Author Topic: What Vintage Do You Still Have From Your Childhood?  (Read 41509 times)

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
Re: What Vintage Do You Still Have From Your Childhood?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 07:28 AM »
All my figures were WELL played with, so not many survived.
I know when I was 12 or so I sold a lot off at a yard sale, 50 cents each.
I remember one older guy buying most of them and the star wars case they
were in.

I still have Luke, 3P0 & R2, first 3 figures I got. They are beat though, but
I keep them for the memories. I have a Obi Wan with dents all over his body
from BBs, I used to put him up as a target (DOH!). I have my Rancor, and
he was hiding a nice treat inside. When I dug him out, something was rattling
around in him, I shook him till a Jawa popped out  ;D

Adam

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 11:27 AM »
I think before I started picking up new, minty loose figures in hopes of completing a collection (someday), I had most of the figures from my childhood.  They also went through my younger brother, and some things were lost along the way.  I don't think I had any of the weapons, but otherwise they were in somewhat decent shape. Here's what I had in my shoebox when I rescued them from my parents' home:

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Darth Vader
Chewbacca
Boba Fett
Lando Calrissian
R2-D2 w/Sensorscope
Yoda
B-Wing Pilot
Bib Fortuna
Biker Scout
Chief Chirpa
Emperor's Royal Guard
Gamorrean Guard
Han Solo w/Trenchcoat
Lando Skiff Guard
Logray
Luke Skywalker (Jedi)
Lumat
Endor Soldier
Teebo
Wicket
Jabba the Hutt (and playset)

I also had a "hand me down" Falcon and Snowspeeder from my cousin, which he later (understandably) wanted back.  No problem.  I didn't have a real large collection overall, and always wished I could have had more...but when I was using my allowance to buy my figures, its tougher to build it up quickly ;).  I'm also have the majority of my old GI Joes and pretty much all of my MOTU stuff, and weapons with those.  Must have been easier with the larger figures at that time :).

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2005, 12:25 AM »
When I was a kid I had all the figures loose minus the POTF as they weren’t available up here, then I got dysfunctional one day and sold them all off for $2 a piece, most were mint since I didn’t play with them after early Empire daze- just opened them and stuck ‘em in the “collector’s” cases. I had a few left that weren’t really super nice shape so I kept them… gave a bunch away to a friend… I think the only remnants of my childhood collection are a Vader, 3-PO, R2, Leia with crayon altered fatigues, and Luke’s disembodied head.

edit: oh yah, and IG-88, sans one arm.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 12:26 AM by Bob Crane »
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 11:27 PM »
I'm thinking about allowing that one figure to remain unmint in my set that I'm close to completing, just as a little homage to my childhood.

This will be mine, my first Star Wars figure ever - Luke X-Wing Fighter Pilot.  Will I ever "upgrade" him?  Probably.  Will I ever get rid of him?  Never.

And yes, that is sticky-tack holding his head on.   ;)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 11:32 PM »
Is that from the alternate ending of Star Wars where Vader shoots down Luke in the Death Star Trench?  :P
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 11:34 PM »
Is that from the alternate ending of Star Wars where Vader shoots down Luke in the Death Star Trench?  :P

Close.  It's from the Star Wars - Alien crossover movie where Luke is killed by a chestburster.   ;)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 01:36 AM »

Close.  It's from the Star Wars - Alien crossover movie where Luke is killed by a chestburster.   ;)

LOL! What did you do to him? I've seen some damage to action figures by kids before, but I've never seen a piece of the chest just torn off like that.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 4, 2005, 01:31 PM »
When we was kids we used to take Stormtroopers (which we had plenty of) and stick them between the chain wheel and the chain of our bikes, then we’d rev-up the pedal and the figures would come out looking all elephantitis like… sometimes their chests would break off not unlike that Luke.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2005, 01:41 PM by Bob Crane »
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #23 on: August 4, 2005, 01:39 PM »
 ;D

I vividly remember blowing up a VINYL CAPED Jawa with a firecracker when I was a kid. :o

Yep, I shoved it right between his legs and BOOOM.

Ahh Yes. to be 5 years old and clueless.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline John J. Alvarez

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 5, 2005, 09:40 AM »

Most of mine. :) I'm missing Han Hoth, Luke Hoth, Leia Hoth, Hoth Trooper (seeing a pattern?) and Leia. I'm thinking this may have been a particularly snowy winter and they may have fallen to the snow banks. ;) The Yoda also isn't mine. I traded mine for some GI Joes and then later acquired my friend's dog chewed naked Yoda for myself.

If anybody hasn't seen this it's a neat section of the Archive: http://www.toysrgus.com/images-nosta/index.html which features a lot of the editor's collections as well as some well-known collector's like Brennan Swain, winner of The Amazing Race season 1.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #25 on: August 6, 2005, 12:32 AM »
cool, a display of your childhood figures! I got plans on doing that as well, once I can complete a loose set that doesn't include the childhood figures. one day, perhaps...

I've checked out the nostalgia section on the Archive several times, it's really cool to see old pics of kids just ripping open their new presents and playing with the toys the way they're meant to. I know I have a pic or two like that somewhere, one day I'll have to find em.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline philraymond

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005, 02:49 AM »

I still have Weeq.  The figure and weapon were just too boring to open.  I already had a loose one anyway, so he kicked around under my bed for 10+ years.

Phil

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2005, 03:14 AM »
I still have my entire vintage collection from when I was a kid - except for the damned Sears Cantina and Cloud City cardboard playsets.  :'(  I have no idea what the hell ever happened to those, other than the slim possibility that since they were just cheap cardboard, they got tossed out in the trash after a while (highly unlikely).  Oddly enough, I do still have the Cloud City box, just not the playset.  Complete set of figures (sans Yak), and about 3/4ths of all the ships and playsets.  Still need to catch up on a few of those that I never got as a kid...

But other than those two apparent Sears set casualties (and my BK glass sets, which have since been replaced), everything else was safely stored up in my parent's attic for many, many years.  Aside from my Legos and Hot Wheels, they were the only thing from my youth that didn't get sold off in one of the family garage sales.  When my parents moved out of state about 8 years ago, everything got moved over to my aunt's attic, which coincidentally, I just had to clean out over the past weekend so she could move all my grandma's crap up there.

So now I've got some 20 odd boxes of vintage stuff to go through, all sitting in MY house, for the first time in my adult life.  Looking forward to going through everything again after all these years.  Slightly nervous that I may have left some batteries in a few of the vehicles though.  Fearing some serious yellowing too...  :-\
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 03:15 AM by JediMAC »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2005, 03:17 AM »
So now I've got some 20 odd boxes of vintage stuff to go through, all sitting in MY house, for the first time in my adult life.  Looking forward to going through everything again after all these years.  Slightly nervous that I may have left some batteries in a few of the vehicles though.  Fearing some serious yellowing too...  :-\

Wow, Matt, I envy you.  I think you'll find all sorts of memories come flooding back, you won't mind some of the yellowing.  Sit back, take your time, and enjoy.   8)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2005, 03:38 AM »
You know what's funny, is that I was just as meticulous and anal with my collection when I was a kid, as I am now.  Never lost a single accessory, saved every Kenner catalog insert, every opened cardback, every vehicle and playset box (mostly all in mint condition still), etc., etc...  Except for those damned Sears playsets.  I swear to God, I wanna know WTF happened to those.  I bet my mom tossed 'em out at some point thinking they weren't anything important.  Damn, that's been eating at me for about 15 years now, ever since I discovered they appeared to be missing.  I'm praying for a miracle though, and hoping I may find them stashed away inside of one of the other Kenner Star Wars boxes somewhere...

I have one very special shoebox though, that had all my best stuff in it, that I still have to this day.  It's covered in the old '77/78 Topps SW stickers from the trading card packages, and is full of the aforementioned loose cardbacks, Kenner catalogs, and all of the accessories, among other things.  Very meticulously maintained and organized for almost 30 years now...  I don't know why, but it's always been my special little Star Wars treasure chest.  It's the one part of my vintage collection that I've actually kept with me in recent years.  Just random crap in there too, but I love it all.

Ah, nostalgia...  :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 03:41 AM by JediMAC »