Author Topic: Will the new TV shows make Star Wars weak?  (Read 6881 times)

Offline Napoleon

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Will the new TV shows make Star Wars weak?
« on: June 13, 2005, 05:04 PM »
Do you really think guys this TV serie's will be worth watching? And specially, will it be well done  enough to be accepted by Star Wars community?

Offline Commander JediSearch

• Jedi Initiate
  • Do what must be done... I support Order 66
    • View Profile
    • The Archive
Re: Will the new TV shows make Star Wars weak?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 08:24 PM »
I'm willing to give it a chance.  ;)
Stephen - Louisville, KY
Sandtroopers | KSWCC | My Collection

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 11:00 PM »
Everything gets ridiculed by the Star Wars community that is Star Wars.  Usually worse than the general public.  However, it just depends really.  We have to wait and see who the actors are how the stories go and what it is going to look like, etc.  At this point we really do not know all that much. 

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 11:05 AM »
The franchise is coming to a slow death, with the final film over and the masses attention span quickly diverting from the SW hype, I think Lucasfilm is doing what every smart business would do- a last attempt to milk it dry for whatever revenue it’s worth… and why not.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 03:55 PM »
Well I don't know if it really is dying a slow death.  I thought it was going to but now there is an animated series and a live action series coming.  ROTS has gone over pretty well with the general public along with the toy line IMO. 

Many are going to try and hate the TV series no matter how bad or good it may turn out to be already.  However, these TV series sometimes extend a franchise.  Star Trek the Next Generation sure did it for Star Trek.  Granted it's dead right now but that show helped it along another 10 years.  I just hope the entire focus is not going to be young Luke like we are hearing. 

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • CLICK HERE TO GET A COLLECTION VERY CHEAP
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 01:09 AM »
As long as they make the story line good and cool people in it then I think it would be somthing everyone whos ever liked star wars . I just started to love Star Wars again after 18 years and I think it would be so cool . Even more so cuase Star trek has gone to crap (atleast for now) . But as far as it being a Star Wars show and every day people wanting to see it and hard core Fans ... Im sure like with anything else they are gonna go for the people and not the hard core fans point of view in the story line . I still think it should be like a band of brothers type of story line... the reason for that is it can go from one place to another in the show just like that movie , and unlike in band of brothers where the war ends and so does the movie .... Star Wars never has to end. . .
CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE TO VIEW AND BUY MY COLLECTION !

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 2, 2005, 11:19 PM »
There is definitely an audience for SciFi on TV.

Star Wars on TV could rock, I think they ought to avoid playing with the main characters though, and definitely stick to the great continuity factor that is in all that is Star Wars.

It could be as simple as the story of a band of Clone troopers battling some place, or even jump into the past and have a big jedi/sith war going on.
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 2, 2005, 11:31 PM »
Come to think of it, Lucas purposely didn't show all the jedi getting killed off. Them fighting back as a guerilla force to get the sith would be neat.

they killed Cone head, I loved that guy!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 8, 2005, 06:16 PM »
IMHO - the reason why we didn't see some Jedi killed off leads me to believe that instead of a Young Luke Skywalker series, it will instead be a Young Darth Vader series.

Lucas could
(a) make it very much like the Fugitive where Vader is hunting Jedi
(b) include a young Boba Fett who would work along side Vader
(c) have there be a squadron of elite clones that work with Vader
(d) for sweeps occasionally bring out some heavy-hitters that would really appeal to fans - such as Vos or Shaak Ti

also - every once and a while you could break away from that and show how things are progressing with Young Luke and Young Leia. You could bring in the original actors from the PT and have them there for one or two special episodes - but that shouldn't be the focus of the show

I am given hope by the fact that Lucas wants to map out the entire year of episodes before filiming begins. At least he'll have some idea of where the season begins and how it ends and all of the details in between spread out over 20+ episodes. I know some people didn't necessarily like the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, but I enjoyed them and I think they were really well done - if they put that kind of effort into at least once season of the Star Wars TV show, it will be fine.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 8, 2005, 10:43 PM »
Young Indiana Jones Chronicles were great!  I loved them.

The problem with jumping around to see what Luke and Leia are up to is audiences just don't like having to follow such things.  That's why shows like the X-files were just cult shows.  Too much effort to figure out what is going on.

Reminds me of Babylon5.  I could never watch that show, I hadn't seen it from the start.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2005, 03:11 AM »
I'm sort of hoping for a misleading little quote let out by McCallum there a short while ago and a series that either focuses on the continuing Jedi Purge/Empire's Rise/Alliance's Formation, or something that focuses on Rebe Pilots/War (IE: Rogue Squadron, the TV Series).

I'm completely willing to give the shows a chance though.  That's the main thing to keep in mind.  Live-action is less likely to be "kiddie focused", while cartoons tend to be a mixed bag.  Clone Wars was a real hit though and I have to say that my faith in what LFL CAN do is there. 

Of course, all it takes is one Ewoks or Droids flashback to put me in my place as well...  Still, after Episode III, I really think Lucas has re-established some of his past abilities in my eyes.  I think he can really do SW on TV some justice.  The Young Indy series was well done too, that puts some weight in Lucas's corner.

I'm anxious to see what comes about...  It's all there is to look forward to short of books and whatnot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 08:23 PM »
oooh Definitely

and we KNOW we can count on Lucas' greed.  So if he needs cash for a future movie, he might be apt to sign away movie rights to a few of the better novels; instead of yet another re-re-release of the movies

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 12:31 AM »
and we KNOW we can count on Lucas' greed.  So if he needs cash for a future movie, he might be apt to sign away movie rights to a few of the better novels; instead of yet another re-re-release of the movies

Lucas has made a few poor decisions, but there's no way in hell he'd sign away rights to SW movies without him doing them.  Ever since the 70's when he started working on the movies, his number one requirement was to have full control of the movies.

I'll eat my own eyelids if that ever happens.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 03:25 AM »
Oh I'm sure he'll retain the Producer thing

just he'd not direct or write the dialouge (one can hope)

we've already seen how he tried to bum it off on Speilberg lol

Having a pre-written story will greatly speed things up too.  They just NEED to do the good books, and/or signifcantly fix the sorry ones. LOL when was the last time you saw a movie better than the book though?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: August 4, 2005, 02:06 AM »
Lucas has fought too damn hard to do things his own way to sign away movie rights to someone else.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk