Author Topic: ROTS Deleted Scenes  (Read 11215 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
ROTS Deleted Scenes
« on: June 12, 2005, 02:14 AM »
So I found a website that contained images of ROTS Deleted Scenes. Which got me to thinking, how much was cut from ROTS? This can include anything from entire scenes to dialogue. Let's use this thread to make a list!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS Deleted Scenes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 09:45 AM »
I am certainly looking forward to the deleted scenes.    I do agree with a lot of people in other threads that it would have been nice to see Yoda on Dagobah.  It did not ruin for me by any means, but cool to see. 

Ummm, anyway I do not know much more than what is said on that site.  I am hoping there was more to that Wookie battle, but maybe there was not? 

For the longest time there was a rumor that Shaak Ti was decapitated by Grievous.  But in that shot there is looks like he just impaled her.  Unless she had THREE deleted death scenes? 

Eh, I can't remember any more deleted scenes at the moment?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 11:01 PM »
I definitely think killing Shaak Ti would have built Grievous' character a bit.  He's supposed to be this fearsome killer, yet we saw him kill nobody.  He was involved in 2 fights: the first one he ran away, and the second one he got his butt kicked.  Not too fearsome from where I'm standing.  I say let Shaak Ti's head roll!!
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 12:27 AM »
I definitely think killing Shaak Ti would have built Grievous' character a bit.  He's supposed to be this fearsome killer, yet we saw him kill nobody.  He was involved in 2 fights: the first one he ran away, and the second one he got his butt kicked.  Not too fearsome from where I'm standing.  I say let Shaak Ti's head roll!!

But where in the finished film does that even fit in?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 12:32 AM »
Depending how the Shaak Ti scene would play out, i think it could fit in prior to the Jedi getting into the Turbo lift (after they leave the hangar).

I don't know how exactly the scene plays out though... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 10:55 AM »
Here's something I posted in the ROTS thoughts thread that applies to the Shaak Ti death(s):

Just a couple of comments on the lack of Shaak Ti in the film.  She actually had two different death scenes filmed, but neither showed up.  The first one had her being involved in the raid on the General's cruiser.  She was already on board (whether as a prisoner or an infiltrator, I don't know) and it was her homing beacon that led Obi-Wan and Anakin to the ship.  Obi-Wan and Anakin were on their way through the ship to get to Palpatine when they came upon Shaak Ti standing in the middle of the hall crying.  When they came closer, Grievous appeared behind her and stabbed her through the back with a lightsaber (possibly her own; this would also explain early images of the ROTS action figure that had a hole in her chest just big enough to insert a saber blade so it would stick out).  When he attempted to come after them, they used their sabers to cut a hole in the floor and drop down to the next level.

Apparently Lucas decided there was too much going on in the beginning of the film, so her death scene was reshot and put in a new section of the movie.  When Vader enters the Jedi Temple, there was a scene shot where he comes upon Shaak Ti meditating in a room that looks a lot like Yoda's.  I don't know how he did it, but Vader kills her while she is meditating.

There are images of all these scenes (the former being animatics with actual actor footage; the latter being a single still photo) in the "Making of ROTS" book.  Is it outside the realm of possibility to do an identified cut scenes thread for the board?  I don't know how long it will be before T-Bone Fender starts to put a section together on his site (there is no better Cut Scenes archive on the web than his, IMO), and I've already caught several things (such as the shot of Palpatine's shuttle returning to Coruscant from the second trailer and a scene I saw on the TV Guide channel of Padme, Mon Mothma, and some other senators in her apartment) that were shot for the film but not included.  It'd be cool to have all these together in one spot.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 02:50 PM »
I would much rather see her killed by Vader in the Temple.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 03:27 PM »
It is kind of neat to see/hear about the different scenes that were cut from ROTS.  I hope we see a number of them pop up on the DVD.  I personally was kind of hoping to see Yoda on Dagobah, even if it was just a shot of him standing and surveying the landscape of the planet (sort of like what is in the comic if anyone has seen).  It didn't make or break the movie for me, but would have been a neat little tie-in to the OT I think.  I would have actually liked to have seen the scenes involving Bail, Mon Mothma, Padme, etc. and the beginnings fo the Rebellion.  I really thought that was missing, and should have been included in the theatrical cut in some way.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 04:26 PM »
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this anywhere, but at Steve Sansweet's Star Wars Spectacular presentation down at Comic Con last weekend, they showed the entire deleted scene of the meeting of Bail, Mon Mothma, Padme, and 3 others setting up the origins of the Rebel Alliance.  It was a couple minutes long, kinda slow, but sorta interesting since we'd heard a lot about this scene already...

