Author Topic: Master Replicas Force FX Lightsabers  (Read 85355 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: Master Replicas Force FX Lightsabers
« Reply #270 on: October 19, 2005, 09:42 PM »
In the last couple weeks I've decided to get one of each blade color, and now am caught up with the exception of the Mace saber. I'm heading to GameStop to pick one up tonight, but wanted to make sure my understanding of the color situation was up to date before I did so.

Pardon me if it's been discussed earlier and I've missed it, but I gather that the comments about the color quality on the Mace saber applies to the version currently shipping, and this saber is a simple re-release instead of a revamp like the Borders ROTJ saber is, correct?

Is it really that bad, or should I get it and just be happy to have the purple blade?

I've heard more negatives than positives about the blade color.  I don't know that I want to drop $120 on it if the purple sucks.

SilverZ

« Reply #271 on: October 20, 2005, 04:26 PM »
Well I picked one up last night. The blade is splotchy from the red filter wrap around the blue LED, but I'm not that disappointed. It was a bit hard to swallow the $120 price tag at GameStop after getting the others for $99 at Borders last week.

If we were talking a 1-10 scale for quality based on the color performance and appearance alone, I'd rate the red and blue versions at a 9, the revamped green at an 8, and the purple at a 7.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 04:28 PM by Jared »

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2005, 05:44 PM »
Can you post a pic Jared of all 4 lit up?

I'm thinking about the Mace also, I just hope I can get some trade in value for my games.

SilverZ

« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2005, 06:14 PM »
I should have thought about that as well. Damn it.

Here's a pic I did of the three for a friend the other day. I'll do a new one tonight:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 06:15 PM by Jared »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 20, 2005, 11:52 PM »
This topic forced me to take my Mace saber out and actually put batteries in it.  My verdict.... it's pretty good.  Is it a deep, strong purple?  Nope.  Is it a good match for what appears on the box?  Yep.  Is it pretty true to Windu's saber from the movies?  Yep, I think it is.

I haven't seen my green yet, so I can't compare that.  But I'm guessing primary colors like blue, red or green are easy to do relative to something like purple.  I think they did a good job.  It's not as good as the Vader, but that's ok frankly.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2005, 12:07 AM »
Hmm, I'm still undecided until I see a good pic.  I called my GameStop and they'll only give $11 store credit on each of the 1st three seasons of South Park, so there went that idea.  I really don't have many Xbox games left to trade in either.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:08 AM by Holographic Elvis »

SilverZ

« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2005, 12:29 AM »
Here's a new shot with the Mace saber added. So I guess it looks ok.

I haven't seen my green yet, so I can't compare that.  But I'm guessing primary colors like blue, red or green are easy to do relative to something like purple.  I think they did a good job.  It's not as good as the Vader, but that's ok frankly.

Yeah, there's red, blue, and green LEDs. Purple uses blue with a filter.

I think I'm done with these now that I have all of the colors. The only thing that I'd really like to do is get something oddball, like if they bit the bullet and made a Yoda saber with super-low battery life because of hilt scale, or maybe the Maul sabers. I don't know.

I dread the removable blade saber they eluded to in the Comic Con Q&A...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:37 AM by Jared »

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2005, 12:58 AM »
Thanks Jared.  Maybe I will breakdown and get one.

I plan on getting the Maul next year.  Possibly the EpIII Obi-Wan.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 21, 2005, 01:13 AM »
Thanks for the pic Jared.  I actually think Mace's sticks out more than the others. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2005, 09:51 AM »
So, last night we were out and about and happened across a Borders bookstore. 

After playing with the sabers a bit, and remembering how I've pretty much craved one of these since watching some of the gang fool around with their sabers at C3, I finally caved.

I picked up the FX Luke Saber and I love it.  The color and sounds are great!  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 21, 2005, 10:11 AM »
These sabers sure look amazing.  This has always been my "holy grail" I guess of Star Wars collecting, I'd really like to get one (someday), but we just can't afford it right now.  I'm hoping that they will still be available if/when I can.  I'd like to get one of Luke's sabers, which of course seem to be the tougher ones to find.  We don't have any Borders in town, so the ROTJ is out of the question most likely.  I'm hoping to save up, just to have one of these, it sounds like all of you really enjoy them.  Hopefully this line continues.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2005, 12:03 AM »

I plan on getting the Maul next year.  Possibly the EpIII Obi-Wan.

I'm waiting for the Obi-Wan next year to round out my colors.  I wanted a different hilt on my blue saber and the Anakin/Luke blue hilts look too similar to the Vader hilt.  I expect the Obi hilt will be similar to something as well, but hopefully different enough. 

I too will be opting for the Maul saber.  Two of em.

Thanks for the pic Jared, looks great together like that.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jr87mustang

• Jedi Initiate
  • Have you seen this Kubrick???
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2005, 09:45 PM »
I had to take an unfortunate trip south last night to Modesto, CA (mother-in-law was in a car accident, shes ok).  I made the most of it by going to 2 Borders  on the way home to torture myself.  The first one I stopped at had 8 Luke ROTJ sabers, 4 Anakin's and 5 Vaders all for $99.  If I would have had one of those coupons on me for Borders I would have bought Anakin's.  I was not impressed at all at the way Lukes hilt looked  :-X it just looked.......fat. Anyways the other borders had about the same distribution of sabers. No Mace Windu sabers. If they would have had that I would have got one on the spot.  Its funny how I sometimes really debate gettting grocerys or Star Wars toys!!! ;)
Anyone got a ben for sale??

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #283 on: October 23, 2005, 02:01 AM »
Its funny how I sometimes really debate gettting grocerys or Star Wars toys!!! ;)

Meh....food can be overrated.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 23, 2005, 03:44 PM »
Well, I finally figured out how to hang my sabers so they cross.  THe link is below to my saber page.  You have to go all the way to the last page to view.

MR Sabers
Beth