Author Topic: VOTC & VPTC  (Read 8514 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC & VPTC
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 09:42 AM »
I'm pleased to see that I haven't already responded in this thread, so I won't be contradicting myself.  I just don't see VPTC flying very well.  Here's why:

- there's no love or need for a VPTC cardback.  Is anyone really missing, longing for or having difficulty getting a Darth Maul on an Episode I cardback? 
- there was consistency of cardbacks during the OT.  Is that in place now?  Uh, no - Ep I/Saga/ROTS share what cardback? 
- How do you define who gets made from ROTS when it isn't even out yet?  Yeah, yeah, Vader, Sidious/Palpatine, Grievous, Windu
- wasn't the whole "v" in VOTC a reference to vintage?  Is there anyone out there referring to anything prequel as vintage?  If there is, send them my way and I'll slap some sense into them. 
- won't Hasbro just biatch up a young Obi in the same soft-goods way they biatched old Obi?  C'mon, you can't tell me they won't just re-use his cloak.  Do we really need a VPTC Padme?

Finally, doesn't this cheapen the whole VOTC concept?  Wasn't the idea a chance to give collectors (this wasn't geared at kids, was it?) a chance to own some pretty nice pieces that pay homage to the original Kenner line?  Is Episode I deserving of some sort of homage? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 10:08 AM »
I kind of agree with you Brent.  While I'd like to see some figures done in the style of the VOTC, getting nicely sculpted, articulated versions of prequel characters such as Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Maul, etc., I don't know if they need to go the "VOTC" route.  People complained about paying $10 a piece for characters that are fairly universally liked, where I think we can safely say that the prequels are not.  Plus, we know that Hasbro can put those type of quality figures in at the regular pricepoint, and really much of the ROTS figures have looked that type of quality as well.  If they do want to do some sort of "prequel trilogy collection" of 12 figures or whatever, that is fine, and might be neat...but I don't think the clamshelled, $10 figures would fly, like you said.  Plus, another point you made, the appeal of that VOTC was the "vintage", "special edition", and nostalgic aspect of the line.  I don't think those qualities necessarily translate to the prequel trilogy, at least not for the majority of collectors/consumers.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 10:42 AM »
And at the risk of sounding like JesseJames, the card was $5 worth of the product there.  That seems key in my mind - how do you unify a VPTC line with three different cardbacks?  Answer: you can't, so there goes your $5 premium. 

I'll admit I'd end up buying a Maul at regular retail, possibly an ROTS Vader and Palpatine, but beyond that there's no interest on my part.  Maybe a clone, but we already had the SP clone at regular retail price. 

Perhaps my biggest fear is that Hasbro'd try and release these on vintage style cardbacks.  Take a black card, slap Attack of the Clones in a classically styled logo and try to market that.  Essentially I'm really worried they're going to end up cheapening the whole vintage concept for the sake of some $$. :-\

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 04:05 PM »
Perhaps my biggest fear is that Hasbro'd try and release these on vintage style cardbacks.  Take a black card, slap Attack of the Clones in a classically styled logo and try to market that.  Essentially I'm really worried they're going to end up cheapening the whole vintage concept for the sake of some $$. :-\

This is exactly what they are thinking of doing.

They would take the Vintage style cards and just transpose them into Prequel movies. 

SW Card style = TPM
ESB Card style = AotC
RotJ Card style = RotS

I don't think that they would be dumb enough to try the vPTC on the unique cards from the movies as it would be kinda lame.  I am totally picturing some crass bastardization of the Vintage cards for this line (if and when it does happen).   :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 05:23 PM »
That sucks.  That sucks ****, to be more precise.  What an utterly ridiculous concept.  Sorry, not paying a premium for something on a bastardized card.  If they didn't have the forsight to have consistent cards it's absurd to turn around and try and do it now to cash in. 

Oh look, the monkeys from SWS.com moved over to Hasbro >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 05:49 PM »
Man, I hope this is true... I also hope they don't make a Battle Droid as a $10 figure.   ;)

We do need ultimate Jedi versions of Qui Gon Jinn, Obi Wan Kenobi and Mace Windu still, so this could be fantastic news.