Someone asked Sansweet later on why we can't get an "Extended Edition" ala LOTR, and he said that's just not George's style, and that he edits stuff out for a reason, and we should just be happy in knowing that we at least get those scenes on the DVD seperately.  He also added that if folks owned a Mac, they could just re-edit the movie themselves when it hits DVD, and reincorporate all the deleted scenes if they wanted to.  :P

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 10:08 PM »
I really liked that site that edited out all the cut aways from the Anakin/Kenobi fight, that was great.

I kinda liked having Shaak Ti not shown dying, I actually would have liked to see a couple more jedi that didn't get mowed down during order 66.  That's a point blank showcase that Vader did have more work to do before Episode 4. =)

Plus, come on all these Jedi Masters get so easily slaughtered, it would be nice to know not ALL of them were such pansies. lol
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 03:28 PM »
Well there are two scenes I really wanted to be included, but i doubt either will. I wanted to see Yoda land on Dagobah and the Qui-Lon Vos scenes.  :-[
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 08:30 PM »
I somehow think we'll end up being disappointed with the deleted scenes.  You know how it goes. 

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 02:09 AM »
The Quinlan Vos scene was never even filmed, so the chances of it showing up on the DVD are somewhere below the Holiday Special getting rereleased.

Besides the aforementioned Birth of the Rebellion sequence, the one I most want to see is on Polis Massa where Qui-Gon's spirit voice is talking to Yoda before Bail comes in to tell him that Padme's giving birth. This is the major loose end I would have most liked to see resolved. I think the way this “revelation” was handled was the only major miscalculation in the ending.

As I understand the dialogue was never recorded, so I doubt it will be on the DVD. :( I suppose it's possible, and ideally it would be edited back into the film proper, like the extended Podrace in TPM.

It would be cool to see Yoda land on Dagobah--and would be relatively easy to reconstruct for the DVD by pasting CGI Yoda and lander into an establishing shot from ESB--but it’s not essential. In fact, it helps to preserve a little of the surprise in the OT if you watch them chronologically. You know Yoda is hanging out someplace and should reenter the story at some point, but you don't know where he is.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 05:26 AM »
I heard that production actually had an actor for quinlan vos but the scene ..and his job were cut -too bad that's prob. my most wanted scene.

I agree they need to do something to build grievous into a stronger foe- In Labrynth he was tough " killed countless jedi" but in the movie he has one lightsaber in his cloak..come on!I thought the character was cool..but make hime tougher.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 04:11 PM »
^ Yep.

StarWars.com's article on ROTS Easter Eggs says:

"Expanded universe fans may have had their ears perk up when Obi-Wan gives the single-sentence summary of the Jedi briefing Anakin just missed. He mentions that Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pity. That is indeed a reference to Quinlan Vos, who was almost slated to appear in Episode III. Lucas included the comic book Jedi in the script, though his sequence was never filmed." (underlines added)

This Hyperspace Set Diary reveals some more. It being Hyperspace content, I can't quote directly but here's a summary:

Animatics were made of the scene, but Vos was never cast nor filmed. Costume Archivist and Supervisor Gillian Libbert started putting together a costume folder -- including fabric swatches -- and Pablo helped collect reference images from the comics. Libbert wanted to recommend Michael Mooney, the Assistant Costume Designer, to play this non-speaking role.

From the script, Vos was riding on top of a turbotank and another turbotank blasts him away, just as in the comic adaptation.

Side note: Intriguingly, Pablo also tells us that Tsui Choi (the little Jedi from Ratts Tyerell's species) nearly made it onto the Council. That woulda been awesome, since I really dig this character (from Jedi Council: Acts of War (2000), Republic #50, and Jedi: Dooku).
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)