:P

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 11:40 PM »
I totally agree Chewie.   :)  I'm happy about it, too, and I personally wouldn't mind PT figs on Vintage style cards.  Maybe it's just me. 

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 12:36 AM »
For my money, VOTC is ridiculously overrated and overpriced for what they are ... particularly considering I didn't need any more figures of those characters. And I'm not paying an extra $5 for the stupid card and clamshell.

The only one I bought was Chewie, and only because I'm army-building a horde of Wookiees to recreate the ROTS battle. :D

That being said, there's a few figures I would like to see in SuperArticulate form (either in a VPTC collection or in whatever Saga line follows ROTS):

TPM
* Battle Droid that can actually stand without assistance, and can achieve multiple stances--kneeling, etc.
* Tusken Sniper that can stand upright, kneel, or lay down

AOTC
* Tusken Raider
* Clone Trooper (simply a massmarket rerelease of the CW Super Articulated CT)

Clone Wars
* Anything at all would be A-OK by me. Ventress sounds good though. And I definitely wouldn't turn up my nose at Clone Armored Obi-Wan.

ROTS
* Wookiee Warrior
* Perhaps General Tarfful
* New SA Clone Trooper

ANH
* Sandtrooper (with variant shoulder boards)
* Tusken Raider

ROTJ
* Yoda spirit
* Ben spirit
* Anakin spirit -- Sebastian Shaw dammit, not that ridiculous Hayden version ... *grumble grumble*
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 01:18 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 12:28 PM »
With some of the figures we've seen (or will be seeing) in the ROTS line, along with the Evolutions sets, we can almost start putting together a "VPTC" collection with figures that are on par with what we saw in the VOTC line.  Any suggestions for a 12 figures lineup for the prequels?  Here's a few that might fit in:

Anakin Skywalker (ROTS - Evolutions)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS - Pilot Version)
Clonetrooper (ROTS - #41 or Evolutions)
Count Dooku (ROTS - Basic Figure or Evolutions)
Padme Amidala/Skywalker (ROTS - Basic Figure for a ROTS Pregnant Version)
Darth Sidious/Palpatine (ROTS - Evolutions)

Any other figures you think fit in with the well sculpted/articulated theme of the "VOTC", or some characters that need all new figures?  If we're spanning the entire prequels, they could probably repaint/retool the VOTC Boba for a nice SA Jango, we're getting a near SA Maul in the Evo sets, and there's always the SA Clone from AOTC as well.  What would you like to see the lineup look like, and can figures like the Evo Anakin (ROTS), Pilot Obi (ROTS), and #41 Clone be much improved upon?  Could they fit into a line like this as is?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 12:43 PM »
Fer sure we need and SA Qui Gon and Mace Windu, a non-flimsy Battle Droid would be nice

And don't forget Jar Jar!!!
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2005, 11:05 AM »
I have to agree with the neigh-sayers. While highly articulated figures like the new Pilot Obi-Wan should be satndard and are always welcome, puting them on vintage-esque cards would be just be wrong IMO.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 12:23 PM »
I am 100% not interested in a VPTC line.

I'd much rather Hasbro made all 103 or whatever number it is of the vintage figures at 10$ each than to throw Jar Jar onto a classic style card.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2005, 02:18 PM »
I do agree with that too, I'd sooner see OT characters made first.  The only way I'd like "VOTC-style" prequel figures is to have SA versions of the main characters, similar to what we've seen with the Evolutions Anakin and ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan.  There are a few other prequel characters I wouldn't mind seeing done in this fashion.  I agree that I wouldn't like to see them on some sort of fake vintage style card, they could be regularly carded, but just that the figures were done in the VOTC (or even much of ROTS) style...nicely sculpted, super articulated, soft goods where appropriate, etc.).

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2005, 04:37 PM »
When I started this thread, almost a year ago, it was really meant to be more about the figures than the packaging. I liked the high quality of the VOTC figures, and I wanted to see that quality passed on to all figures. I certainly wouldn't care for or need Jar Jar on a vintage-style cardback, especially since all my cardbacks end up in the trash. But I would like to see Jango, Maul, Greivous, etc. redone as high-quality, super articulated VOTC-ish figures. That was the original point of the thread.

Of course, this was before the ROTS figures, where we got SA figures as almost a standard.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram